Did I buy the wrong replacement brake switch?

motocat12

My rear brakes (lights) were always on last week. I unplugged the front switch and they went off and the rear worked normal. Couldn't get the front  micro switch working on a bench test. Ordered a replacement switch with the same number stamped on it. BUT it has a flexible metal tab that covers the plastic plunger often comes up as a clutch switch but I've seen them as mirror images with the mounting opposite. This one appeared to work when i tested it to see if if it mattered which prong when where after I removed the plug to shrink wrap it because the wire was a bit short. Then when I plugged it in the brakes are on normal and off with the lever pulled. I know there are normal open and normal closed switches But the Brake lever pushes the plunger by default and and releases with the lever pulled.

10467175a.jpg

The one without the metal tab ( Aprilia OEM AP8127432 ) fits 2004 through 2009 Aprilia RSV 1000. The typical front brake switch for many bikes. (Aprilia, Ducati, Moto-Guzzi, KTM, etc) No clue what the one with metal tab is. I cannot find it anywhere. I would guess it's a reversed, normally closed switch for something obscure. The short wires were a clue, probably wrong part.

I ordered a ducati brake switch. before checking... it too is mirrored

Looking at a ducati forum where they suggest an unsealed 250vac radio shack switch(dual side mount). it has 3 spades....

I bet these 1022 switches do too under the epoxy. my old open switch has wires coming out in different place than the new closed switch.

The mirror mount tab thing may be an axial/radial lever "design".

switch switch.jpg

Edited by motocat12

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

why would they stamp both kinds all with the same number?

Only answer I got, is that the base of the switch might be a vendor sub-assembly (1022), and it's assembled into a final assembly. Might not have anything added other than a final part number. Which adds the new question, where's the final part number markings? If it's only on the part bag label that it came in, I'm not too impressed. I think the switch is French manufacture (1022), and used by Bremo and etc. But that could change to cheapest bidder in the future. This all seems like out-of-control manufacturing to me.

bought the above at micro center, the plunger is between the mounts instead of on the end like the stock switch and mounts are a bit off. Did a post op on the original switch. cut/melt the potting and you can swap the outside pins' wire and convert between closed open types.

switch.jpg