Equifux

motocat12

On 9/13/2017 at 3:55 PM, M_Quick said:

March of 2016??? Your all over that!:lol:

after getting the report, there is nothing on it.  it was a question they had to freeze my credit.  maybe it was just a trick question.  but I started to panic for sure.  apparently 90% of everything I've ever purchased has used transunion.    all 3 companies do not have anything on them.  so I'm ok for now i guess.  all 3 have been frozen.

me and my brother have been talking about this.  He brought up a pretty good point that maybe because we don't really understand it or it's just something everyone is over looking.   that is you are giving out this info yourself on a regular basis.  think about all the forms you've filled out that needs your SS, drivers license number, current and previous addresses and so on.   when you apply for a job they want all of this.  the bike dealership has all this info if you applied for a loan, the DMV has all of this info, schools have all of this info, ever rent an apartment?  that landlord has all this info...and so on.  maybe this is actually being blown out of proportion?  if thieves want the info they really don't need to hack anything to get it. it's easily available to just about anyone.

maybe it's time to outlaw all these places wanting this info in the first place!

Edited by serpentracer

2 hours ago, Ron505 said:

Fack!  How do I freeze?  And are there consequences for freezing?  What can't I do?

What about the "free monitoring" that Credit Karma offers? 

To initiate your credit freeze via an online application please refer to the following links:

Trans Union - https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/securityFreeze/landingPage.jsp

Experian - https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

Equifax - https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

Trans and Experian are $5 to freeze in Ohio. I think Equifax is free for the time being (I can't remember). You can't get a new loan, credit card, etc. while it is frozen. You can 'thaw' it for another $5 which will allow creditors look at your report during a short window and then it refreezes. Depending on the lender, you may only need to thaw one of the reports, not all three.

Not sure about monitoring. It doesn't help if your identity has been stolen. Just tells you that it has so you can stop the hemorrhaging.

I froze all three. I'll need to thaw them next month due to buying a new car but the piece of mind is worth the $15 I'll spend. 

• Beer 2

I'm waiting for new Chase Visa cards since my old one was used to buy Tameka and Elijah Johnson plane tickets on Spirit Airlines departing Oakland, CA!  Can't say it had anything to to with the Equifax thing, but I'm still pissed off.

Chase covered the charge so it isn't costing me anything.  At least not directly - we all pay for this crap.

• 2 weeks later...