Motus MST Demo Ride

JustinNck1

So today, I got to take a 2017 Motus MST for a demo ride at the MSTA Rally in Marietta. I went with just myself and a control rider for a 25 mile or so loop, up 77 for a couple miles then through the hills and over to the fresh pavement on 26.

For a $30k+ motorcycle, it leaves a lot to be refined. The throttle is very twitchy down in lower rpms, even the sales guy said they are working on a new throttle map for the bike, due to many complaints about the abruptness of the throttle. The seating position is very good (and I can sit flat footed on it with my knees bent. I tip toe the FJR), wind protection sucks. The power down low is kinda dull, but then get up to 5k rpms and your face melts off (Much like getting up on the pipe on a 2 stroke).

IMO, if I am paying $30k+ for a bike, I want ABS, traction control, and wheelie control (It comes up easy). The suspension is probably the best I've ever felt (Ohlins of course). The brembos were good, I didn't wanna test them too much with an unfamiliar bike, no ABS, and a clause that clearly stated if I broke it, I bought it. 5th and 6th gear are both overdrive, so on twisties, the bike is always a 2nd or 3rd gear to be in the power. The cruise control is weird to set, since it uses the starter button. No way to advance or resume cruise without completely cancelling it and resetting.

Absolutely could not get the bike to go into neutral while running, even the sales guy was like "Just turn it off and it will go into neutral". The TFT dash is awesome, but it is very low and hard to read, but I could see getting used to it.

But it's all about the motor. It just makes you wanna rip the shit out of it every straightaway though. It sounds amazing with the Akrapovic system. It does have some vibration in the bars are expected, it ain't no inline 4.

It's a fun bike, but no replacement for my idea of a sport touring bike. I know I am being critical of the bike, but it's double the price of the Sport Touring Competition. I mean hell, I know I am picky, but who makes a specifically designed Sport Tourer and makes it chain drive?! It was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it. If anyone wants to try it themselves, the dealer is called "CCM of Northern Kentucky" They are just below Cincinnati and offer demo rides for all their bikes apparently.20170826_183934.thumb.jpg.d5d4de967ec1082e65266be0c8bde5f8.jpg

Edited by JustinNck1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I got to ride the MST-R last year.  Kinda had the same impression with the bike as you do.  It's a really nice bike but doesn't quite have the refinement of an established brand that is building it's new bikes off the foundation of those that came before.  Nothing felt cheap or that it was poorly built, it just didn't feel finished.

1 hour ago, Qman said:

At least the US is bringing something to the table besides chrome and noise.  I certainly hope they continue to prosper and develop.

I agree. It has alot of potential. I hope they can stick around long enough to develop and maybe get a model in a somewhat normal price bracket.

• Beer 1

Motus has now came to Michigan! Spartan Cycles in Clinton twp, Michigan now offers Motus bikes!

They just signed a contract last week. No demos yet, but they are trying for a late Sept. Mid-October 2017 "Open/ Demo house event".

This red one MST, is the private bike from the owner of Spartan Cycles! So you can demo it, only if your friends or family with him. lol I asked him if I could take it out, he smiled and said "No, sorry!" :)

Fucker sounds awesome, the owner started it up, let it run for a bit, then rev'd it several times. The motor twists like a fucking muscle car would... it was a feeling to behold! If I won that powerball . . . but till then, I will just demo ride it next year when they will have one for demo. Unless of course, youre great friends with the Owner, then he'll let ya take this one out for a ride! 1f642.png

21032730_10203847779673053_8513596606167440407_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I also emailed the sales person who setup the demo ride and asked if maybe we could get a group of OR folks who would like to demo the Motus to go down to their dealership. They are just south of Cincinnati. I will see what his response is, but if anyone is interested, please chime in.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:27 PM, JustinNck1 said:

I'd like to ride a Super Duke GT to compare. The Motus feels alot like a twin IMO.

The SDGT is top of my list, but they've still got some electro-gremlins to work out yet.  I demo'd the SD-R at MidO's Vintage Days last year and loved the engine, seating position, and overall feel of it.....just needed those touring extras to complete the package