Pope Accused of Spreading Heresy

Tpoppa

I grew up in a Catholic family. We attended semi regularly when my sister and myself were kids. After a certain age we stopped going semi regularly and only really went to church on holidays. After a certain age I refused to go even on the holidays because "whats the point" of going twice a year. Now my family rather spend quality time in our PJ's hanging out at the house instead of waking up, getting dressed and going to a over crowded church.

I'm not religious. I believe if I am a genuinely good person things will work out. :dunno:

So I'm screwed.

@what if you’re going to quote me how do you expect me to stay out of this thread? I thought we were friends. Jk

This is a txt I received from my daughter today  

DlDDJfg.png

WgO1gXz.png

jgdUG0D.png

This girl obviously has it rough and kids are cruel. I’m not sure my daughter would have the compassion she has for her without her faith. I understand what you are saying Andy about people taking advantage of vulnerable people, but I would argue that is exactly what the students are doing to this girl who is getting spit on during lunch. My daughter has gone out of her comfort zone and tried to befriend this girl and it may just end up saving a life. I’d like to tell you it’s because I have done an amazing job raising my 15 year old daughter, but I think it’s more about her faith and love for Jesus than anything I’ve done. 

2 hours ago, what said:

If people practiced their beliefs in private and then lived their lives by them, the world may be in a better place. 

I disagree. If my daughter practiced her beliefs in private this girl may have never reached out to her. I believe you said it or someone else did in this thread, it’s comforting to know someone is looking out for you. That to me is part of the good news/gospel about Jesus. He already looked out for us before we even knew him. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, durk said:

@what if you’re going to quote me how do you expect me to stay out of this thread? I thought we were friends. Jk

DlDDJfg.png

WgO1gXz.png

jgdUG0D.png

This girl obviously has it rough and kids are cruel. I’m not sure my daughter would have the compassion she has for her without her faith. I understand what you are saying Andy about people taking advantage of vulnerable people, but I would argue that is exactly what the students are doing to this girl who is getting spit on during lunch. My daughter has gone out of her comfort zone and tried to befriend this girl and it may just end up saving a life. I’d like to tell you it’s because I have done an amazing job raising my 15 year old daughter, but I think it’s more about her faith and love for Jesus than anything I’ve done. 

I disagree. If my daughter practiced her beliefs in private this girl may have never reached out to her. I believe you said it or someone else did in this thread, it’s comforting to know someone is looking out for you. That to me is part of the good news/gospel about Jesus. He already looked out for us before we even knew him. 

It would seem that you and your daughter are part of the good that organized religion is doing in the world. Again, I will not dispute the fact that people do wonderful things for one another in the name of their religion or beliefs. 

I will tell you that I view Christianity as more a book of philosophy than a book of absolute truths. Jesus' philosophy towards people and life are great ways to live one's life. If someone is following Jesus' advice to the letter there is very little harm to be done and a lot of good. The social aspect is where things get screwy, since that's introducing other people into your relationship with your god which can potentially be very damaging.  People are the problem, just like with communism. 

And c'mon buddy, of course we're friends. We just have different opinions and are having an interesting discussion about them. :) 

Edited by what

46 minutes ago, durk said:

DlDDJfg.png

WgO1gXz.png

jgdUG0D.png

First off, great of you and your daughter to get involved.  The world needs more people like you.  But it begs the questions..are you saying you only got involved because of religion, faith and not just because it's the right thing to do?  I certainly hope not.  Or do you feel that those 'poor bastards' that don't believe in god must lack compassion and would just look the other way?

Not only would I get involved....I have done say many times, multiple times this year in fact with people that were struggling with addiction and suicide.  I'm a super busy person, and could easily make excuses to not help people, but I still do.  Not because of faith, or god...because I'm not a shithead.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

But it begs the questions..are you saying you only got involved because of religion, faith and not just because it's the right thing to do? 

Not saying it’s the only reason my daughter or myself got involved. I know looking back at myself in high school, however, I doubt I would have befriended the girl who was getting spit on. I would like to think if I saw somebody do that I would have put a stop to it, but doubt befriending them would have crossed my selfish 15 year old mind. I feel that’s were my daughter’s love for Jesus comes in. 

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Or do you feel that those 'poor bastards' that don't believe in God must lack compassion and would just look the other way?

Never said this nor did I mean to come off that way. As I mentioned earlier there are multiple postings on here of people doing great things for others. What I do wonder is how 1 can think that following a teaching/religion/person that supports good morals can be a bad thing.

