How to become a progressive Democrat

Tpoppa

I finally understand

1. When someone disagrees with you about anything ever, immediately call them a racist.  This is especially encouraged when race is not the issue.
  2. Don't forget that you are far too tolerant to be bothered with trying to understand an opposing point of view.  Developing an informed opinion is not required.  They're probably just a racist anyway.
  3. Congratulate yourself for outing the racist on social media (for example, see the entire state of California).  If your bravery is not immediately recognized refer to yourself as a social justice warrior.  This will produce the desired effect. 
  4. Blame Republicans while patting yourself on the back for occupying moral high ground.
  5. Remember, you know what is best for everyone.
  • Beer 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

My concern is they are on a roll. Washington and Jefferson monuments are next. They won't stop.

Today the Nazi's lost their website. The private company that hosts them decided they were assholes and shut them down. Certainly they are assholes but who decides that and where does it stop? We are in a tuff spot right now. Censorship may be needed, just like we have some restrictions on guns. All rights come with limits.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

That party did the same thing the Republican party did. They let in the crazies and gave them important jobs. I used to associate "Liberal" with a moderately positioned, America-loving, blue collar bloke with a 12 gauge in his closet. I'm afraid their party is doomed by this new breed of whiny, trophies for everyone, race-baiting fuckwits. 

Only Siths deal in absolutes. 

When you've convinced yourself that you are correct, it becomes increasingly easy to not value opposing opinions or the people they belong to.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Danimal said:

you're doing the same thing.

right now

Not at all Dan.  I'm very open to opposing ideas.   I value an educated debate.  I just don't value alarmism, fear mongering, or clinging to either party like they give a fuck about any of us.  They both manipulate and misdirect to protect their power and vast fortunes.

Like I've said 100 times, I have far too much self respect to call myself either a Democrat or a Republican.

• Upvote 3

Conservative protesters scuttled plans to gather outside Google’s offices this weekend, putting on hold an effort to take America’s culture wars directly to Silicon Valley.

The region was long insulated from political rancor, but now has become one of the most important ideological battlegrounds. That became ever more clear Wednesday, when protest organizers said that the news coverage surrounding their plans had led to threats from left-wing “terrorist groups.”

10 hours ago, Tonik said:

My concern is they are on a roll. Washington and Jefferson monuments are next. They won't stop.

Today the Nazi's lost their website. The private company that hosts them decided they were assholes and shut them down. Certainly they are assholes but who decides that and where does it stop? We are in a tuff spot right now. Censorship may be needed, just like we have some restrictions on guns. All rights come with limits.

I'm gonna guess that being a slave to Washington or Jefferson was a better life than 95% of the people in the country at the time.  It's also funny how people automatically think black when they thing slavery.  There were also plenty of Irish, Asian, native american, etc slaves in the country.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Qman said:

I'm gonna guess that being a slave to Washington or Jefferson was a better life than 95% of the people in the country at the time. 

Jefferson raped the hell out of his slaves, so I am going to have to say no to that theory.

21 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Jefferson raped the hell out of his slaves, so I am going to have to say no to that theory.

Probably only raped the better looking ones.  The ugly ones lived better than 98%!

• Upvote 1

Your history lesson for the day.

Robert E Lee was married to George Washington's step granddaughter. He worked with Grant during the Mexican-American war and became a decorated war hero defending this country He believed slavery was a great evil and his wife broke the law by teaching slaves to read and write. After the civil war he worked with Andrew Johnson's program of reconstruction. He became very popular with the northern states and the Barracks at West Point were named in his honor in 1962. He was a great man who served this country his entire life in some form or other. His memorial is now being called a blight. No American military veteran should be treated as such. People keep yelling, "You can't change history." Sadly you can. This is no better than book burnings. ISIS tried rewriting history by destroying historical artifacts. Is that really who we want to emulate? 
As they tear down this "blight" keep these few historical facts in your mind. No military veteran and highly decorated war hero should ever be treated as such. This is not Iraq and that is not a statue of Sadam.

IN ADDITION:: Lee was also very torn about the prospect of the South leaving the Union. His wifes grandfather George Washington was a huge influence on him. He believed that ultimately, states rights trumped the federal government and chose to lead the Southern army. His estate, Arlington, near Washington DC was his home and while away fighting the war, the federal government demanded that Lee himself pay his taxes in person. He sent his wife but the money was not accepted from a woman. When he could not pay the taxes, the government began burying dead Union soldiers on his land. The government is still burying people there today. It is now called Arlington National Cemetery.  DO THEY WANT TO TEAR THAT UP ALSO ??

