I got to do my first daily ride on my first street bike today!

youngrider

Like the title says, I'm getting to post here for the first time. I rode on the street for the first time on my new (to me) bike - a 2009 Suzuki Boulevard s40!

Absolutely love the bike. 7,800 miles, picked it up for $1,350, and it runs & looks like a charm. I couldn't be happier with my first purchase.

Not that anyone cares, but here's a picture of me on it. Happy riding!

Attach57609_20170817_182510.jpg

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Congrats on the new bike! :riding:

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Fits you well. Enjoy it and ride smart. 

Thanks! I'm training myself to be extra aware.

13 hours ago, Tonik said:

Yea, this was a genius buy. He can get out of it next year easy if he decides to get something bigger.

That's what I'm thinking. KBB retails it at almost $2,700 and trade in value at $1,800. I'd say I got a good deal. Here's to buying towards the end of the season

13 hours ago, snot said:

Congrats

12 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Nice looking ride. That big single thumper I always thought was a cool platform.

Thank you! I think it looks pretty sweet, and it sounds good.

12 hours ago, Xsr900Rider said:

Nice bike and congrats. 

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I do have one question.... are you Elon Musk?

I guess anything's possible, isn't it?

1 hour ago, EOdesmo said:

Congrats! 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, CBBaron said:

Nice bike and sounds like a great purchase. 

Thanks! I'm loving it so far.

1 hour ago, Qman said:

Congrats!

They still make a bike with drum brakes !....Who knew?!

That's what my dad said too! I don't think much has changed on the bike since 1986 haha

41 minutes ago, bowdog said:

awesome...congrats!

Thanks!

On 8/18/2017 at 2:32 PM, hiro said:

WTF? haha  I'm just concerned that a 2009 might have decent looking, really old tires. I do like that engine though.

Not sure, I'll check when I get home. The tires look brand new though and have no rot. I can tell the previous owner took extremely good care of her

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2017 at 7:55 PM, youngrider said:

Like the title says, I'm getting to post here for the first time. I rode on the street for the first time on my new (to me) bike - a 2009 Suzuki Boulevard s40!

Absolutely love the bike. 7,800 miles, picked it up for $1,350, and it runs & looks like a charm. I couldn't be happier with my first purchase.

Not that anyone cares, but here's a picture of me on it. Happy riding!

Attach57609_20170817_182510.jpg

Just be warned...

You will spend the rest of your life running down the feeling you get that first year of riding! Enjoy it, be safe, and have fun.

• Upvote 2

On 8/18/2017 at 2:32 PM, hiro said:

WTF? haha  I'm just concerned that a 2009 might have decent looking, really old tires. I do like that engine though.

Do not transfer your OCD... those tires will not make any difference at that pace or style of riding.

Tim said it best... leave it alone and let him enjoy riding without worrying about all the stupid shit that ruins riding.

1 hour ago, whaler said:

Do not transfer your OCD... those tires will not make any difference at that pace or style of riding.

Tim said it best... leave it alone and let him enjoy riding without worrying about all the stupid shit that ruins riding.

I'm not OCD, but I can be detail oriented. And I'm still on my older tires that are going on 6 years old. I think people here need to stop jumping on my back when I'm being reasonable, which I am.

Isn't it standard procedure to check the tires when shopping for a used bike? Eight years is pushing it for tires no matter who you ask. If you want to go by looks and be blissfully unaware, enjoy. If you check the date codes and the tires feel good, then that's just a point of reference. Nothing to lose.

The tires on my car look OK from the sides and the tread is good, but I've noticed some loss of grip. Then, after pulling a wheel, I found some cracking in the tread. They will be 6 years old in December. A little push through a curve shouldn't hurt on 4 wheels, but it might on 2.

Anyway, fuck it.

1 hour ago, hiro said:

I'm not OCD, but I can be detail oriented. And I'm still on my older tires that are going on 6 years old. I think people here need to stop jumping on my back when I'm being reasonable, which I am.

Isn't it standard procedure to check the tires when shopping for a used bike? Eight years is pushing it for tires no matter who you ask. If you want to go by looks and be blissfully unaware, enjoy. If you check the date codes and the tires feel good, then that's just a point of reference. Nothing to lose.

The tires on my car look OK from the sides and the tread is good, but I've noticed some loss of grip. Then, after pulling a wheel, I found some cracking in the tread. They will be 6 years old in December. A little push through a curve shouldn't hurt on 4 wheels, but it might on 2.

Anyway, fuck it.

Date codes are only one factor of many when considering a tire's quality/life expectancy. Many other factors such as temperature where stored, how long have they been stored, have they been sitting in sunlight, have they been in a humid shed, have they been off the wheel, on the wheel, sitting with water in them, etc. This is why you check a tires physical condition (hardness, signs of cracking, loss of shape, odd coloring, etc) I just had a bike on the lift this weekend that had tires with a 2009 date code. Guess what, they looked perfectly fine and they guy was railing corners on a Goldwing with them. I understand you're trying to help, but this topic has been beat to death lately. People need to worry less about date codes and more about tire pressure. That is the #1 cause for premature tire wear or poor handling.

• Upvote 4