Buell 1125r school me

Killer_kaw

Been talking to a fella interested in my Meanstreak. He has a Buell he'd like to trade. I don't know shit about them. Anyone with experience or opinions. I did notice it has the Rotax engine less than 10,000 miles. 

i had a 1125CR.  They're a bit different from the 1125R, but more similar than different, if i remember right.

handled ok for being a big fat heavy bike.  turn in was kinda cumbersome (it's a heavy liter bike), front brakes were ok not anything to write home about. maintenance was very low, was mostly reliable for me.  past turn in, bike was very stable, held lines well, and accelerated like a big ole' v-twin should.  I seem to recall the stock programming having some fueling issues on the low end, but i think this is typical for big v-twins. 

biggest turn off is if you're keeping this bike for any length of time, consider that EBR/buell is on their what.... 2nd 3rd 4th bankruptcy now?  not sure what parts availability will be like. might be fine, might be non-existent.

looks are... umm... they're not for everyone, but some people really love the looks.  i actually thought my CR looked pretty gangsta, but then again, i had a yamaha FZ1, which must be the ugliest piece of garbage that was so comfy and pretty decent to ride "fast" there ever was.

12 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Been talking to a fella interested in my Meanstreak. He has a Buell he'd like to trade. I don't know shit about them. Anyone with experience or opinions. I did notice it has the Rotax engine less than 10,000 miles. 

Avoid the headache.

It's not a bad bike, actually it's a pretty good bike.  The motor is stout, the handling is good but, support sucked even when Buell/EBR was still around...it's worse now.  09s have a fatal flaw in the charging system that will fail at some point.  There are (were) charging fixes, but none of them were cheap.

Parts availability is an issue.  For example, they are belt drive, and the belts aren't still being manufactured.       

11 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Avoid the headache.

It's not a bad bike, actually it's a pretty good bike.  The motor is stout, the handling is good but, support sucked even when Buell/EBR was still around...it's worse now.  09s have a fatal flaw in the charging system that will fail at some point.  There are (were) charging fixes, but none of them were cheap.

Parts availability is an issue.  For example, they are belt drive, and the belts aren't still being manufactured.       

Good call. I checked into availability of some general maintenance parts and it wasn't good. I ride to much to have something I can't maintain. Sure do like that bike though. 

On 9/26/2017 at 8:55 AM, Tpoppa said:

There are chain conversions for them.  Maybe use the parts issue as a bargaining chip and see if you can work some cash into it on top of your trade?

I always liked the Buells.  Even the XBs.  Never owned one, for some of the reasons above, but also because the owners seem to way overvalue them...