Recommendation for a supersport

KZ Kari

Hi all.

My daily rider is a 2006 Yamaha FZ6. I enjoy the bike, but I’ve had some interest in getting supersport for some time.

On Friday, I got the opportunity to test ride a 2017 Yamaha YZF-R6 at Iron Pony’s Yamaha Demo Day. I completely fell in love. Throughout the whole ride, I couldn’t stop smiling and giggling at how quickly I was able to accelerate and the overall handling. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. So much so, I’ve been very seriously considering getting one.

The problem…

My husband (who used to own a Ninja 636), says I’ll have issues with the overall comfort. I do have back, shoulder and wrist pains. Because of this, I wouldn’t want to sell or trade in my FZ6. So it comes down to am I willing to drop 11-12k on a bike that may become too uncomfortable to ride at times? I’m still on a bit of a high from the ride, so part of me says screw it, you only live once. Realistically, it would be unwise to do so.

From my understanding, I can’t just go to dealerships and test ride other makes and models of motorcycles until I find something else. The YZF-R6 is the only supersport I’ve ever ridden.

I’m looking for recommendations on a cheaper, comparable alternative. I really don’t have a loyalty to any particular make of motorcycle.  

Also, I’m looking for recommendations of a reputable dealers in the Columbus area to shop from.

I know these recommendations requests are pretty opened ended and I’ll likely get a wide range of responses, but at this point, I don’t know the right questions to ask.

I appreciate any help to get me headed in the right direction.

Considering the back, shoulder and wrist issues I would be looking at an FZ10 or FZ09. All the power and performance but the seating position you are used to.

But that isn't what you asked, you asked for something similar to the R6. So why not a mid- 2000's used R6. 04's and 5's can be had all day long with few miles for 4K or so. If it doesn't work you can sell it for pretty much what you paid. If it does work out you can keep it, or sell it for what you paid and go buy a new one if that is your preference.

Especially if you buy now in the fall when prices are deflated..make your decision and sell in the spring.

Pure genius.

For 400 bucks you can put a rear set and clip ons on the FZ6 and be in the same seating position as a supersport. Then you will know how it feels at the end of the day.

https://www.amazon.com/2004-2009-Yamaha-Danmoto-Billet-Rearsets/dp/B00OZ1EPGK

http://www.motosport.com/vortex-clipons?mmy=yamaha%3Bfz6%3B2006&mmy_source=pdp

Supersports become uncomfortable to me after about an hour of riding, I usually have to stop and stretch my legs every 45 mins to an hour. I'm taller than average though so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I can say that they are not built for comfort. 

A 6 hour ride on a supersport has about the same impact on me as a 12 hour ride on my Street Triple. If you don't plan on doing long days on the bike it may be fine. There are options to make them more comfortable as well like moving rearsets, getting bar risers, etc. 

Edited by what

I was the same way. So I got the CBR.  In my head I was thinking really how bad could it be? And yes you test road one for like 15mins maybe? If that's the type or riding you do, it's a good fit. 

Every morning I hope on my CBR to go to work, it puts a grin on my face... But about an hiur in, I'm ready to get off. 

I would definitely agree with others and find a used one. If you like it, then go faster. Also consider insurance, that's going to be a surprise. 

6 hours ago, Tonik said:

Considering the back, shoulder and wrist issues I would be looking at an FZ10 or FZ09. All the power and performance but the seating position you are used to.

But that isn't what you asked, you asked for something similar to the R6. So why not a mid- 2000's used R6. 04's and 5's can be had all day long with few miles for 4K or so. If it doesn't work you can sell it for pretty much what you paid. If it does work out you can keep it, or sell it for what you paid and go buy a new one if that is your preference.

Especially if you buy now in the fall when prices are deflated..make your decision and sell in the spring.

Thanks, Tonik. 

I like that advice. I begun and spent a lot of today looking at used models of the R6 (as well as a few others, but I'm still leaning towards the R6). I think that's the right approach. 

My husband intended to test ride the FZ-09 at the demo ride. He's been talking about getting one of those since spring. Unfortunately, it was unavailable for that day, but he was able to get on the FJ-09, which he really liked. That may also be a new bike in the garage by the end of the week. 

I'm not so sure about spending the $ to re position the seat on the FZ6 to to positioned like a supersport, although it's an interesting idea. If anything, I may look into ways to increase the power of the FZ6. I'm definitely going to look into the quick turn tube regardless if I purchase an R6 or not. 

1 hour ago, flashesbuck said:

I was the same way. So I got the CBR.  In my head I was thinking really how bad could it be? And yes you test road one for like 15mins maybe? If that's the type or riding you do, it's a good fit. 

Every morning I hope on my CBR to go to work, it puts a grin on my face... But about an hiur in, I'm ready to get off. 

I would definitely agree with others and find a used one. If you like it, then go faster. Also consider insurance, that's going to be a surprise. 

My test ride was closer to 40 mins. I did begin feeling some soreness in my wrist, but it was my face that was most sore from smiling/laughing the whole time. I truly loved it. My commute to work one way is about 40 mins. I don't ride too much longer than that at this point, but if I do, that's why I want to keep the FZ6. 

The insurance is a great point. I'll need to do a little research on that.

