I did something stupid

Tpoppa

2006 Street Rod.  I was sort of looking for one of these in the spring.  I was no longer looking, then this one fell in my lap pretty cheap.

Best thing about it is the riding position, it's really close to a Street Triple.  More power & bigger fuel tank than a standard V Rod.  40 degree lean angle, brembo brakes, etc.  

It needs some minor work.  I'll most likely ride it for a few months then flip it in the spring.  

Very nice.  Was actually considering one for myself, but the models with the mid-controls are difficult to find and I'm not into the forward-control--or in that case, lack of control--style of riding.  Congrats!

41 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Was actually considering one for myself, but the models with the mid-controls are difficult to find and I'm not into the forward-control--or in that case, lack of control--style of riding.  Congrats!

Exactly.  And these are often modified with lowering kits and forward pegs which completely defeat the purpose of this model.  The riding position is surprisingly good.  It handles excellent by cruiser standards, which is still below anything with actual sporting intentions. 

Edited by Tpoppa

damn nice pickup!

This is one 2-3 Harley's I'd actually ever consider owning myself. Be very interested to see how much better it is with those mid controls than the VROD I've test ridden with forward ones. I just could not get used to forward controls albeit was a very short couple times I've tried them

The previous owner told me it had a warped front brake rotor.  It doesn't.  What he thought was a warped rotor is actually play in the steering stem, which can be felt under braking, and over bumps.  I thought torquing the steering stem nut would fix it.  Upon doing some research, I found that this is a common issue on several 2002-2008 HD models.  They actually have a kit to fix it.  It replaces an aluminum part in the steering stem (wears over time) with a steel part.

Apparently, it's a $150-200 fix at the dealer, but HD has done it for free as a goodwill repair in some cases.  I'm dropping it off at a chrome castle on Thursday.     

19 hours ago, Bad324 said:

damn nice pickup!

This is one 2-3 Harley's I'd actually ever consider owning myself. Be very interested to see how much better it is with those mid controls than the VROD I've test ridden with forward ones. I just could not get used to forward controls albeit was a very short couple times I've tried them

+1 !   Sadly this model was only produced for something like 2 years.  

Conversely, the current Street Rod looks uncomfortable as all hell, and probably has the performance to match.

22 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

IMG_20170810_194907266.jpg

What happened to the muffler?  That's gotta be louder than .....loud!

And probably too short of a distance to the valves to allow proper heat dissipation.??

Edited by Qman

12 minutes ago, Qman said:

What happened to the muffler?  That's gotta be louder than .....loud!

And probably too short of a distance to the valves to allow proper heat dissipation.??

It came with a total of three exhausts.  The one mounted is a V&H Competition exhaust.  It isn't crazy loud, but I'm probably going to put in the "quiet" baffle.  It also has a Power Commander and a custom tune.  I'd guess it makes about 120 RWHP.

Steering is obviously heavy compared to what I normally ride.  But it is planted and stable in corners.  It's more entertaining than that the hard-part-scraping V Star that I briefly owned last summer. 

11 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Steering is obviously heavy compared to what I normally ride.  But it is planted and stable in corners.  It's more entertaining than that the hard-part-scraping V Star that I briefly owned last summer. 

They brought in the rake angle compared to the vrod, but it still looks to have serious caster.  

Last time i was in a "chrome castle" (that was funny) I asked the sales monkey which model had the highest lean angle.  Wow did I get some head scratching looks!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I dealt with the mechanical issues.  Had a dealer replace the steering head bearings, and I cleaned/rebuilt the front brakes.  Now it runs and rides like new.  I also put a "quiet" baffle in the V&H exhaust as it was a little loud for my tastes.

It's definitely the most fun HD I've ever ridden.  It seems strange carry that much lean angle on a cruiser without scraping hard parts.

• Beer 1