New Bike Research

Xsr900Rider

So I'm sitting here looking at adventure and dual sport bikes. I am contemplating a new bike in 2018 and am heavily leaning towards a more multipurpose bike. I love the XSR but it is great on road, but the few times I hit heavy gravel roads it was a very sketchy.  So I'm looking for a bike that can handle highway riding (we really don't have much off road near me so may have to ride an hour or more to get places), can carry enough gear for weekend camping trips, and can handle some good off road riding. To me most bikes are too heavy for the last bit so I have been looking at this Yamaha T7 concept based off the fz-07, Africa Twin enduro concept, and Triumph tiger.I was also looking at the wr250r and crf250 Rally. Wondering what your thoughts are on having one bike for everything compared to getting a little dual sport and keeping a steet bike? 

Anybody have any experience with camping off motorcycle your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

@jschaf Hmm I think that might get added to list of possible options. They also are saying KTM is looking at coming out with a 790 Adventure maybe next year.  I think that 690 would be great on the trails just wondering how it can handle interstate for hours getting to areas to ride/camp. Definitely worth some research and a trip to a dealer to look at as I get closer to making a decision about switching bikes.

Edited by Xsr900Rider

I don't know too much about the KTM 690 Enduro, but I want to find out.   YouTube reviews say that it could handle 80mph all day.  If I get one of those I would definitely hang on to my street bike for the faster paced street rides though.

I would keep the street bike and get a small dual sport.BTW, I love your XSR...I think we share engines,I have the FJ 09.But anyway,I had a KLR and found out real quick that light weight is the way to go off road.I would never own a dual sport as heavy as a KLR again.

I've done a lot of camping on a bike but it was all on an FJR out west so I really can't speak to camping on a light weight bike.

29 minutes ago, drc32-0 said:

I would keep the street bike and get a small dual sport.BTW, I love your XSR...I think we share engines,I have the FJ 09.But anyway,I had a KLR and found out real quick that light weight is the way to go off road.I would never own a dual sport as heavy as a KLR again.

I've done a lot of camping on a bike but it was all on an FJR out west so I really can't speak to camping on a light weight bike.

I love it too which makes the thought of switching even harder. And yes we do share engines and I love this triple. 

Long freeway rides and off-road riding is pretty much mutually exclusive.  Keep the xsr for on road and freeway riding.  Get a true dualsport for off-road and camping.  DRZs haven't been previously mentioned, but they are easy to find used.  They are also very reliable.

5 hours ago, jschaf said:

I don't know too much about the KTM 690 Enduro, but I want to find out.   YouTube reviews say that it could handle 80mph all day.  If I get one of those I would definitely hang on to my street bike for the faster paced street rides though.

I was looking for good used one for long time. Hard to come by at the right price. Realibility is the only issue as far as I seen people discuss. As in they feel "real trust" to take a rally raided Honda cbx over a better performing 690 enduro into the wild boonies 

Light weight is best off road, but that usually means a thumper which are not great on the highway.

I can do hours of 65-70 on my DRZ but it is not nearly as comfortable doing that on the vstrom. 

The new Versys 300 may be a nice balance. Its not going to match a dual sport off road but it will be easier to pick up and handle than an adventure bike. The high reving twin and fairing will make highways more comfortable. 

Cb500x is a really good road bike.  It corners really well and will cruise at 85 all day.

In stock form, it doesn't have all that much ground clearance. But, I've ridden some pretty sketchy terrain and haven't gotten it stuck yet.  I wouldn't want anything heavier for off road riding.  Rally raid parts can turn it into a really capable adventure bike.

If you are going to trail ride get a single. If you want to run adventure? Man The Fuck Up, 90-100 HP is required. Anything less, We will be waitting on you and that shit gets old after day three.:lol:

• Haha 2

That is the thing I want a little of both. I am seriously looking at that KTM 690. Has enough grunt to get me to the trails with gear and will handle some serious trail riding. They seem like they are hard to find which is fine as I need to either talk the wife into a second bike and save up some for the bike fund or run the XSR a little more and decide if I can let her go.

