Heritage 22lr/22mag

redkow97

21 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

My EDC is a KelTec PF9.  I know what it is and what it isn't.  It's compact enough that I actually carry it.   I can hit a paper plate sized target consistently at 5-7 yds.  I know it has a poor reputation for reliability in some circles.

Mine has never had a FTF or FTE - but I admit that I don't particularly enjoy shooting it, and don't shoot it very often.  I still have several hundred rounds through it, but probably fewer than a thousand. 

I carry it because it's almost completely forgettable.  I will probably get a glock 19 eventually, but that's obviously quite a bit larger than the PF9.  Assuming I love the 19, that might eventually lead to a 43.   I actually prefer Smith XDs over glocks (with admittedly limited range time with both), but the law enforcement pricing on the glocks can't be beaten... 

I used to have a PF9. I put several thousand rounds through it without a failure. I switched to a Bodyguard 380 now, wish I would have stayed in 9mm caliber.

I own a PF9 as well. I don't enjoy shooting it as you said. But I've never had a reliability problem with it or a feed issue. My complaint with it is the trigger pull. The Glock 43 is the same size and zero complaints with it. The 43 and 19 are my carries. 

If you're comfortable with it and accurate and the trigger doesn't bother you it's not a bad carry gun. 

Edited by MidgetTodd

I suppose my expectations from any DAO firearm are low. 

I am NOT accurate with it.  I mean, for what it is, I'm proficient with it, but I would like to be better... 

Ruger LC9-S is another one I've considered to replace it.

I wish I could find a compact 9 that I actually LIKE shooting.  The G19 or one of the 'not quite compact' XDs might be as close as I can get. 

Any of the LC line is a lateral move from the PF, not an upgrade. 

The 43 is far better but I still wouldn't call it enjoyable to shoot, no large caliber gun in that size will be enjoyable. But it's smooth, accurate, predictable and dependable. That would be my recommended replacement to the PF. Law enforcement price on it is right around 300 I think and I believe you qualify under their program. 

The 19 is very concealable and carriable with the right holster. I use a Raven Vanguard. 

...I need to stop reading the sale emails from the Point Blank location near my office.

I am still wanting a revolver.  In a perfect world, I'd get a 9mm revolver to have a dead-nuts reliable wheel gun that uses cheap ammo, but there is basically no such thing as a cheap 9mm revolver.

There seem to be numerous cheap 38 specials, and ammo isn't that much more expensive.   This would NOT be a concealed carry gun.  I might still take it camping or something, but I wouldn't want a snubnose.  Rock Island makes a 4" barrel 6-shooter.

So talk me into or out of a 38 special as an additional caliber in the cabinet. 

4 hours ago, redkow97 said:

I am still wanting a revolver.  In a perfect world, I'd get a 9mm revolver to have a dead-nuts reliable wheel gun that uses cheap ammo, but there is basically no such thing as a cheap 9mm revolver.. 

With high quality pistols like my Glocks, HKs, and XDm.  The only failures that I've had have been ammo related, as in primer was dented but no bang.  You'd have that same issue with a revolver.

Also:

Clearing a jam in a semi auto is going to take less time than reloading a revolver.

Most people can shoot a striker fired semi auto more accurately than a DA revolver ( I actually don't mind DA, but I'm probably the exception).

Consider price, capacity, size and weight and something like a Glock 19 or H&K VP9 (my new favorite pistol) seems like a pretty good choice.

So suck it up and buy a G19 or 17...

Maybe I'll have to spend more time with one from the rental case and see if I can adjust my grip enough to enjoy the G19.

If there's one happy side effect from that Chiappa revolver search, it was finding the 10 round 22lr revolver for $199.  That adequately fulfills my original desire for the Heritage Rough Rider, at a reasonable price-point, in a caliber I have thousands of on-hand.

I like shooting revolvers.  I used to have a bad ass, scoped .44mag that was an absolute tack driver.  But, I don't see that they have any tactical advantage over a semi.  You'd see them in more military or police action if they did.  YMMV.

• 3 months later...

I shot a G19 and G43 back-to-back on Friday.  My grouping with the 19 was 3-4" circle on a full magazine.  My grouping with the 43 was more like a dinner plate... and that's with a much smaller magazine.

I did decide that I want to shoot a handgun a lot more often though.  Saving pennies for an SR22 now.  I had my 10/22 out while everyone else was shooting 9mm on Friday, and I put 3-4 times as many rounds down range as them.  We traded the rifle around, which is why I was 'testing' the 19 and the 43 for a bit.