Let's Play: "Name That Tire Wear Issue!"

Limitedslip7

So I've had this tire wear issue since last season and haven't been able to figure it out. I've been running Pirelli Supercorsa SC1 front and SC2 rear on my R6 since last season and had this wear issue with them from the start. At the same time I also had my front forks rebuilt due to a seal leak and had some Racetech springs put in while they were apart (went off of their calculator) but didn't respring the rear (probably should). I had Hordpower in Bucyrus do a quick suspension check/setup and dyno since they were doing some tuning on my Speed Triple too. 

Anyways, I've run the rear tire at hot pressures from 30 psi down to 25.5 psi with no change in the wear pattern. I usually run 31-32 psi in the front tire and have always run warmers on them all day. The rear appears to be cold tearing pretty severely in the middle with a slight wavy pattern at times. The front usually looks pretty good although the last track day I started to get a bit of hot tear on it. The rear tire only has two track days at MidOhio on it and it's down to the wear bars. The pace was pretty mild, I usually average 1:44-1:45 with open track. 

Any ideas? I'd like to get this figured out before the Labor day track day at mid ohio. It seems like a geometry issue to me since changing tire pressures seem to have little effect... After reading all of the tire wear guides it seems like maybe the front is underweighted, maybe respring the rear shock and raise it up a bit? I'm going to try and measure the geometry and sag myself and see if I can't find a culprit somewhere... 

Rear Tire 1.jpg

Front Tire.jpg

Rear Tire 2.jpg

Rear Tire 3.jpg

1 hour ago, NinjaDoc said:

Cold tear? Too much pressure for the given temp settings ? 

That's what I thought, but I kept dropping the pressure incrementally down to 25.5, maybe 25 psi even I think at the end of the day, and it stayed the same or got worse instead of cleaning up. 

1 hour ago, Trackbikez said:

Given the size of that patch, I'm going with hot tear.

UNDER-inflation, you need MORE air.

https://lifeatlean.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/

Hmmm... I suppose it could be, but physically it matches the description of cold tear if you see it in person. 

What pressure does Pirelli recommend you run the SC1s and SC2s at?  Depending on whether you deviate high or low, their recommendation would be a good baseline to gauge if you're running too much or too little pressure.

I'm on Q3s and was told to run them @ 30/30, or 31/31 hot - I start at 30/30 cold, let air out after session 1, hit it hard for session 2, and maybe have to readjust 1 or 2 more psi down until I'm good the rest of the day.  But Q3s are "street" tires and I don't run warmers.  I typically don't get tears at MidOh when I do it like that.

I'm running the superbikes and i have the same issue. I ran at nelsons on sunday and they wore great. Today at Mid-O and they look just like yours. I feel like i run harder at Mid-O compared to nelsons. I dropped my pressure to 25 thinking it was a cold tear. I really have no answer either. I'm going to increase pressure next time to see what happens.....

I will tell you that the wave pattern is rebound. Probably to slow but would have to push on it to see what direction to go.

I don't believe it's hot or cold tear but it could be. It may be the tire getting over worked as the suspension is to stiff and it's ripping itself apart. Might want to check your compression as to where it is at but the rebound may fix the problem.

• Upvote 1