The new bike, be gone CBR, Welcome my new(ish) Suzuki

flashesbuck

So... Its a GSX650F. Not a whole lot out on the internet about this bike. But i cannot figure out why it never sold well? Its very torque for the size, well planted. Very comfortable. Blocks the wind, never got hot. Whats not to love. 

The bike is getting a fresh rear tire straight off. And also have some OEM turn signals in the mall to replace the squid blinkers. That right faring needs some work, but is functional for the rest of the season. Im kicking around the idea of getting a set of ebay, Chinese fairings for this thing. The Chinese crap looks good, but my past experience with them, is that they do not fit well and are a real pain to get on and off. 

20170906_070403.jpg

20170906_070357.jpg

5 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

How much is a replacement from Suzuki? If the rest of the plastic is nice, it may be better to just buy the OEM unit. Then again.. the right upper for my bike is $985. It can stay cracked for a while. :eek:

Ya know I have been trying to find the part number for the blue, all I can find is the part number for the black one. Yet I have not called anyone yet. The black is running 350ish I think. 

So I tore off the fairings to have a look-see inside, to make sure all is clear and correct and found that the lower drain pain has been removed. They used RTV to seal it back up. Really how hard is it to buy the correct gasket? Ugh. Now it has me wondering why they would have had the oil pain off? 

Bike has 21k on it, also looking at the valve cover bolts, looks like he was already in there and checked clearance perhaps. 

Am I the only one that looks over a used bike this much? 

Also currently just waiting on a rear tire and it's road ready! 

20170907_054159.jpg

20170907_055624.jpg

Edited by flashesbuck
Spelling goof

Clean machine! Nothing wrong with going over the bike with a fine toothed comb, I do the same when I buy a used bike. Oil pan could have been removed to fish out something that dropped into the engine during a valve adjustment. Had that happen to me on my Bandit 1200.

25 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

The orange rtv is amateur,  but I wouldn't be too concerned. 

It's starting to make a mess, maybe next spring I'll take it aports, and clean it up and put the proper gasket on it. None of the other parts seem to be messed with.

I also got a Hayes manual that looks well used with page markers throughout. 

They guy I got it off of didn't seem seem to know much about bikes, said he couldn't keep up with his buddys "busa" and wanted something faster... I don't think the CBR I traded him will do much better than this. 

I kinda wish I could talk to the original owner, I bet there is a store with this bike! 

Of course an OEM gasket is preferable, but I've used RTV as well.  It's legit.  But I will say, the only time I don't use OEM gaskets are when the edges were not clean or scarred/pitted where the gasket was not flat enough to make a solid seal.

And good for you for giving it a good look-over.  Would suggest changing out all fluids as you don't know when/if they were done.  THis way you have a new clean baseline.  Oil, brakes, coolant.  Also check over other wear parts (brake pads, chain, sprocket, spark plugs).

It's up and running great! It's amazing how smooth this bike is! I can not figure out why I never sold well. I believe it was only available for 2 years here in the US. And they never even sold the bandit variation here. 

I drained about 1/2 quart of oil out to bring it down to the correct level. Ugh. 

20170908_194306.jpg

20170908_194026.jpg

20170908_193932.jpg

• Upvote 2