My Battle with K&N

DerekClouser

Found this on Reddit along with the post about this incident. 

https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

[–]Already_got_schwifty 2 points 2 hours ago 

I found out MidOhio banned these the last time I went to the track. Said a guy blew an oil filter on the back straight and sprayed oil everywhere. Must have been one of these.

10 hours ago, cmh_sprint said:

Found this on Reddit along with the post about this incident. 

https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204

[–]Already_got_schwifty 2 points 2 hours ago 

I found out MidOhio banned these the last time I went to the track. Said a guy blew an oil filter on the back straight and sprayed oil everywhere. Must have been one of these.

Mine was a KN-138.  Clearly they have a problem across the board, but may just need enough reported cases before they announce an official recall. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well another update - Looks like I may have to go the legal route.   I've replied to the email letting them know I wasn't racing that I was participating in an instructional motorcycle class lead by instructors on a closed course.  We shall see how this goes from here. 

K&N Update.PNG

Good luck. If they can find a way out I'm sure they'll use it. The Performance Track Riding program at Mid Ohio is a rider safety/education school so... not racing. 

Also, pretty sure they market their products as racing/performance products. 

8 minutes ago, what said:

Good luck. If they can find a way out I'm sure they'll use it. The Performance Track Riding program at Mid Ohio is a rider safety/education school so... not racing. 

Also, pretty sure they market their products as racing/performance products. 

I've got a few screen captures from their website. 

'K&N Wrench off Performance Gold - Oil filters are great for race applications'

K&N Website KN-138 Racers can safety wire.PNG

K&N Website with 'Designed for race applications'.PNG

Edited by DerekClouser

2 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Reply to them and ask if they want a class action law suit. That will get their attention.....

Trying to avoid threatening them because I feel that rarely works. I still have a few things I kept up my sleeve in the event this goes further.  I've got full recordings of everything that happened that day, including the crash and aftermath.  (Benefits of being a motovlogger) -  My best friend growing up is an attorney and said he'd draft me a letter to send to them if they don't get me a response in the near future.  If I have too, he will also help me file a small claims lawsuit and I'll be including all of the other damaged stuff that I didn't include in the original request along with mounting/balancing and include costs for labor and if I'm permitted by law, include attorney fees (my buddy said I might not be able to include that though).    

I'm still going to give them the opportunity to do the right thing before I move forward, but I'm only going to wait a little bit longer without a resolution. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, max power said:

Why does it have a spray painted worm gear clamp around it?

That is what you use to wire tie the filter to the bike. Hook a wire to it, pull in the direction of tightening...so it can't get loose. Pointless obviously on a k and n filter.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, max power said:

Why does it have a spray painted worm gear clamp around it?

Safety wire to prevent it from screwing off while riding. Required by most race tracks.

Is it just me or does it appear in the video that the bolt is pressing against the filter nut? I dont think that is possible in most MC applications.

Edited by CBBaron

its not it is clear... this is on an 08-16 r6... i know as i USED to use KN on my bike... with GP shift as show here it is closer than standard shift but it clears just fine.. the angle here is horrible making it seem like the tolerance is  very tight when its really not...

this goes hopefully with out saying but stop using KN !!!

and yes the band clamp is REQUIRED at all RACING orgs  just as  drain plugs and so on..  back in the early days of failure i saw a lot of people have the KN  nut safety wired and pulling so we thought the failures were do to that