Speeding ticket handling

motocat12

i earned a ticket this week.

It doesn't come up online. but old ones do

i can pay by mail with check or money order but there's no price or address, and I have no stamps or envelopes. No appearance required but scheduled next week.

May just be easiest to contest it? or hope it goes away.

I got popped about three yrs. ago on the slab in N. Dayton...   I didn't have the time, nor want to return to court to contest it.  I lawyered up & got it changed to malfunctioning equipment violation or something like that.  Cost a few bux for the lawyer, but it kept my insurance rates the same, whereas an speeding excessive velocity award would've easily surpassed the cost of the lawyer by mucho $$$ for a LOT longer....  Friggin' insurance thieves...

Did you get ticketed in Ohio, or out of state?

I can't give you legal advice for anything in Ohio, but i can answer questions that might be hard to find online...

the quick things that jump to mind are:

If the speed limit is 54 or lower, it's a 0 point violation until you're going 5 over.

if the speed limit is 55 or higher, it's a 0 point violation until you're going 10 over.  (at that point it's a 2 point violation, and it doesn't jump to 4 point until you're at 30 over.  6 point violations are for 'street racing,' and OVI, or other serious offenses. The definition of "street racing" is very broad.  I'm surprised more group rides don't get popped for that...)

Court costs for moving violations are $107 where I practice.  If the Court is allowing a waiver, they issue a $50 fine and a bill for the $107 in Court costs.  Your jurisdiction may charge more for court costs, but tha'ts the ballpark you're in.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:41 PM, jacobhawkins said:

It takes a few days for the tickets to show up online.  Don't worry, it'll get there.

It would be nice for people paying by check to have more than 2 days for the mail to be sure to get it there before the court date. Then I imagine the payment doesn't appear online to verify it's handled before court either...

• 4 weeks later...

Hiro found it

I was offered a plea of 5 over no points $35 fine + court costs by the prosecutor.  I think I wanted traffic school/nonmoving no points But was confused if i should ask for school in addition to already offered no points:spank:. by then the judge couldn't change it (but said I could talk to prosecutor again and come back up in turn to plea and said I would have had to come back to court again with traffic school cert. won't know about ins raise till next year.