255 Closed?

Shoop

Does anybody know if 255 is closed or has a bridge out this week? 

Google maps won't let me run a route from Woodsfield to Sardis or vice versa. Usually that means that something is closed.

I'm asking because the MSTA group is meeting this weekend and several of their planned routes use 255.

Thanks,

Chris

6 minutes ago, Shoop said:

Does anybody know if 255 is closed or has a bridge out this week? 

Google maps won't let me run a route from Woodsfield to Sardis or vice versa. Usually that means that something is closed.

I'm asking because the MSTA group is meeting this weekend and several of their planned routes use 255.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, north of Sardis its closed in a dozen places until September 30th. If you have an Android phone and use that Google Maps it will show you, as below.

Screenshot_20170822-220130.png

Thanks. Hopefully we can keep some out of the area visitors from getting lost and frustrated.

The PC version doesn't show that. Why just the Android version? (damnit).

10 hours ago, Shoop said:

Thanks. Hopefully we can keep some out of the area visitors from getting lost and frustrated.

The PC version doesn't show that. Why just the Android version? (damnit).

Turn on traffic and it does. (upper RH corner is menu) 

10 hours ago, Tonik said:

Yes, north of Sardis its closed in a dozen places until September 30th. If you have an Android phone and use that Google Maps it will show you, as below.

Screenshot_20170822-220130.png

It showed that the day we rode it a few weeks ago. Remember when we waited for that wide load to turn in I told you google showed the road as closed. Or was that a different road?

Edited by 2talltim

37 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

It showed that the day we rode it a few weeks ago. Remember when we waited for that wide load to turn in I told you google showed the road as closed. Or was that a different road?

You are right, it was 255. So it may not be closed...those all might be the pipeline crossings.  Good news for the OP is that if he goes for it and it is closed 800 works just as well.

Hmmmm. Google maps on my iPhone also shows the road as closed till Sept 30. 

This link from odot says there is one spot closed near the west/north end  

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D10/newsreleases/Pages/Section-of-SR-255-Closed-for-Slip-Repair-Project.aspx

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I'm a bit worried about 255 for this riding season. The first time anyone has a chance to check out the blacktop carnage post-winter, please post up. It was totally ridable at the end of last season, but had many cracked areas and patched areas.  From what I've seen so far this year around Columbus-Zanesville-Coshocton, if the pavement was fairly new or in decent shape last year, it will still be this year. If it was cracked up and older last year with some rough sections, it may have a lot more in the way of surprise potholes and rough sections...

I need to look up what county it is in and see if I can look up the ODOT garage website for that county and check on 2018 projects. Luckily so many of the good roads east and southeast of Columbus been re-paved in the last 4 or so years...  255 is a crucial link to a lot of my best routes. I'm crossing my fingers that if any more deterioration has happened, it'll be addressed by mid May.

Edited by Chuck78
tried to subscribe, no-go

• 1 month later...

255 is closed again just south of Laings,  bridge is completely out and being rebuilt during May.

North of that from 78, the pavement condition look just the same as it did last year. I wanted to hit it from the Ohio River up to the bridge construction, but I was running out of daylight and got caught out in the rain and dark trying to take a fun route back to Columbus anyhow!

Out of Laings, I took a very bumpy chip seal Six Points Road across to 536, a bit north of the stop sign at Sykes Ridge Road. I hadn't taken this southbound for a very long time, and was reminded quickly why I never ever do that and why I absolutely would never send anyone else down that road unless I was there too slow down and make sure they don't miss a couple of blind decreasing radius turns! Northbound is definitely much safer on the North End of 536.

There are lane closures all over Southeast Ohio, four of them on 536, which completely ruin the flow of the road. Every single one, probably seven or eight of these, including the 4 on 536, were all issues where 1 lane on the downhill side of the road had sunken or slipped off substantially, some of these were a foot or more deep where they 1.5 year old pavement head sunken down as the hillside slipped away under it.

The evil, wicked, mean, and nasty section of 555 just south of 78 for several miles is even worse than it was last year, substantially. More lane slippage, and so many potholes it was ridiculous. It looks like someone had gone through and randomly dumped buckets of acid in the road where the pavement was just eaten away. 

I can't recall exactly where the one-way alternating traffic light lane closure setups were, but there were three others aside from 536. I'm thinking 26, maybe another on 255, and one on 260 or 537? I was scratching my head here, not sure if that is all correct, very long day of riding...

ODOT District 10 website news info:

Slips Prompt Lane Closures in Monroe County

March 7th, 2018 - There are several one lane closures in place in Monroe County due to slips. The slips are due to recent heavy rains in southeastern Ohio.
- SR 26 between SR 800 and Woodsfield (one lane closure with traffic signals and 12 foot width restriction
- SR 536 between TR 672 and TR 373 (one lane closure with traffic signals and 12 foot width restriction)
- SR 536 between TR 437 and TR 2577 (one lane closure with traffic signals and 12 foot width restriction)
- SR 537 between Pleasant Ridge (CR 73) and SR 26 (one lane closure with yield signs and 12 foot width restriction)
- SR 255 between TR 2623 and Long Ridge (CR 43) (one lane closure with traffic signals and 12 foot width restriction)
All of the lane closures are expected to end by June 1, 2018.

SR 536 Landslide

April 12th 2018 - One lane of State Route 536 in Monroe County is closed due to a landslide.
It is located between SR 7 and Township Road 425. One lane is closed in this area and traffic is being maintained with temporary signals. A 12 foot width restriction is also in place.
The estimated opening date is June 12, 2018.

SR 536 Slip Repair

March 7th, 2018 - A slip repair project is taking place on State Route 536 in Monroe County.
It is located .05 miles west of Township Road 672.
(I believe this is separate from the one listed above, as TR373 is a few miles west of TR672 with another Township road in between the two, & I recall four 536 closures)
One lane is closed in this area. Temporary traffic signals are in place, as well as a 12 foot width restriction.
The estimated completion date is June 29, 2018.

SR 255 Culvert Replacement

A culvert replacement project begins on May 1, 2018 on State Route 255 in Monroe County.
The project is taking place between Township Road 452 and Griffith Road (County Road 10A). The road will be closed in this area through May 17, 2018.
ODOT's detour is SR 800 to SR 78 to SR 145.

SR 56 Bridge Replacement

A bridge replacement project begins on State Route 56 in Hocking County on February 26, 2018.
The project is taking place between Narrows Road and Conrad Road. One lane will be closed in this area and temporary traffic signals will be in place, as well as barrier wall. There will also be a 10 foot lane restriction.
The estimated completion date is September 1, 2018.

Edited by Chuck78