Tire Changers (in the market)

2talltim

Well you all know I eat through tires like a fat kid eats sugar in the WillyWonka factory. Just sold my 4 wheeler and have some cash in my pocket. I want a tire changer for my garage Been bouncing around different ideas from a cheap electric changer from ebay to a nomar (that are onsale this weekend by the way). Would like to be able to do car tires too but balancing those would be a issue without and spin machine. What do some of you all have and how do you like them. Any other ideas, thoughts or imputs are welcome as well 

Edited by 2talltim

I've been using a modified Gen 1 Harbor Freight for a lot of years now,  but if I were to have to buy now, it'd be a Nomar unit.  My HF paid for itself on the first set of tires.  No Mar would take a little longer, butvworth it. 

I also use the harbor freight setup with the moto attachment. I bought a mojolever for slipping them off and mojoblocks made to fit into the HF changing stand. Marc Parnes static balance works very well also. All equipment paid for itself in one season. 

9 hours ago, PhilD'oh! said:

I've been using a modified Gen 1 Harbor Freight for a lot of years now,  but if I were to have to buy now, it'd be a Nomar unit.  My HF paid for itself on the first set of tires.  No Mar would take a little longer, butvworth it. 

23 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

I also use the harbor freight setup with the moto attachment. I bought a mojolever for slipping them off and mojoblocks made to fit into the HF changing stand. Marc Parnes static balance works very well also. All equipment paid for itself in one season. 

This question is probaly more directed a Phil but do either of you guys have any problem breaking beads or getting a GT or A spec touring tire to go on or off? That is my concern with the HF unit also concerned about scratching the rim. 

I originally said the Nomar cylehill unit would be the cheapest route i would go but you two have made it interesting with the less than $150 set ups

Edited by 2talltim

The bead breaker on the HF unit works well. Just had to put some 2x4's together to lay tire on to not damage the rotors. I cut a piece out of a milk jug to wrap around breaker so I won't scratch rim. Mojoblocks do a good job of protecting rim I changer. I've mounted a spec angels for the zrx and they're harder but definitely doable. Technique with the bar has a lot to do with it. 

I agree with everything K-k said.  I use a piece of tire on the bead breaker hump to protect the rims from scratches and a 2x4 just like him to protect the brake disk, no problem breaking the bead.  The Mojoblocks keep you from scratching the rims when clamped down, but I don't go crazy cranking them down, rather just use a couple straps through the spokes to keep it from rotating.  The Mojo bar and some good lube make it possible to change even the stiffest wall tires, but it's mostly about technique, which will be true no matter which set up you go with.   I use a couple extra large quick clamps to pinch the tire beads together to keep them in the center of the wheel, that helps.  I drilled four holes in my garage floor and use some drop in lag bolt anchors to bolt the whole thing down so it's rock solid.  The 99% of the time it's not being used, it's stored up in the attic.  I know a lot of folks that aren't comfortable drilling holes in their concrete floor, so they bolt it to some plywood, seems to work. 

Okay just did the math and a HF set up with mojo upgrades with a bar and buying some lube will be around $250

Right now a No-mar cyclehill changer is $410 delivered comes with lube. 

A classic N0-mar changer is $600 deliverd with lube. 

OR

This power unit on ebay that gets really good reviews. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mayflower-Tire-Changer-Wheel-Changers-Machine-Rim-Clamp-560-1-5-HP-Horse-Power-/191735100025?epid=1356505172&hash=item2ca44d7279:g:jv8AAOSwhQhY2GH4

Also these combos with the spin machine for a few hundy more... http://www.ebay.com/itm/191735101343?ul_noapp=true

are my front runnners....

Edited by 2talltim

I had the HF setup years ago and thought it did the job just fine. Made the appropriate upgrades and really it seemed to work well.

One day I felt like spending money so I went ahead and got the $650 classic no mar and it's like night and day. 

Your budget will determine what works best, but I'd pick the no mar, when given the choice between it and the HF.

I also use a modified HF unit.  I helped a friend swap PR4-GTs on his C14 and had no problems.

I just bought a Nomar yellow thing and I'm excited to try it changing tires on the Bandit tomorrow or Monday.  If you wanna come over to the NE corner of Cols, you can watch/help.  Or you can bring your wheels & tires and we'll do all 4.

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Really leaning towards the no-mar classic. It's a forever changer, life time warranty solid as a rock no motor vavles or switches to break.

...and it's made in America.If you're going to the AIME show they might have some deals.Check their website for what days they're going to be there.

7 hours ago, drc32-0 said:

...and it's made in America.If you're going to the AIME show they might have some deals.Check their website for what days they're going to be there.

Deals going on right now labor day weekend sale. Think it's$110 off.

Order Placed went with the ultimate package just so I had everything of the same quality and company. Decided against the hitch mount right now didn't see a use for it at this time. This is what i got $868 with one extra tub of lube and shipping.  https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Classic_Model_Tire_Changer_Ultimate_Package_p/tc-classic-ultimate.htm

Edited by 2talltim
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

I'd consider the hitch mount.  I have the cycle hill and they don't have a hitch mount for it.

I don't have room to mount the tire changer to the floor so I've got it on a piece 1/2 inch plywood.  Sometimes on the stiffer front tires, I struggle and the whole changer rotates.  The tire mount would keep it solid.

I've had this for years and it's paid for itself.

Biggest advice I'd give is that the tires are much easier on and off when they are warm.  Either sitting in the sun or in front of a space heater.  They come off and on like butter.

2 minutes ago, mojocho said:

I'd consider the hitch mount.  I have the cycle hill and they don't have a hitch mount for it.

I don't have room to mount the tire changer to the floor so I've got it on a piece 1/2 inch plywood.  Sometimes on the stiffer front tires, I struggle and the whole changer rotates.  The tire mount would keep it solid.

I've had this for years and it's paid for itself.

Biggest advice I'd give is that the tires are much easier on and off when they are warm.  Either sitting in the sun or in front of a space heater.  They come off and on like butter.

Good info. Yea I'm bolting mine to the floor. I have 24x40 garage so I have plenty of room to put it.