AD Farrow Harley Davidson in Sunbury

AmberGhost

Opinions are like a certain body part. Everybody has one.

Here is mine.

I recently bought a 2017 Tri Glide from Northstar HD in Sunbury. At 42,500 with taxes and fees its not a trivial investment, for me anyway.

When I asked about the fact that the non adjustable clutch lever does not engage until it is almost fully extended a salesman suggested I get an adjustable clutch lever, which I did from Oberon. Without an adjustable lever if you have smaller hands get used to working that lever with 2 or 3 fingers, especially on right hand turns.

Doesn't take long to realize that the Milwaukee 8 engine on that trike runs very hot. My previous bike was the 2053 CC Vulcan and it didn't generate nearly as much heat as this blast furnace. I'm a Viet Vet and plan on doing Rolling Thunder next year. I needed a solution.

Harley used to make a 'parade fan' but they did not work well at all and they stopped making them about 3 years ago after too many complaints.

HD Forums told me about the Love Jugs, an apparently super efficient cooling system for Harley V Twins. After checking things out I ordered a Coolmaster unit at $400.

I like checking forums for opinions on products and the forums I checked gave rave review to both the Oberon clutch level and the Love Jugs. Good to go!

Now this particular dealer is telling me that they will not install ANY after market part that is not HD. I took the case to a manager who took it higher and I was turned down.

I understand as a private business they have that right, but the vendor (Steve at Love Jugs  http://love-jugs.com/) tells me he's NEVER heard of a Harley dealer refusing to install his product.

There is another dealer up here that has the same mindset, Iron Pony. They are your best friend until you roll out the door. Then its Fuck You!.

So Northstar Harley can refuse me service (I even asked just for a one time exception) and I have the right to slam these assholes in every bike forum I can find.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

The worst part of this story is that someone would actually pay 42k for a Harley trike

:dunno:

The new Milwaukee 8 doesnt even put out 100 HP yet!  ....Nor does the Screamin Eagle version!  Pathetic.

10 minutes ago, Qman said:

The new Milwaukee 8 doesnt even put out 100 HP yet!  ....Nor does the Screamin Eagle version!  Pathetic.

Honestly though, who buys a cruiser for performance? I've ridden a 100+ HP bagger, it's too much for the stock suspension and brakes. Most cruiser riders are completely content running at or below the speed limit. As long as it looks cool, they're happy.

2 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Honestly though, who buys a cruiser for performance? I've ridden a 100+ HP bagger, it's too much for the stock suspension and brakes. Most cruiser riders are completely content running at or below the speed limit. As long as it looks cool, they're happy.

Last time I rode a big twin (Fatboy), I could honestly say I've never been so scared going so slow.  I had no interest in riding it fast.  The performance of the brakes was so poor, the steering was so slow and the maneuverability was so limited I wasn't sure I could have avoided a dog or a car if one suddenly jumped out in front of me. 

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I get what you're saying...but the adverts purport all sorts of performance.  On the other hand, MOST cruiser riders add some sort of performance modifications, so I'm not so sure about how content they really are!

43 minutes ago, Qman said:

I get what you're saying...but the adverts purport all sorts of performance.  On the other hand, MOST cruiser riders add some sort of performance modifications, so I'm not so sure about how content they really are!

What performance mod is the #1 seller? Exhaust. They wanna look and sound cool. You would be surprised how many don't have a proper tune or power commander to accommodate their completely open, cat deleted exhaust.

I have a top 5 reasons why I "HATE" Harleys and here is one of them based on the price of their units. Don't know if most have you noticed but as you travel this great country of our you will pass many HD, Euro and Metric dealers alike. Have you ever noticed on average how much fancy and extravagant the HD dealers are over the other? Now there are exceptions to this rule I'm just going on the average. For example if I google search the nearest dealers to me right now this is what I find.

The top one charges $42k for a bike/trike. The bottom one if they have one in stock charges $5k to $7k less for a simular bike that is better equipped, more reliable, better warranty and will be a all around better bike.

hd.PNG.426900cac139f6af030d98d4062f5b17.PNG

mo.thumb.PNG.9c9e94793140f6b8819bb4bde24efe4a.PNG

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

What performance mod is the #1 seller? Exhaust. They wanna look and sound cool. You would be surprised how many don't have a proper tune or power commander to accommodate their completely open, cat deleted exhaust.

OH, I didnt say or think that these performance mods are actually going to help, other than to make the buyer feel better about his farm tractor.  It IS all about what others think.  People buy HDs for the same reason women buy make-up.  The purchase does absolutely NOTHING to make you feel good, it is solely for the benefit of others.

Edited by Qman

6 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

He says it's a "Man's Truck" :lol:

7 hours ago, 2talltim said:

You should,  not a real truck.. :lol:

It can move our four dirt bikes around in luxury, so it is man enough for me.  I don't need a real truck.  

I usually don't like spending that much for depreciating assets.  

Now let's discuss a man's beer. 

20170730_162857.jpg

Edited by Connie14

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Those are supposed to be really nice! I just didn't feel like dropping that kind of cash for one.

They are nice.  It is pretty much a Honda Pilot with a bed in lieu of the 3rd row.  It doesn't ride like a truck, and the Es are nicely equipped.