First.  yOur XSR is the tits.  Especially that color.  I may be biased since i have a 50th and 60th.

Unless you are going to purposefully look for off road adventures, but just want to handle what ever comes your way with a lean toward street and camping, I'd suggest the Tenere or the Multistrada.  Both can be outfitted with had bags.  Multi comes in a 1200 V-Twin power too (or less).  My friend has a Multi 1200 and rails with me through the twisties and runs away from me on the occasional gravel roads.  That is his everyday/weekend bike.  He loves his Panigale, but it's really too track orientated for him.

47 minutes ago, mojocho said:

First.  yOur XSR is the tits.  Especially that color.  I may be biased since i have a 50th and 60th.

Unless you are going to purposefully look for off road adventures, but just want to handle what ever comes your way with a lean toward street and camping, I'd suggest the Tenere or the Multistrada.  Both can be outfitted with had bags.  Multi comes in a 1200 V-Twin power too (or less).  My friend has a Multi 1200 and rails with me through the twisties and runs away from me on the occasional gravel roads.  That is his everyday/weekend bike.  He loves his Panigale, but it's really too track orientated for him.

Thanks yeah it is a very nice bike and great motor. I am looking at being able to take weekend trips to Wayne to hit the trails, Hatfield McCoy, and any other trails I can find on weekends. Also hit all the dirt and gravel roads I can find to enjoy the country. I think most adventure bikes are going to be to big for the dirt capabilities I'm looking for. I used to have a crf450x and I used to love to take that down to Wayne. Got rid of it due to back surgery but now I feel like a whole new man and can start enjoying off-road again. Of course still have to be careful and not do anything to crazy, but anymore I am finding I enjoy riding and don't really need to ride like I'm racing myself all the time. 

22 minutes ago, Xsr900Rider said:

Thanks yeah it is a very nice bike and great motor. I am looking at being able to take weekend trips to Wayne to hit the trails, Hatfield McCoy, and any other trails I can find on weekends. Also hit all the dirt and gravel roads I can find to enjoy the country. I think most adventure bikes are going to be to big for the dirt capabilities I'm looking for. I used to have a crf450x and I used to love to take that down to Wayne. Got rid of it due to back surgery but now I feel like a whole new man and can start enjoying off-road again. Of course still have to be careful and not do anything to crazy, but anymore I am finding I enjoy riding and don't really need to ride like I'm racing myself all the time. 

I've been to Hatfield McCoy several times and I would want a dedicated dirt bike for it. You can get into some pretty nasty stuff down there.

It depends how much on road vs off road capability you want.  Few, if any bikes are great at both.

I want a bike that corners well on the road but not too heavy for unpaved.  Bikes like the F700GS and CB500x make sense for me, but that answer is different for everyone.  

Regarding the WR250, I just did 1700 miles through Colorado on mine in June.  Plenty of power for off road, and will cruise at 60 easily.  Pretty lightweight and handles well.  She struggled some up the mountains, but the fuel injection did a better job than a carb would have.  Pretty happy with the little unit.  Just wish i would have spent a bit more on a newer unit...its showing its age and wear.

IMG_1914.JPG

9 minutes ago, Qman said:

Regarding the WR250, I just did 1700 miles through Colorado on mine in June.  Plenty of power for off road, and will cruise at 60 easily.  Pretty lightweight and handles well.  She struggled some up the mountains, but the fuel injection did a better job than a carb would have.  Pretty happy with the little unit.  Just wish i would have spent a bit more on a newer unit...its showing its age and wear.

IMG_1914.JPG

That is a great pic! Why do I have to work :confused: if I ever hit the lottery I'm taking trips like that all the time. 

• Beer 1

Someone mentioned Multistrada and I know someone who would cut you a hell of a deal on one. I know this because he keeps texting me even though I have 0 cash since it's all wrapped up in my car :lol:

19 minutes ago, Xsr900Rider said:

That is a great pic! Why do I have to work :confused: if I ever hit the lottery I'm taking trips like that all the time. 

One more thing...the WR250R has a LOT more power output than the CRF 250.