For instance maybe if those that are spitting on this girl in lunch heard some extra teachings on loving their neighbors as themselves, they may have refrained from doing it. Maybe they still would have, but I’m guessing it wouldn’t have hurt for them to hear it.

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

@durk well, I was having a good day until I read that latest post. Wtf are kids doing these days spitting on people. More kids now a days need to learn what it feels like to get their ass beat. 

Sorry to ruin your day buddy. People can be cruel. Not sure my daughter eats lunch with the girl but I think she told me she’s heard about it. Lots of people out there thinking of themselves and not worrying about how they treat others or make them feel. 

30 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

@durk well, I was having a good day until I read that latest post. Wtf are kids doing these days spitting on people. More kids now a days need to learn what it feels like to get their ass beat. 

Kids are dicks. 

7 minutes ago, what said:

Kids are dicks. 

Not all kids. I teach plenty of good kids. I would venture to say majority of the kids I teach are good kids. I’d guess there are 5-10% of the student population at my school that I’d rather not deal with. 

Using every tool/method available to raise your child to be the best possible human being that they can be seems like a good idea to me. All you people used Santa to make your kids be good. Explain the difference please.

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Using every tool/method available to raise your child to be the best possible human being that they can be seems like a good idea to me. All you people used Santa to make your kids be good. Explain the difference please.

If I believed in god I just might be offended.

I'm going to use my religion to help raise my kid if I ever have them. :dunno:

Don't wanna do homework? Then you can't ride.

Don't wanna do your chores? Then you can't ride.

Don't want to respect others? Then you can't ride.

Hell, if my mom didn't hate motorcycles so much and I got access to a pw50 as a kid, I may have won the Nobel Peace Prize by now or some shit.

• Upvote 1

If God is real, He lies somewhere between all the extra bullshit created by humankind. If God is omniscient, then He is beyond our comprehension and the limitations set in the Bible. It's funny to think a loving God cares who we love, when Jesus said to love everyone..especially those that would harm you. 

Faith and Religion are usually mutually exclusive for a reason. One is real. One is make believe. Which one you place where is a personal decision that only you can make. What seems reasonable to you may make zero sense to another. That's why faith should always be a personal thing that isn't swayed by politics or arbitrary rules. When you let someone else dictate how your life should be lived, you've allowed them to smudge your looking glass. That's when you lose perspective of what's important and what's not. 

I know loving believers and non-believers. Their commonality isn't faith in a higher power. It's a duty to our fellow man. Sort of like the Sermon on the Mount. America would do well to stop and pause for a moment and reflect upon what's really important. God or no God. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the chances of a supreme being being responsible for our existence is exactly 0%.  It's not a comment I make lightly.  

We have found simple life like bacteria on pieces of asteroids that have landed on earth.  We also have overwhelming fossil record of single cell simple life evolving into more complex life.  Understanding how life was seeded on earth isn't that all that difficult to understand.  Stephen Hawking even went as far as explaining how the universe was created without the need for a god.  http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/02/hawking.god.universe/index.html

• Beer 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Blitz said:

I find it very hard to believe that we, here on earth, happen to be the beneficiaries of enough happy coincidences to make us just extremely lucky to have conscious intelligence.

Earth a little closer to the sun, too hot for life. Earth a little further away, too cold. Earth a little bigger, too much gravity. A little smaller, we go flying off into space. Amino acids in the primordial soup line up perfectly to create the first proteins at random? DNA comes together to instruct cells how to behave spontaneously? Evolution, in its perfectly effective simplicity...just came about by accident?

Im sorry man, if you cannot see a beautiful intelligence in the creation of this world...you’re not looking hard enough.

You feel sorry because I can't see the alleged "intelligent" design of things around me?  I feel sorry for you because you worship a god that is supposed to be full of unconditional love yet wants to send the majority to eternal damnation & suffering.   Don't feel sorry for me man? I do see great beauty in nature & the universe & get much joy from this beauty.  I have no need to think that a man-like imaginary friend who has our best interest as his top priority is pulling the strings.  I trust in nature & rely on science to describe it in a way I can understand.  I realize that science will not have all the answers before man or nature erases humankind from existence but I think science is a lot more accurate than this bible people keep quoting.  The bible was written by men (why not women, because they're just put here to serve man, like the animals, lol?), & certainly not this alleged god, when science was pretty much yet to be born. Furthermore, separation of church & state was one of the best ideas of this country's founders.  Unfortunately, as of late, we have a lot of people that would like to change that.  Hope you're not one of them.

• Upvote 1