MA at PIRC vs Mid-Ohio

Lawrence1

It was a good day to be at the races. Kudos to Roger Hayden, he was on fire! After the red flag he proved again he was the best there today.

Now, there's no way attendance was better than Lexington. Looked sparse to me. Not much for the spectator other than the hill, which really isn't that great, some of the riders would get a little air coming over the hill but thats about it, I seen 3 passes in the s curves on the other side. Bleachers amounted to something you might see at a little league game. One part of the track you couldn't even see because of vegetation in the way. I scoff, give me the bleachers  at the end of Mid-Ohio's back straight over this any day.

Sweet umbrella girls though.  Gotta lov'em!  One of them was showing some cheeks! Never seen that at Mid-Ohio. Them boys got an education today.

I also say give it some time. This was the first major event like this at PIRC. They're dumping a lot of money into the place, I'm sure you saw the construction for the new timing/scoring tower? We've all made comments to them about spectating/bleachers etc. and they seemed open to suggestions. One idea we threw out there is a bridge somewhere over T1 area to get you to the infield, with bleachers up on the hill where that "vegetation" is. If they had bleachers there and you could see behind you, you'd almost be able to see the whole track at once. 

51 minutes ago, TRMN8TR said:

One idea we threw out there is a bridge somewhere over T1 area to get you to the infield, with bleachers up on the hill where that "vegetation" is. If they had bleachers there and you could see behind you, you'd almost be able to see the whole track at once. 

Steve and I were looking at this yesterday, another nice spot would be out near T3, you could maybe see down in to T5 from there which no one can see.

The ownership does seem willing to listen to requests and suggestions and spend money, so I'm hoping they'll be able to improve the spectator experience, within the confines of the property's limitations. Saturday attendance seemed noticeably larger than Sunday's. Definitely a lot of people from Ohio. Here's my Saturday and Sunday coverage at RevZilla.

On Friday night I overheard a conversation between one of the owners of MotoAmerica and another guy that they really want to run at Mid-O but they won't do it until the track is resurfaced and safe in cold/wet conditions. 

The facilities are much much nicer at PIRC. The track also saw that there was a problem on Saturday with a lack of food vendors for the amount of people and corrected the problem overnight instead of just letting things remain as they were, which I give them huge props for. That means they are proactive and actually concerned with providing a good experience for their visitors and not happy to settle and that attitude I'm sure makes its way into all other aspects of running the track/facility. 

I would really like to see more motorcycle events at Mid-O since it's less than an hour away and has a lot of options for spectators, however it's not really even worth thinking about until the track is resurfaced at the very least. Hopefully the rumors I heard that they are planning on repaving in the next year or two are true... 

Edited by what

11 minutes ago, TRMN8TR said:

Haha ok so the bridge is out. Maybe a tunnel? :dunno:

a tunnel would probably be more, since they would have to tear up the track surface to install/pour load-bearing structure >.>

$1M seems high for a person-bridge...

6 minutes ago, TRMN8TR said:

teleporter?

Technically a matter-reassembler, but yes that may be the best option. The only drawback is you die and your clone gets to watch the rest of the race. But then your clone dies when it/you leave the infield and is replaced by yet another clone so that's pretty close to the instant karma it deserved for stealing your life and mindlessly enjoying what you (god rest your soul) wanted to watch in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, what said:

Technically a matter-reassembler, but yes that may be the best option. The only drawback is you die and your clone gets to watch the rest of the race. But then your clone dies when it/you leave the infield and is replaced by yet another clone so that's pretty close to the instant karma it deserved for stealing your life and mindlessly enjoying what you (god rest your soul) wanted to watch in the first place. 

What about those tubes that banks use?? It'd just suck people over to the other side.

PIRC would be better served to spend money on gravel traps and air fence. It's a very nice track, but with all the Armco, it would scare the hell out of me to race their.

As spectaculars go, the crowed was rather small if you consider there is only one major viewing area. Consider that amount of people spread out at Mid Ohio and it would look empty.

I miss the old days at Mid O when it was shoulder to shoulder pretty much everywhere. There were 10+ places to eat and vendors were spread out over the entire infield.

To put it bluntly, these are two facilities moving in opposite directions. PIRC has been on a consistent path of improvement, and has engaged their clients and customers as they have gone alone. Mid Ohio (or the new Nelson Ledges, as one friend labeled it) continues to slowly deteriorate with no inclination to improve. I think we're more apt to see further changes to PIRC (the aforementioned gravel traps and additional airfence a must have for the next major racing event) than we are to MidOH. Heartbreaking as it may be for us Buckeyes that have long standing fond memories of the place in its heyday.