Anybody riding Sunday 8/27

Howabusa

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Ground issue all resolved, then? Sounds good. 

No, I need to get it soldered with a jumper run to the battery. For now I just carry dielectric grease and the tools to pull the fairing off. 

The dielectric grease isn't doing you any good here.  You'd be better off carrying a can of electrical contact cleaner, fine sand paper, a nail file...whatever.  Let's see if I can explain the nature of your problem one last time.  Some of the ground terminals on your bike were designed to carry so much load that they are right on the border line of overload.  Any degradation of the connection through them creates heat, which ultimately melts the terminal block and wire shielding, ruining their ability to do their designed job.  By nature, dielectric grease does not conduct electricity...making your already marginal connection...worse.  Pulling them apart to reapply this grease renews the connection enough to function...for a bit.  The grease helps prevent corrosion, but it hurts the electrical connection.  Fix it right.  My offer is still open, btw.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, PhilD'oh! said:

The dielectric grease isn't doing you any good here.  You'd be better off carrying a can of electrical contact cleaner, fine sand paper, a nail file...whatever.  Let's see if I can explain the nature of your problem one last time.  Some of the ground terminals on your bike were designed to carry so much load that they are right on the border line of overload.  Any degradation of the connection through them creates heat, which ultimately melts the terminal block and wire shielding, ruining their ability to do their designed job.  By nature, dielectric grease does not conduct electricity...making your already marginal connection...worse.  Pulling them apart to reapply this grease renews the connection enough to function...for a bit.  The grease helps prevent corrosion, but it hurts the electrical connection.  Fix it right.  My offer is still open, btw.  

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

So, when I pull the spider ground bar out and put it back together, this is why it starts working again. All the grease does is seal the connection. Okay, I said I suck at electrical. Lol. 

Exactly!  It basically scrapes a clean connection, that lasts only a little while. 

Is this the infamous "spider bite" issue from all the FJR forums? If it is, there used to be a member that sold a harness that remedied this problem. @Howabusa on the 16th, there is going to be a Tech Day around Marysville with some pretty FJR smart folks if you're interested on going up.