Paint - Color Rite to PPG

natedogg624

I'm trying to figure out the PPG color code for fresh paint on my 07 Yamaha R6 tank. I'm going back to the OE charcoal gray which from the parts fiche and color-rite is:

OE Color Code: DBNM8
Color-Rite Color Code: 0919 - Dark Bluish Gray Metallic 8

The auto body shop where I work can paint with PPG codes no problem but they do not have color match capabilities (if I bring in bodywork) and the places that can color match around here will only give the code if I buy the paint too.

Any advice or resources to help on this topic? 

33 minutes ago, natedogg624 said:

I'm trying to figure out the PPG color code for fresh paint on my 07 Yamaha R6 tank. I'm going back to the OE charcoal gray which from the parts fiche and color-rite is:

OE Color Code: DBNM8
Color-Rite Color Code: 0919 - Dark Bluish Gray Metallic 8

The auto body shop where I work can paint with PPG codes no problem but they do not have color match capabilities (if I bring in bodywork) and the places that can color match around here will only give the code if I buy the paint too.

Any advice or resources to help on this topic? 

Any decent automotive paint store will have the gizmo to scan an old part and match it. I am really surprised the body shop you talked to didn't say that and say they would handle it.

Color Rite matches are really a gamble. I have had better luck with these folks. And the sell pints and quarts.

But a good jobber can scan it in a heartbeat.

https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-paint/motorcycle/

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Any decent automotive paint store will have the gizmo to scan an old part and match it. I am really surprised the body shop you talked to didn't say that and say they would handle it.

Color Rite matches are really a gamble. I have had better luck with these folks. And the sell pints and quarts.

But a good jobber can scan it in a heartbeat.

https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-paint/motorcycle/

I agree but it is what it is. I've read some color rite stories and definitely want to stay away from that. 

So then keep searching for a body shop that'll be able to give me the code? Is there any resource online to cross-reference?

8 hours ago, natedogg624 said:

I agree but it is what it is. I've read some color rite stories and definitely want to stay away from that. 

So then keep searching for a body shop that'll be able to give me the code? Is there any resource online to cross-reference?

Bypass the body shops. Go to where they get their paint. It will be just like a local auto parts store, they are called Jobbers. Often regular parts stores also sell paint to body shops.