My track bike conundrum.

Tonik

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I don't claim to know fuck all about racing, but I do know technology.

This is pretty much the same argument every time new technology comes along.  There's no way launch control, or wheelie control, or traction control, or even a quick shifter can do better than a skilled, experienced racer.  Until they do.  Ask Josh Hayes.    

Has nothing to do with this and everything to do with getting the bike to do what you need it to do. There is a reason they are disabling it for racing and the race series not allowing them. Hell most bikes come with them now so there shouldn't be any added expense so I don't see cost being the issue.

19 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I had a 2008 SV650 with ABS that was absolutely dangerous.  The wheel wouldn't lock, but it basically disengaged the brake.   It took forever to stop, it was scary.

The linked C-ABS on had on my CBR and currently have on my VFR12 is light years ahead of that shitty Suzuki system.  I can try to lock up both tires on dry pavement, or wet, or gravel, and it just stops without even a wiggle.

The new R1, BWM, Aprilia, etc systems are even better.

you're also comparing bargain brakes to sportbike radials... what would the SV abs do with gsxr forks?

2 hours ago, motocat12 said:

you're also comparing bargain brakes to sportbike radials... what would the SV abs do with gsxr forks?

Certainly CBR & VFR brakes a better than SV brakes.

The CBR & VFR have a very nice combined ABS system that will stop the bike in the minimum possible distance for the given conditions.  If ABS engaged on either wheel, the system seamlessly engages the other brake and you just stop.  I'm not able to out brake it.

The SV ABS was not linked.  When ABS engaged all it did was reduce braking force (by quite a bit).  It took much longer to stop.  I could EASILY outbrake that shitty sytsem.  I sold that POS after owning it for around 500 miles.  

ABS on varied public road surfaces = good

ABS on a race track = variable outside of the rider's control that creates risk of more harm than good when milliseconds matter

i would test it before disabling it, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Lateral loss of grip is still the more common crash scenario...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

So yea, things just got interesting.  they gave me 4850 after deductible.

I would think you should be able to get a nice track bike with that money. 

4 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Pocket it for your policy renewal next year.

Do you think it will go up that much? Progressive payed out like $3500 to me when I cracked a quad frame after wrecking it. I don't remember my policy going up. At least not a significant amount to make me do a double take on it. I realize it was a quad and less money paid out, but it was still money they paid out. 

On 9/15/2017 at 3:28 PM, Tonik said:

So yea, things just got interesting.  they gave me 4850 after deductible.

Find a $2800 SV650 that someone else has set up well, but made ugly, then use the rest on funding a few weekends of riding, or new bodywork, if you must.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Before we pick, can we ask why only those two choices?

If we can only choose between those two, have any specific years you are looking at?

I was really leaning towards the CBR 600RR, then the ZX-6R caught my eye with a slightly larger engine but not too big.

13 and up for the CBR 600 RR because of the better rear suspension and a few extra ponies but I could be talked down to 2009. And that may make sense, save a few bucks and spend it on suspension.

Also 13 and up for the ZX-6R, that is when ABS started on those.

To be clear, ABS is still mandatory. Slipper clutch will be added to the CBR if I go that route. The Zx has one I believe.

Edited by Tonik

The new zx6r will be a better performing machine overall for what you get from factory.  If you plan on upgrading the bike later on to components that you want on the bike any bike is fine and the sky is the limit.