My Battle with K&N

DerekClouser

23 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

They should deal with water better due to the groves even though most race DOT have just enough to qualify as one. It's debatable, I just came in here to bust Tim's balls.

Well, it's possible to bust Tim's balls and learn a thing or two in the process. At least I think it is and I'm willing to test the theory out. 

sounds like they're going to be reasonable here.  just make sure you take pics of every tiny detail of that filter before you send it in since you'll no longer have physical evidence of the failed filter (beyond pics) once you send it to them.  Any way to get it in writing that they'll retain and return the filter after their examination?

good luck!

20 minutes ago, max power said:

Don't forget the cost of tire mounting.

Yes, sore arms, cut fingers and about 45 minutes of frustration because you can't get the god damn bead to set is pretty costly...

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, what said:

Yes, sore arms, cut fingers and about 45 minutes of frustration because you can't get the god damn bead to set is pretty costly...

Oh how I don't miss this one bit. I've done several dirt bike tires with spoons, it sucks. Tire machine FTW.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JustinNck1 said:

Oh how I don't miss this one bit. I've done several dirt bike tires with spoons, it sucks. Tire machine FTW.

700$ for a tire machine/balancer from NoMar is well worth the investment.  I concur... It's paid for itself well over by now. 

1 minute ago, DerekClouser said:

700$ for a tire machine/balancer from NoMar is well worth the investment.  I concur... It's paid for itself well over by now. 

$1099 for the full pneumatic/electric like the one I use. It's worth the extra bucks to just step on pedals.

Just now, JustinNck1 said:

$1099 for the full pneumatic/electric like the one I use. It's worth the extra bucks to just step on pedals.

That's definitely nice, but once you learn the technique, it really isn't all that hard.  If you aren't using the right technique, it always seemed to be fighting itself. . 

Just now, DerekClouser said:

That's definitely nice, but once you learn the technique, it really isn't all that hard.  If you aren't using the right technique, it always seemed to be fighting itself. . 

Yeah definitely. I've seen people who are skilled with a No-Mar make quick work of changing tires.

6 minutes ago, what said:

Don't forget all the emotional stress and pain and suffering as well. That pays millions in court. 

I can assure you it was very stressful for me, can't imagine what it was like for him. He accused of a hot lap and going back around, but the truth is I wanted to see my buddy up and moving around. But don't tell him, I got a rep to maintain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  They are pony'ing up the $1400.  Just requiring a general release from further litigation. 

Little bit of a hassle but they sent all they needed in one email.  Although, I did have to follow up to get an answer, it wasn't too overly complicated. 

Here is the email I received (after requesting an update)

Derek,

Sorry for the delay. I did have your claim reviewed and following is what we show:

Tire                                        $159.66

Bar end slider                    $187.67

Helmet                                 $549.99

Boots                                    $179.99

Under cowl cover             $265.05

Total:                                     $1,342.36

Attached please find a General Release for your review and signature.  Please sign the bottom of the General Release where indicated and return the General Release to me via e-mail (please forward the original General Release by mail to: K&N Engineering, 1455 Citrus St., Riverside, CA 92507). 

Once I receive the executed General Release (via e-mail) I will issue you a check in the amount of $1,342.36.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you,

• Upvote 4

Dayum, good going Derek. Honestly when u said u were gonna do this I was like... "yea right.. good luck buddy" . Dang it you pulled it off. But they are a good bunch of folks and you are a good guy. I guess overall a good outcome. Good good. 

Good... just had had to say it again. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

But they are a good bunch of folks

I love you man, but no they are not.  They are Fucktards. They are knowing selling a defective product that could have killed Derek because it is cheaper and easier to just make the insurance claim.

6 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I love you man, but no they are not.  They are Fucktards. They are knowing selling a defective product that could have killed Derek because it is cheaper and easier to just make the insurance claim.

There's truth to that since they've not redesigned their product, even though there's been a lot of claims paid out for failures of their current design.  Glad to hear @DerekClouser is getting paid back for his losses, but had there been medical bills involved......I'm curious whether or not they'd offered a settlement as quickly as they did?

49 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

There's truth to that since they've not redesigned their product, even though there's been a lot of claims paid out for failures of their current design.  Glad to hear @DerekClouser is getting paid back for his losses, but had there been medical bills involved......I'm curious whether or not they'd offered a settlement as quickly as they did?

Dunno but I'm telling everybody I see that will listen to never buy another K&N oil filter again. Hell, I was telling people at the Watkin's Glen Vintage Grand Prix over the weekend to replace the oil filter in their vintage cars because the hex nut weld on the end of the K&N fails and they said they would stop using them. 

Once enough people are doing what I'm doing maybe K&N will do the right thing and stop mucking about trying to sidestep responsibility for profit. 

They did request the filter information (including origin) and paid for me to ship my faulty filter back to them for testing, so hopefully they are trying to tie down where the faulty ones are being manufactured and can remedy the issues. 

I honestly kept the damages low from what I probably 'could' have gone for, but I didn't want to have to deal with courts or pushing it too far so I kept it fair at 1400$ to speed the process through.  I'm not that particular and can deal with little scratches to the fairing so probably won't replace that and I was able to save the tire, too.  So I will probably get an upgraded race suit out of the deal for my inconveniences and 'pain and suffering' and K&N has more information on their faulty product.  

I know I will never use K&N again.     

• Upvote 1