FZ1 - new to me

Connie14

I picked up a 2006 gen 2 FZ1 today.  It has low milage <14k.  It has a set of 5 year old Contmotions that will get changed to some Dunlop Roadsmart 3s in the next week.  I have only briefly ridden it, but I think this will be a great compliment to the Connie.  It is comfortable,  light, and quick.  It has an aftermarket slip on pipe, but no reflash.  I may get it reflashed.  Any suggestions from other FZ1 owners? 

20170903_111309.jpg

20170903_111316.jpg

Edited by Connie14
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Great bike, this one and fz6 are very under rated overall but absolute perfect super fun street motorcycles. You gonna rip some twisties up on these after all those heavy handed Connie days. Change name to fizzer1? 

? Nah.  I am not getting rid of the Connie anytime soon.  You are right about the name selection.  It was short sited.

2006  is the same year as mine. It was the first model of this generation and had an issue with throttle snatch. Ivan's made a fuel cut off module that plugged in to the wire harness and keeps the fuel from completely shutting off when you turn off the throttle. It is most necessary on that year.  

It's the only thing I've done to mine. Great bike right out of the box but kind of heavy.  You will want to upgrade the seat and handlebars eventually.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, max power said:

2006  is the same year as mine. It was the first model of this generation and had an issue with throttle snatch. Ivan's made a fuel cut off module that plugged in to the wire harness and keeps the fuel from completely shutting off when you turn off the throttle. It is most necessary on that year.  

It's the only thing I've done to mine. Great bike right out of the box but kind of heavy.  You will want to upgrade the seat and handlebars eventually.

No need for the FCE of you flash.

I currently have a red 2006 FZ1 and used to have a red 2008. There was "snatch" issue with the throttle on the 2006 along with some cracked frames. Yamaha stood behind the cracked frame problem. You can read about the issues on the FZ1 owners association website. I really like the Gen 2's, it has great power, braking and handling with great ergo's. I would recommend the Seargent after market seat, they are really comfortable.   

Edited by ricer1
spelling

19 minutes ago, Ron505 said:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/index.php

^^This will be your friend!  Best bang for the buck in that price range as far as I'm concerned. 

I have been periodically checking that website for nearly a year while researching potential bikes.  It seems to be a good resource.

My initial thought is to do very little to the bike this year.  I want to put on some miles before making too many changes.  I can ride the Connie if I need to go long distances.  After a thousand miles or two, I will look at the reflash and other modifications.  I would like to ride one with a reflash to see if it's worth it.

15 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Eb, what happened? 

I was out on the CSBA ride in August and things were going well. Coming down 537 about 50 yards from 26 and locked up the rear, which I rarely use, and ended up doing an endo so I didn't go over the guardrail into oblivion.  Anyway, had to get the bike towed to Woodsfield. Ins company sent it to Marietta. Long story short it was gonna cost about $4500 to fix so they totaled it....it really didn't look that bad. Their check to me is in the mail so I'm on the hunt. Looking for a mid-weight Sports tourer or naked I could put bags on if I want.

Congrats. The FZ1 is one of those bikes I think about often, but always end up dismissing as more than necessary.  That said, its ability to accelerate even with a passenger is highly appealing.  For whatever reason, I also like the Honda "superhawk."  Maybe only because it should feel torquier with a passenger.

Edited by redkow97

20 hours ago, 600ZZ4eb said:

I was out on the CSBA ride in August and things were going well. Coming down 537 about 50 yards from 26 and locked up the rear, which I rarely use, and ended up doing an endo so I didn't go over the guardrail into oblivion.  Anyway, had to get the bike towed to Woodsfield. Ins company sent it to Marietta. Long story short it was gonna cost about $4500 to fix so they totaled it....it really didn't look that bad. Their check to me is in the mail so I'm on the hunt. Looking for a mid-weight Sports tourer or naked I could put bags on if I want.

if your bike doesn't look bad and easily fixable ask them what the buyback would be.  might be cheap.

22 hours ago, 600ZZ4eb said:

Your bag options are very limited on the FZ1 due to the stupid grab handles on the sides.