Tank slapper, what to do?

NinjaDoc

Just now, durk said:

I can see @what you have been doing your homework. I'm guessing you want to know what to do if things go south on that jump on 676 you keep launching. 

That one can be a rough landing. :lol: I may have launched a sport touring bike there...

Your bike will correct it's own course, provided the suspension is not excessively mal-adjusted.  This may include a "tank slapper'.  As has been said here already, the best thing you can do is not make any steering  input to the bars, keep on the throttle, & grip the hell out of your tank with your knees.  That said, the best thing to do is learn to avoid the gravel.  Your photo shows what looks like a clear path that the car tires have cleared.  Last time I had a problem with gravel in 2010 it was not a tank slapper but a slam bam, broken bones thing. Reviewing the circumstances of that crash, there was a clear path through as well.  Hope to see you out riding again soon Nivin.  I don't recall you crashing up until now, so welcome to the club.  Everyone that really rides crashes at one time or another, so don't worry about it & avoid the gravel.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, what said:

giphy.gif

imagine this happening right in a corner, i tried as much as possible to loosen up and hold on but just couldnt finish the corner and ended up in grass :( But to be honest my presence of mind was just instinctual to slow down to make it around that corner and i dont think i gave it enough throttle 

44 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Your bike will correct it's own course, provided the suspension is not excessively mal-adjusted.  This may include a "tank slapper'.  As has been said here already, the best thing you can do is not make any steering  input to the bars, keep on the throttle, & grip the hell out of your tank with your knees.  That said, the best thing to do is learn to avoid the gravel.  Your photo shows what looks like a clear path that the car tires have cleared.  Last time I had a problem with gravel in 2010 it was not a tank slapper but a slam bam, broken bones thing. Reviewing the circumstances of that crash, there was a clear path through as well.  Hope to see you out riding again soon Nivin.  I don't recall you crashing up until now, so welcome to the club.  Everyone that really rides crashes at one time or another, so don't worry about it & avoid the gravel.

exactly J, as i mentioned in the first post, what happened was completely avoidable/ mainly and wholly my fault and on a regular normal day riding would never have happened if i was paying even the slightest attention.  But i really am thinking of adding the stabilizer if it will will give me even 10% additional protection and edge to minimize or survive these scenarios . 

Edited by NinjaDoc

3 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

But i really am thinking of adding the stabilizer if it will will give me even 10% additional protection and edge to minimize or survive these scenarios . 

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mc-garage-video-motorcycle-steering-dampers-explained/?cmpid=enewsSPOvidpkg080717&spMailingID=30075106&spUserID=NjMwNjg1MTkyMDYS1&spJobID=1100785618&spReportId=MTEwMDc4NTYxOAS2

I did not watch the video, just the article and thought you might get something from it Nivin. Typically the video has the same thing as the article.