Has anyone lived in TN?

Hoblick

I'm pretty entrenched in my current locale which I've been in for all but years of my life but Tennessee is the one place that would likely get me to leave if there was an excellent job opportunity. The hardest thing for me would be leaving friends and family. I feel like you'll make friends anywhere you go so would be worth it if it seems to good to pass up.

My cousin lived in Huntsville for about 10 years and loved it. Of course it's a couple hours south of where you are looking but not too far. The weather is great most of the year, Nashville, and the motor scene is quite healthy. Visited every year he lived there for Barber weekend and would go up to Nashville for good food and entertainment. Have always felt anywhere south of Nashville and North of Birmingham would be a great place to live.

take a road trip and explore... don't use GPS!

Never lived in TN but I lived in Greenville, SC for 11 years and the weather was much nicer than OH.

One big selling point for TN is no income tax!  Dividends and interest income are taxed at a flat 5% but that is scheduled to disappear in 2022 (just in time for me to retire there).

I've been here for 7 years and haven't even had the slightest notion to go back to Ohio. Everything is better. Everything.

The housing market is crazy right now so getting a home for less than asking value won't happen. The weather is generally warmer and more humid in the summer.

I started out in downtown Nashville and have slowly moved North and West to get away from all the hustle and bustle of city living. Smyrna is South and East. I24 from Smyrna to Nashville is by far the heaviest and worst traffic in the city. 

Anything specific, ask away. I can check things out if you need eyes on something. Overall with a company paid transfer it wouldn't even be something I would consider, I would be an instant yes.

If you don't mind a short commute, live about 20-30 miles east of Smyrna and the cost of living goes way down, you're in the country, and the plateau is only 40 minutes away. The dragon would be about 3 hours. A day trip basically.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, dustinsn3485 said:

I've been here for 7 years and haven't even had the slightest notion to go back to Ohio. Everything is better. Everything.

The housing market is crazy right now so getting a home for less than asking value won't happen. The weather is generally warmer and more humid in the summer.

I started out in downtown Nashville and have slowly moved North and West to get away from all the hustle and bustle of city living. Smyrna is South and East. I24 from Smyrna to Nashville is by far the heaviest and worst traffic in the city. 

Anything specific, ask away. I can check things out if you need eyes on something. Overall with a company paid transfer it wouldn't even be something I would consider, I would be an instant yes.

If you don't mind a short commute, live about 20-30 miles east of Smyrna and the cost of living goes way down, you're in the country, and the plateau is only 40 minutes away. The dragon would be about 3 hours. A day trip basically.

Move been looking at houses on zillow east and south of Smyrna, cost is roughly what I'm seeing here in outskirts of Marysville, so that's great.  We would want something outside of the city for sure, no housing developments, a few acres of land, and not to far from a lake

I had some opening in various parts of the country once I finished the fellowship and stuff. But one of the main reason I decided to come back to Ohio was because the only folks I knew in US as friends and some close as family was in ohio. And it looks like the same gang is slowly tricking away to Tennessee . First Hailwood now hoblick, i will sabotage any plans pauly makes to leave. :D 

On topic hoblick, I have a feeling you already made up your mind and this post was to sort of reinforce that decision. Good luck, riding in feb on those roads is worth any hassle of move. 

Only thing holding us to Ohio right now are the kids. I don't want to pull them away from friends and family till they are done with school. So in 4 years when they are out we will be looking to make a move south as well. We are thinking western Carolinas or northern Georgia. My house will be paid off in 6 years so I might wait till then but that will be the latest it will happen.

11 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Car insurance is a bit on the higher side from what I can tell compared to Ohio. Not as high as KY FL or MI though. 

Nah, I don't think so. I pay $600 a year for my bike and the same for my Jeep. The house is $1200 a year.

Property taxes are only $1800. No income tax. Sales tax is a 9.025, but I'm only 30 min from KY so if I want a big purchase I go there.

2 hours ago, dustinsn3485 said:

Nah, I don't think so. I pay $600 a year for my bike and the same for my Jeep. The house is $1200 a year.

Property taxes are only $1800. No income tax. Sales tax is a 9.025, but I'm only 30 min from KY so if I want a big purchase I go there.

600 a year for. Sport tourer? Ouch....

• Like 1