WANTED: Looking for my first street bike

youngrider

Hey guys,

I'm new here to the forums. My bike fever started back in 2012 when I purchased my first dirt bike off of my dads best friend. I just turned 17, got my riding gear, and got my motorcycle permit. I'm now looking for my first street bike.

I haven't got the biggest budget, but if anyone knows of any good deals on decent first street bikes I'd appreciate a link or something!

I prefer the look of the naked street bikes (gs500e, sv650, cb300f, etc.). I also really don't want a 250. 300+ if possible.

Thanks guys!

This is the right time of year to purchase! Wait until the beginning of September and save the extra 500 and you will have no problem finding a great bike in good shape. Have patience and look every free moment. Kawasaki EX500, SV650, ZX600E, YZF600R, and many other great bikes. I can understand not wanting the 250-300 class. If you have rode in the past and have decent skills a 250 will become boring quickly. The only thing I could say... if you do go the 250-300 route, you can use the fall to learn and make your money back in the spring. Only down side is larger bikes will be up in price. Just use the winter to add an extra 1k to the budget and take your pick. 3k will buy a lot of bike.

2 hours ago, hiro said:

Went through this before. Get in the $2500+ range and it will be a lot easier.

1 hour ago, whaler said:

This is the right time of year to purchase! Wait until the beginning of September and save the extra 500 and you will have no problem finding a great bike in good shape. Have patience and look every free moment. Kawasaki EX500, SV650, ZX600E, YZF600R, and many other great bikes. I can understand not wanting the 250-300 class. If you have rode in the past and have decent skills a 250 will become boring quickly. The only thing I could say... if you do go the 250-300 route, you can use the fall to learn and make your money back in the spring. Only down side is larger bikes will be up in price. Just use the winter to add an extra 1k to the budget and take your pick. 3k will buy a lot of bike.

2 hours ago, Bad324 said:

I haven't been heavy in to the buy/sell market in awhile but that budget I think would net you 250's or late 90's/early 00 models I bet

Just found a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard s40 for sale around me. Guy's asking $1000 and it looks super clean so I'm going with my dad to see it tomorrow. Wish me luck! Hopefully no underlying issues.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hiro said:

The S40 looks like a decent, standard/neutral, maybe retro bike. It's a big, single cylinder engine. I'm curious about how they feel.

They're pretty low (27.5 inch ride height I think is what I read). A couple videos I watched said the seat was wide in the back and narrow in the front which made it comfortable. 

Other people I've seen/read about riding it seemed impressed and said it was comfortable. I'll report back tomorrow once I've test ridden it and (hopefully) ridden it home!

8 minutes ago, youngrider said:

They're pretty low (27.5 inch ride height I think is what I read). A couple videos I watched said the seat was wide in the back and narrow in the front which made it comfortable. 

Other people I've seen/read about riding it seemed impressed and said it was comfortable. I'll report back tomorrow once I've test ridden it and (hopefully) ridden it home!

Check the date codes on the tires and be careful on them until you know they stick.

Looks like the S40 has some good torque, like double what a 300 has. A little lower on HP than a 300. Probably more comfortable than a NInja 300, but not as nimble. What I didn't like about the 300 was the lack of torque, so...yeah.

If cruiser style is what you are looking for it is an excellent choice. Also check out the Honda Shadow 750's and the 650 Yamaha VStars.

All have decent power for a first bike and are light and low to the ground. And expect to sell whatever ypu get next year after you get comfortable and learn exactly what you want.

Did you take the MSF course?

• Upvote 1

I'm.going to.give you the best advice anyone ever could. Go TAKE A CLASS FIRST.  I had total of 4 open seats last week so there is no excuse for not getting in. Head over to Motorcycleohio.gov and check it out. You need the BRS, Basic Rider Course. It's the best 50$ you will ever spend. And it will save your life

• Upvote 2

Jesse, I might be very biased but I will advice you as flash said above regarding the class. But if you been riding dirt bikes seriously for many years you will make a good street rider just need more miles under your belt. The s40 might be boring than the 250-300 sports bike in terms of pure drive dynamics if that's what you after. Plus hard to find the right crowd of "real ride" The one thing I can guarantee if you stick around in OR is you will develop some close friends, develop good riding habits, become better rider by riding with good riders, riding ATGATT will become second nature and develop a nasty psycho sick asshat personality :D plus you get to give these kind of crappy advice to the next person that comes in. But seriously get a sports bike and stick with a group that rides with protective gear on and go for weekend twisties and better mileage.

