Mid-O October 9th

what

15 hours ago, blue03636 said:

I'll get on it this weekend. 

What, you dont want him ridding the 750??? Come on everyone needs to experience a near death experience! 

I actually need to get back on that thing to see how the new setup is... cant be any worse than the last one.

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

What, you dont want him ridding the 750??? Come on everyone needs to experience a near death experience! 

I actually need to get back on that thing to see how the new setup is... cant be any worse than the last one.

It needs a clutch. Either way I have to work on crap.

So since this kinda turned into an October 2nd track day thread...  Had a great day today.  Much fun in the pits with Jeff and John.  Track was perfect after the first session of sketch.  I was feeling good, running 47-49s.  Made some passes, got passed, man it was fun.  I don't think we had any agricultural experiences in I, or A for that matter?  I know I say it too much, but I could not be happier with this bike, its just so damn comfortable and confidence inspiring.  A little over 8100 miles in the year I've had it, a camping trip and an iron butt from Maine, weekend street rides, and 4 track days.  Perfect bike.

Looking good out there @F4iguy@jacobhawkins, and @J_Copeland. Jacob your lower body looks pretty good, plenty of foot clearance (which I struggle with, you should see my toe slider). Your upper body isnt bad, but your head is still center of bike. Get that head out there and try and kiss your mirror!

Can't wait to mix it up with you bubbies next year.

Edited by TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Looking good out there @F4iguy@jacobhawkins, and @J_Copeland. Jacob your lower body looks pretty good, plenty of foot clearance (which I struggle with, you should see my toe slider). Your upper body isnt bad, but your head is still center of bike. Get that head out there and try and kiss your mirror!

Tim how does 1 go about getting better foot clearance. I drag my toe slider at times on the street and I did it on the track as well. I previously thought maybe it was due to the boots I was wearing, I still have scraped a slider a time or 2 with the new boots. When I went to the track I got rained out before the coaches had a chance to follow me. I mentioned that was my 1 thing I really wanted to fix. The other guy that was riding in my group said tuck that stuff in. That didn't help my cause. 

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

@jacobhawkins has aftermarket rearsets.  In most cases, though, making sure you are on the balls of your feet helps.  I have stock rearsets and the only time I touched a toe slider was in the carousel at PittRace.

Edited by F4iguy

Raising rearsets helps, also getting off the bike more. If it feels like you're leaning off the bike "enough" but not "a lot", and are dragging toe before you feel your knee touch down, lean off more.

One thing about keeping lower stock rearsets on though is that you won't run out of tire before your toe touches down (on certain bikes). I'm going to go ahead and assume that they made it that way on purpose. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, F4iguy said:

@jacobhawkins has aftermarket rearsets.  In most cases, though, making sure you are on the balls of your feet helps.  I have stock rearsets and the only time I touched a toe slider was in the carousel at PittRace.

Regarding the rearsets, I'm not sure how much they move you back and up, spent about 2 weeks on stock ones so I can't remember.  (Got them for grip and to try out GP shift pattern)  First novice track day this year our coach was on my ass about foot position. Said to get almost on the outside of the peg.  That's probably him exaggerating trying to get me to move that way, but I haven't hit my toes since.  

@TimTheAzn, thanks for the head location note.  It's something I know I need to develop and getting shit for it keeps it in my mind!

4 hours ago, durk said:

Tim how does 1 go about getting better foot clearance. I drag my toe slider at times on the street and I did it on the track as well. I previously thought maybe it was due to the boots I was wearing, I still have scraped a slider a time or 2 with the new boots. When I went to the track I got rained out before the coaches had a chance to follow me. I mentioned that was my 1 thing I really wanted to fix. The other guy that was riding in my group said tuck that stuff in. That didn't help my cause. 

Being spooked mid-corner/ almost having my foot taken off has brought my foot position to the forefront of my attention lol. I just make sure I'm up high on the pegs on the balls of my feet.

Dont be the guy in the picture! lol Scrapped my toe so many times around that corner at summit but first did it in the carousel at Pitt.

33 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

@TimTheAzn, thanks for the head location note.  It's something I know I need to develop and getting shit for it keeps it in my mind!

It's something that I need to do myself as well...

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

@jacobhawkins

I need to work on my upper body position, I'm using a lot of tire here and getting my upper body lower and further out will help me pick the bike up but carry the same corner speed. My upper body is still too close to the center of my windscreen instead of out by my hand/ kissing the mirror.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My foot position has improved though :)

Edited by TimTheAzn

48 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Regarding the rearsets, I'm not sure how much they move you back and up, spent about 2 weeks on stock ones so I can't remember.  (Got them for grip and to try out GP shift pattern)  First novice track day this year our coach was on my ass about foot position. Said to get almost on the outside of the peg.  That's probably him exaggerating trying to get me to move that way, but I haven't hit my toes since.  

I had issues with my rearsets at the track but my bike isn't necessarily set up for track days... 

I'm working on getting my own suit so I can do more track days in the future, as well as looking for a rearset solution bc the passenger pegs are causing some of the issue, but Ducati = super expensive aftermarket rearsets for my Monster.  :nono:  

26 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

I had issues with my rearsets at the track but my bike isn't necessarily set up for track days... 

I'm working on getting my own suit so I can do more track days in the future, as well as looking for a rearset solution bc the passenger pegs are causing some of the issue, but Ducati = super expensive aftermarket rearsets for my Monster.  :nono:  

check for used aftermarket or see if stock rearsets from one of the ducati sportbikes fit your monster. 

6 minutes ago, what said:

check for used aftermarket or see if stock rearsets from one of the ducati sportbikes fit your monster. 

I've been searching for used stock one that I could have modified... the aftermarket ones are $1k...

I talked to the talked to the owner of the Ducati dealership to find out what options I have - not much really - turns out I guess I should have bought a 1200 instead of the 821... lol

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen. I think Andy might be onto my problem. I think I have more of a tendency to lean my upper body off and just stick my knee out. I don't really slide my butt off much. Definitely not half off half on. Maybe a quarter cheek at best. I do ride on the balls of my feet or with the peg between my toes and balls of my feet. It makes sense that if I slide off with my lower body my knee will be closer to the ground instead of my toe. 

Another one following @jacobhawkins for your viewing pleasure.  Nice double pass by both of us near the beginning.  When I saw it coming up, I was thinking "Jacob - go for it, I'm right behind you" and then as we are going around the keyhole and nearing the end of the turn, I was thinking "Jacob - hurry it up!!".  lol.  There are times when the wind noise isn't too bad, you can hear the two 675's winding up in unison.  Pretty cool.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1