Clutch question

durk

3 hours ago, hiro said:

I'm imagining it like this: When the bike is cold there is some vacuum in the tank. The sound of the fuel pump is showing that. The bikes warms up and the fuel expands and relieves some of the vacuum. But then, after pulling fuel for a while, it starts to create the vacuum again. That might cause reduced fueling...but, that might not be consistent with the power suddenly kicking back in. A mystery. heh Probably something simple. Maybe it is the pump.

If this were the case it would just starve the bike out and it would stall and not start until it either sat long enough for the tank vacuum to leak down or the filler cap was opened. The more he describes it the more it sounds like an issue with the pump or plumbing. 

11 year old fuel lines could be the issue. Sometimes the insides will deteriorate and you'll get a flapper on the inside that will intermittently impede flow. Or they get soft and don't bend as nicely and pinch. Maybe plumb in a pressure gauge and monitor it while you ride and try to force the failure, if it coincides with a fuel pressure drop, there's your huckleberry.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

If this were the case it would just starve the bike out and it would stall and not start until it either sat long enough for the tank vacuum to leak down or the filler cap was opened. The more he describes it the more it sounds like an issue with the pump or plumbing. 

11 year old fuel lines could be the issue. Sometimes the insides will deteriorate and you'll get a flapper on the inside that will intermittently impede flow. Or they get soft and don't bend as nicely and pinch. Maybe plumb in a pressure gauge and monitor it while you ride and try to force the failure, if it coincides with a fuel pressure drop, there's your huckleberry.

What is the cost of a pressure gauge vs a new fuel pump? The gauge is probably much easier to hook up!

The old hose theory has promise. But now that I've said that, someone will say age doesn't matter. heh

Thinking of cars again, is it possible that the engine is sucking air, or have an issue with an evap system? (If it's more than just a cap and hose.)

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Have you check for diagnostic trouble codes?

No I haven't. I thought it would flash a code at me if it had 1 stored. I'll look at the manual. 

Installed the new-used fuel pump I got off EBay on Saturday. Took the bike out 2 up today for 1.5 hrs. Pulled in the driveway and dropped off my daughter then went down the road to test the bike out. Bike seemed to run great, no hesitation. This is good news. The last time I tested after my commute from work (30 min ride) I could notice a hesitation. I'm not 100% it's fixed, but seems it could be.

The mechanic at the bike shop I stopped at mentioned it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator When I explained my symptoms to a buddy of mine who is a much better mechanic than I he also mentioned the fpr. On the 06 1000rr the fpr is built into the pump. So, maybe that was my problem. 

Thanks so much to all of you that mentioned things to check out, and help with diagnosis. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a couple of you ask about my fuel pump swap on Saturday. Thought I'd give an update. Bike is running like a champ now. I did not realize how much it was running like a dog prior to the swap. It feels as though I gained 50hp back. 

• Like 1
  • Beer 3