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 4

Nice copy and paste from Facebook. Everything in that post is total bullshit. Lee owned a shitload of slaves, and tortured them relentlessly. He twisted the law to keep them slaves until a Virginia court ordered him to follow the law. And he would split the family members up....sell off relatives of current slaves...trade for non relatives...and not tell anyone where they were sent.

He was a real pile of shit, much like your post.

Yes it's a copy and paste but how is it a "real pile of shit" Only the part about him opposing slavery is a opinion. Through his history there were facts to prove and disprove this but it remains a opinion on both sides.

Regardless of who and what Lee was, it means NOTHING on what is going on in the country today. I just don't understand what they are trying to prove. Slavery was a travesty don't think anyone will refute that, so it was abolished. Nothing we can do about it now. There aren't any victims of society any more, only victims of system that rewards people that refuse to better themselves.

12 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

There aren't any victims of society any more, only victims of system that rewards people that refuse to better themselves.

Ok, that's a pile of poo too.

There is nobody in the ghetto to teach these kids just WTF that means. They are kids, and they have no idea, no parents and no leadership. They are not refusing to do anything because they have no idea what is expected of them. While that is not our fault we have a choice here.  We can help them, or we can toss out platitudes like the above and then later out toss out cash to keep them in jail.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Ok, that's a pile of poo too.

There is nobody in the ghetto to teach these kids just WTF that means. They are kids, and they have no idea, no parents and no leadership. They are not refusing to do anything because they have no idea what is expected of them. While that is not our fault we have a choice here.  We can help them, or we can toss out platitudes like the above and then later on toss out cash to keep them in jail.

The "NO PARENTS" statement is directly proportional to and a result of a...."system that rewards people that refuse to better themselves".  

Edited by Qman

8 minutes ago, Qman said:

The "NO PARENTS" statement is directly proportional to and a result of...."system that rewards people that refuse to better themselves".  

You mean like the girl here at the school I work at.  Whose dad is in the slammer for 30 years for selling heroin...and whose mom just died from heroin so now she is being raised by her alcoholic grandmother. Explain what system of rewards caused that to happen to this child?

And better yet, explain why we should abandon her and sentence her to a life of shit because of her parents.

Sorry, I work in a ghetoish school and I don't think people really get what is happening down here. We are talking generation after generation of this shit.  Neither your platitude nor Tim's will fix this issue. We step up and help these kids or we continue the cycle.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

You/we certainly arent helping that innocent kid by rioting, looting, tearing down edifices, erasing history, creating conflict, tax dollars paying for Narcan, being intolerant, letting illegal immigrants spoil her chances of succeeding, electing people that promote divisiveness (see previous POTUS).  The best way to help that kid is to prepare the economy to provide a decent job for her.

5 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I wouldn't call her a victim of society. I'd call her a domestic victim. Society as a whole didn't put her in that fucked up situation.

Yes it did.

Her great great grandparents were slaves. Her great grandparents were raised in the ghetto by those uneducated slaves that had no idea what it takes to succeed and in a country run by asshats tossing out platitudes. And that has continued generation after generation until here we are, right were we started.

5 minutes ago, Qman said:

You/we certainly arent helping that innocent kid by rioting, looting, tearing down edifices, erasing history, creating conflict, tax dollars paying for Narcan, being intolerant, letting illegal immigrants spoil her chances of succeeding, electing people that promote divisiveness (see previous POTUS).  The best way to help that kid is to prepare the economy to provide a decent job for her.

If I and all my ancestors were treated the way they have been I god damn guarantee you I would be rioting. Yea, the previous POTUS created divisiveness, no doubt. And so did the one before him and the one before him.  And so is the current one.

Let me guess, you think we need another Ronald Reagan.  The guy that deficit spent like no one before him. That gave all the illegals amnesty and fixed poverty with trickle down economics? Yea, that all worked out great.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

Let me guess, you think we need another Ronald Reagan.  The guy that deficit spent like no one before him. That gave all the illegals amnesty and fixed poverty with trickle down economics? Yea, that all worked out great.

Yep.  His hands were tied with the illegal amnesty thing.  That deficit spending helped to "tear down that wall", and the trickle down economics paved the way for balanced budget later under Slick willy.  You're welcome!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Yes it did.

Her great great grandparents were slaves. Her great grandparents were raised in the ghetto by those uneducated slaves that had no idea what it takes to succeed and in a country run by asshats tossing out platitudes. And that has continued generation after generation until here we are, right were we started.

There's a lot more to it than that.  Ride through some rural parts of the country, like in WV...it's pretty easy to find generation after generation of poverty that has nothing to do with race or trying to reach back to slavery.  Some people continue the cycle, some don't. 

No one who is alive today has been affected by slavery.  Certainly, some people a born with more opportunity than others but that's the reality of life for everyone.   BTW, I'm one of the people that grew up with less opportunity.