My track bike conundrum.

Tonik

3 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I was wondering this. I don't know the situation cause I wasn't there, but do you think ABS would have caused a different outcome in your crash?

Yes, but what happened is still on me. I have 60K with ABS on the Whale. So I am mentally trained to brake like I have ABS if I feel the need. It's a great way to do it, until you don't have ABS. Then it really sucks.

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

Yes, but what happened is still on me. I have 60K with ABS on the Whale. So I am mentally trained to brake like I have ABS if I feel the need. It's a great way to do it, until you don't have ABS. Then it really sucks.

OK. As I am looking for a 2nd bike right now myself, I am trying to stay clear of non-ABS bikes just because I've grown so used to having ABS. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, what said:

I've never ridden a bike with ABS or TCS. Interested in trying one out someday. I would imagine ABS complicates brake fluid changes though... 

Not on the Whale, don't even know it's there other than there is more fluid to change.

FJR brake fluid changes are easy, as long as you don't let air into the abs block.  Basically, you push the old stuff out with new fluid and keep going until it comes out clean.  It's a little tricky because they are also linked brakes, but as long as you keep both reservoirs from going dry and sucking air, you're good.   Get a couple bubbles of air in there though and you'll spend the rest of the day getting them out. 

19 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

If track only I wouldnt get something without ABS.

I mean it can have it, but you will end up taking it off. 

I still have abs on mine and haven't run into any issues on track yet. Also the unified braking helps keep the back settled under hard braking since I never touch the back brake. It has also helped my confidence in trailing know the front isn't going to lock. 

18 hours ago, PhilD'oh! said:

FJR brake fluid changes are easy, as long as you don't let air into the abs block.  Basically, you push the old stuff out with new fluid and keep going until it comes out clean.  It's a little tricky because they are also linked brakes, but as long as you keep both reservoirs from going dry and sucking air, you're good.   Get a couple bubbles of air in there though and you'll spend the rest of the day getting them out. 

Made that mistake of letting my reservoir go dry once on mine. Took me 2 days to get a good feel back in to the lever. Did the zip tie trick over night worked awesome.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

I still have abs on mine and haven't run into any issues on track yet. Also the unified braking helps keep the back settled under hard braking since I never touch the back brake. It has also helped my confidence in trailing know the front isn't going to lock. 

Really? Theu must have figured it out on the R1. Thats about the first I have heard of it helping on the track, and I can see how it would help unless its too intrusive. 

1 hour ago, Jester_ said:

Really? Theu must have figured it out on the R1. Thats about the first I have heard of it helping on the track, and I can see how it would help unless its too intrusive. 

Most guys I know that removed it didn't even try it out. There are plenty of guys faster than me but having ABS on the bike isn't holding me back.

Unless you're a WSBK or MotoGP-level rider, I'd trust a computer designed by vehicle dynamics professionals with many hours of track testing, over my right hand when it comes to braking.

But that's just my personal opinion.  I've never had a bike with ABS, but I consider it a feature rather than a detriment to improving safety and lap times.

• Upvote 2