My Battle with K&N

DerekClouser

As most of you already know, my K&N Oil Filter failed, resulting in my dumping oil down the back stretch of Mid-Ohio causing me to crash.  

After doing much research, I've seen this isn't an isolated incident, resulting in many tracks and race organizations banning the filter itself. 

I've reached out to K&N demanding they reimburse me for the damages sustained to my motorcycle and riding gear. 

I figured I'd let you guys know the process as it unfolds and get input (if needed) down the road.

Note:  I may have to remove this entire post if required by attorneys/K&N as a resolution, but as of now, nothing has been said.

Step 1: Reaching out to K&N and explaining the situation.  I received an email back from their warranty department stating this: 

Derek,

We are truly sorry to hear of your experience. Please send me a photo of the code by the nut on the filter and of the side of the filter to show the country of origin.

I have attached a form with required information. Please fill out the form and send in the photos and receipts requested.

Once I have your address I will have UPS send you a shipping label to get the filter back for inspection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Shannon [redacted]

Warranty Department

The document asked for the following information:

Customer Information (Name, Address, Phone Number, Email)

Vehicle Information (Year, make, model, engine size, VIN, Vehicle Use, Mileage, Owner)

Oil Filter Information (Part Number, Serial N umber, Country of Origin, Purchase Date, Purchased from, Total Miles on the Filter)

Repair Facility (Name, Address, Phone Number, Email)

General Information (Date Incident Occured, Description of Events during Incident, Status of Vehicle, Any Engine Work Done Recently)

Then they wanted me to supply an estimate of the amount and nature of the expenses and total amount of claim.  Mine happened to come to $1334.80.

When was the last Oil Change and receipt for the oil filter.

Then they wanted me to order an oil test kit (free) from Blackstone Labs for testing.  Completed that and shipped back (paid for by K&N)

They want pictures of all damages and the oil filter.  They also state that they were supposed to send me a prepaid postage for the oil filter for inspection (still haven't received that)

Lastly they state to save all parts as they may require me to ship the parts to them for inspection. 

I've submitted all the information back to Shannon and waiting response.  I will keep you guys filled in as the process continues.  For those curious, I'm asking for them to reimburse me for the rear tire, my helmet, my boots, right side fairing, bar end, and stator cover. 

16 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Estimate of loss seems low to me. Side of the bike is ok? Did it also include new underwear for me. I can send pics if you need them.

7 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Aim high Willis, aim high.

Honestly, I was hoping that keeping it reasonable wouldn't flag anything and just pass it through.  I originally was going to have them replace my suit and gloves too but there's no real damage to them so I can't send pictures of any damages.  

Just now, DerekClouser said:

Honestly, I was hoping that keeping it reasonable wouldn't flag anything and just pass it through.  I originally was going to have them replace my suit and gloves too but there's no real damage to them so I can't send pictures of any damages.  

Where does the $1334.80 come from?

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Estimate of loss seems low to me. Side of the bike is ok? Did it also include new underwear for me. I can send pics if you need them.

The photos of your colon were enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

I wish I could request that NJMP replace the helmet I ruined that cost about 3/4 of what your asking for all that stuff because the track wasnt dry. :lol::(

Mine was a result of a product failure... not of my own stupidity.. 

:lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

Oh keep riding on the track, you'll see what happens eventually.

I don't deny the risks... my mistakes and I'll own it.... but a known product failure by a company that puts people at high risk deserves recourse. 

Just now, DerekClouser said:

I don't deny the risks... my mistakes and I'll own it.... but a known product failure by a company that puts people at high risk deserves recourse. 

I dont disagree. But I also dont see that crash of mine due to stupidity, it was just me picking up the pace throughout the day and I hit the limit of traction per the lean angle and dampness on the slick. :dunno: You live and you learn...

5 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I dont disagree. But I also dont see that crash of mine due to stupidity, it was just me picking up the pace throughout the day and I hit the limit of traction per the lean angle and dampness on the slick. :dunno: You live and you learn...

A 1k on a wet track with what kind of tires again? :D

13 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I think there is a high chance of them taking care of you here. If they don't like you said the alternative is attorney fees and those will cost them more than your asking for just to start a defense.

According to the internets, K&N has been paying out. What you've asked for seems reasonable, Derek. I would certainly want my fairings, sliders and tire replaced if I were in your situation. I would probably want my boots replaced too if they were drenched in motor oil. I don't know how you'd ever get them clean... 

4 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

Also, I'm not defending anyone's statements just making fun of Tim. :)

I would assume that DOTs have better sticktion in the damp than slicks? Since they are designed to run at a wider temperature range than slicks are. Also most of the dual compound DOTs run silica on the shoulders which has better wet traction than regular rubber. 

Though I've never run slicks. 

Edited by what

Just now, what said:

I would assume that DOTs have better sticktion in the damp than slicks? Since they are designed to run at a wider temperature range than slicks are. 

Though I've never run slicks. 

They should deal with water better due to the groves even though most race DOT have just enough to qualify as one. It's debatable, I just came in here to bust Tim's balls.