To buy or not to buy - KLX650

max power

Saw a dirtbike with a headlight at a yard sale this weekend so I busted a U-ie to check it out. Turned out to be a 95 Kawasaki KLX 650  

And it was dirty cheap. 500 bucks.

The drawback you ask? 

It was half disassembled and the head and valve cover were held on with a bungee cord. When I asked why, he said he rebuilt it and must not have gotten the timing right and thinks he may have bent the valves. 

Said he had all the parts to it and it is complete. I told him I would think about it and got his number.

Trying to do some of that Internet research and couldn't find much for it in the way of complete engines or engine parts or really any aftermarket since this is only a 2 year bike.  What's out there is expensive and scarce.

Would love to have a 650 thumper that I could easily ride to Wayne and hit the trails. Anyone ever own one of these bikes? 

Dude also had a really nice 2006 SV650 S with 6000 miles for $2800

If anyone is interested I have his phone number. Located in Lithopolis. 

Edited by max power

Thanks Dano. I have been reading that thread. Seems there's not a lot available for this thing and with motor issues I'm kind of scared that it will end up being a part out. Probably won't lose money on it either way but I just don't have time to UPS parts everywhere.