Thanks everyone!!  

I had an R6 which I sold bc it was so uncomfortable...  I loved it but after about an hour or so, I wanted to get off of it so badly I couldn't really take it on all day rides.  I had a 2006 and had no issues with the bike at all in the 2 years I had it.  Now I'm pretty tall and found the leg room cramped as well as pain in my wrists after a short time, but man it was fast and it made me smile just like you did on the test ride.  I was sad to see it go, but there's no way I could have taken it out of state like I did with my Monster.  Maybe you need to look at other/bigger bikes with upright ergo's?  Maybe look for other demo's to see if a super sport is really what you want? 

Good luck in your search!!

• Thanks 1

If you can afford it, buy the R6, keep the FZ.  If you find you later that that R6 is too painful, then you still have your FZ.  Or you can use the FZ for longer runs.

The thing with supersports is that your height, inseam, core strength all are factors in your comfort.  I have a '16 R1.  I have an hour commute with a mix of highway and backroads.   I can do all day rides, but I need to stop about every 1.5 hours.  I've ridden it from NEO to my sister's in Charleston WV.  I've done 4 day rides.   Need to learn to use your core muscles and squeeze with your legs to get the pressure off your wrists.  Sometimes I'm lazy on long rides and tuck down and rest my chest on the tank.  Constantly switch the foot position from toe to mid-sole to move things around.

I have no desire for anything but a SS.  So I'm willing to make the trade off.  But if it prevented me on long rides I would definitely consider another bike in a heartbeat.

All SS's are going to be similar in ergo's  Unless you are going to go to older models.  My '06 R1 is more comfortable than my '16 by a huge factor.

Good luck in your search. 

I've done 650 miles in a day on a CBR1000RR & the problem didn't have to do with anything above the waist. If you are putting weight on the bars you are doing it all wrong.  Problem with the race replicas for me at least,is the severely bent leg position.  Then again, I'm a 6'1"  codger.  Fairly comfortable on last Sunday's 435 miler on my Ninja 1000 although I did scrape the pegs a few times. (Tradeoff= leg comfort vs. cornering clearance)  Just make the wise decision & you will be happy.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:45 AM, mojocho said:

If you can afford it, buy the R6, keep the FZ.  If you find you later that that R6 is too painful, then you still have your FZ.  Or you can use the FZ for longer runs.

The thing with supersports is that your height, inseam, core strength all are factors in your comfort.  I have a '16 R1.  I have an hour commute with a mix of highway and backroads.   I can do all day rides, but I need to stop about every 1.5 hours.  I've ridden it from NEO to my sister's in Charleston WV.  I've done 4 day rides.   Need to learn to use your core muscles and squeeze with your legs to get the pressure off your wrists.  Sometimes I'm lazy on long rides and tuck down and rest my chest on the tank.  Constantly switch the foot position from toe to mid-sole to move things around.

I have no desire for anything but a SS.  So I'm willing to make the trade off.  But if it prevented me on long rides I would definitely consider another bike in a heartbeat.

All SS's are going to be similar in ergo's  Unless you are going to go to older models.  My '06 R1 is more comfortable than my '16 by a huge factor.

Good luck in your search. 

Thanks, mojocho. I did just that. I picked up a used 2008 R6 on Tuesday and will keep my FZ6. 

On 9/5/2017 at 10:58 AM, Isaac's Papa said:

You mentioned you have back issues. Why the interest in a supersport? You could switch to a more aggressive bar on the FZ6 and have a very capable/comfortable sportbike. They're not slow and hardly slower than the R6. It's the same engine with slightly more torque and slightly less hp. I find it hard to believe that 97 hp isn't enough to get the job done. What am i missing? 

I suppose asking about ways to increase performance on my FZ6 should have been my first go to question. I just had so much fun on the demo. The acceleration from the FZ6 to the R6 seemed to be a significant, the handling, the sound; I enjoyed it all. Maybe in the long run, I'll change my mind, or find it to be too uncomfortable to be worth it. For now, and while I have the resources to do so, I've gone ahead and have given it a shot. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2017 at 7:17 PM, jschaf said:

I've done 650 miles in a day on a CBR1000RR & the problem didn't have to do with anything above the waist. If you are putting weight on the bars you are doing it all wrong.  Problem with the race replicas for me at least,is the severely bent leg position.  Then again, I'm a 6'1"  codger.  Fairly comfortable on last Sunday's 435 miler on my Ninja 1000 although I did scrape the pegs a few times. (Tradeoff= leg comfort vs. cornering clearance)  Just make the wise decision & you will be happy.

I've gone on one ride with the "new to me" bike. I've was able to quickly find using my legs more helps tremendously. Definitely have more to learn, and plan on doing so. :-) 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, KZ Kari said:

Thanks, mojocho. I did just that. I picked up a used 2008 R6 on Tuesday and will keep my FZ6. 

I

Congrats!!  Nothing wrong with Multi-bike stables.  Enjoy your new ride!!  The nice thing about that gen R6 is that there are lot of aftermarket options to make it more or less aggressive.  After you get comfortable, you'll need to look at hitting the track where the R6 was designed for.  I've got a friend who we hooked on the track and now she hits the track a lot more than me.  STT has Ladies Only days that many find comfortable.