I got to do my first daily ride on my first street bike today!

youngrider

10 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Date codes are only one factor of many when considering a tire's quality/life expectancy. Many other factors such as temperature where stored, how long have they been stored, have they been sitting in sunlight, have they been in a humid shed, have they been off the wheel, on the wheel, sitting with water in them, etc. This is why you check a tires physical condition (hardness, signs of cracking, loss of shape, odd coloring, etc) I just had a bike on the lift this weekend that had tires with a 2009 date code. Guess what, they looked perfectly fine and they guy was railing corners on a Goldwing with them. I understand you're trying to help, but this topic has been beat to death lately. People need to worry less about date codes and more about tire pressure. That is the #1 cause for premature tire wear or poor handling.

I'll go with that. heh It's consistent with the fact that my car tires are not that great. They sit outside 100% of the time and I barely drive it. The bike tires are inside a lot, and they will be off the ground over the winter. I just wonder if my car tire had the cracks before I had to drive on the tire at very low pressure. (It has at least one puncture in it.)

Still, checking the date codes would show whether they're stock or not. Like I said, just curious. Not that it will automatically be catastrophic.  It's just data.