Friends you ride with are almost everything in motorcycling, if you find the right crowd it's easy and better. Those wanna pirates bar hopping crowd and those wannabe renegade punks highway bombing and wheeling around in shorts and tennis shoes just fell with that kind of crowd when they started and think "this is it" and never know what they missing in the real world of motorcycling. 

Wait for the right bike and don't try to get a bike just because it's cheap. It will come to you within weeks, it's that season of "motorcycle giving" away. 

Plus you are in Salem close to me, need more sports bike type around here to go for a quick evening jaunt in twisties. Met just recently another guy on white bimmer s1000 from Salem. Rare breed to find around here. Gawd knows the amount of cruisers running around. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

1 hour ago, flashesbuck said:

I'm.going to.give you the best advice anyone ever could. Go TAKE A CLASS FIRST.  I had total of 4 open seats last week so there is no excuse for not getting in. Head over to Motorcycleohio.gov and check it out. You need the BRS, Basic Rider Course. It's the best 50$ you will ever spend. And it will save your life

Exactly,  there are a few Motorcycle Ohio coaches on the board (cough cough) and some coaches for track day organizations like STT and the Mid-Ohio School here too.  Take a class and come hang out.  Take ninjadoc up on his offer, get some miles in and give him a shout.

Also, welcome!

6 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

A Suzuki S40 is a perfect first motorcycle. If you like it, buy it. Take the MSF course and wear your gear. 

Happy riding to you. 

No worries about coolant! $1000 for the bike leaves $500 for gear, and maybe tires. Unless there is a separate budget for gear?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Rare breed to find around here. Gawd knows the amount of cruisers running around. 

I know the feeling. I ride mainly by myself one because I left the military to move to an area where I know no one and two I took jobs where I work from home and everyone I work with is in different states. I agree with one of the great parts of riding is the friends you make and I miss riding with people but around here it is mostly cruisers and I'd say 3 out of 10 wave and those seem hesitant since I'm not on a cruiser. I had a time of no two wheels in my life and I'll take solo riding over nothing any day of the week. 

On 8/14/2017 at 4:11 PM, whaler said:

I agree with everything here including the options of bikes (if you want a sport bike rather than cruiser).

And everyone's MSF comments.

YZF600R was my first bike.  You could probably pick one up at this time of year around $2k-$3k depending on mileage.  I miss her.  She was great too me.

1 hour ago, Xsr900Rider said:

I know the feeling. I ride mainly by myself one because I left the military to move to an area where I know no one and two I took jobs where I work from home and everyone I work with is in different states. I agree with one of the great parts of riding is the friends you make and I miss riding with people but around here it is mostly cruisers and I'd say 3 out of 10 wave and those seem hesitant since I'm not on a cruiser. I had a time of no two wheels in my life and I'll take solo riding over nothing any day of the week. 

U should just jump in and join one of the group rides posted here. Be atgatt and ready to ride your ride. I f you feel the pace is too hot headed, Just let the guy up ahead go to a point you don't have him in you radar and then ride like you are riding the solo ride with no pressure. They will wait at next intersection. And talk more about riding and enjoy the day and next big stop. 

I probably will one day. I of course need to get some riding pants as that is the last piece of Gear to make me ATGATT. I know let the hazing commence for riding in jeans :nono:. Been putting it off trying to decide on textile or riding jeans.

I probably will one day. I of course need to get some riding pants as that is the last piece of Gear to make me ATGATT. I know let the hazing commence for riding in jeans :nono:. Been putting it off trying to decide on textile or riding jeans.

@RidersDiscount can hook you up with some awesome deals on riding pants. I got some Tourmaster Venture Air pants from him and they were a heck of a deal.

• Beer 1

What size are you? I have riding jeans stashed somewhere that I haven't worn in years