Trailer Build Help - Securing Ramps for travel

DerekClouser

So I have 2 wood ramps for loading my bike onto my trailer.  I've been thinking of ways to secure the wood ramps to the trailer for travel. 

My goal: 
A.) Prevent them from moving around while in travel.

B.)  I really don't want them to be able to bounce up and down independently of the trailer. 

C.)  Not required but would be nice to be able to lock them so if I leave the trailer somewhere overnight, someone can't easily take the ramps.

My initial idea was to put some sort of bolt through the bottom of the trailer and protrude through the top and then drill 2 holes into the ramps and then use a large wing nut on top to hold them down against the trailer.  Since I don't have a welder, I'm not sure how to secure the bolt to the bottom side of the trailer so they don't just fall out when not in use and doesn't really accomplish my ability to lock it down.

Anyone have any ideas? Also I'd prefer to not spend a million bucks either.  I was also thinking about some L brackets and mounting them and somehow securing it that way.  Just my brainstorming.  

Any help would greatly be appreciated.    Links or images to anything you mention would be super helpful too!  

Do you have a pic of your trailer so we can all see what you're working with?

If you have room under the trailer, this is a fairly cheap setup.  I'd use lengths of that perforated steel angle down both sides of each ramp so you can slide the ramps into it from the back end.  Could drill the lock straps to accommodate padlocks too, so they're secure

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Helmutt

58 minutes ago, Helmutt said:

Do you have a pic of your trailer so we can all see what you're working with?

If you have room under the trailer, this is a fairly cheap setup.  I'd use lengths of that perforated steel angle down both sides of each ramp so you can slide the ramps into it from the back end.  Could drill the lock straps to accommodate padlocks too, so they're secure

maxresdefault.jpg

trailer and ramps.png

trailer 2.png

Edited by DerekClouser

I'd use some channel on either side of the top deck to stand those ramps up on their sides - sort of like short walls.  Drill the ramps in a few places to pin them into the channels - they would help to keep debris from the trailer's tires away from the bike too.

Side note - You just strap those ramps together?  I would be afraid they would fold in on the tires once the weight of the bike is on 'em.   If it were me, I'd hinge them together underneath so they bottom out against each other under load.  

10 minutes ago, Helmutt said:

I'd use some channel on either side of the top deck to stand those ramps up on their sides - sort of like short walls.  Drill the ramps in a few places to pin them into the channels - they would help to keep debris from the trailer's tires away from the bike too.

Side note - You just strap those ramps together?  I would be afraid they would fold in on the tires once the weight of the bike is on 'em.   If it were me, I'd hinge them together underneath so they bottom out against each other under load.  

I've never had an issue before... the only issue I've ever had was the two ramps sliding apart and the bike starting to fall between them... that's why I strap them together now.... TBH most of the time, I just use one. 

31 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I've never had an issue before... the only issue I've ever had was the two ramps sliding apart and the bike starting to fall between them... that's why I strap them together now.... TBH most of the time, I just use one. 

That's what I do as well when I use my truck to haul bikes.  2 ramps, 1 for the bike and the other for me to walk up beside it.