OR - We need to talk.

Tonik

Apologize for my lack of knowing WTF was going on.  It was a last minute decision to go, and I didn't know the route.  This was my 2nd OR group ride ever.  I have a hard time hearing, so I wasn't sure what the (multiple) discussions going on were concluding.  So i just headed out with the first group.  Sorry if this caused any issues.  Next time I'll try to understand what's up a little better!  Had a great time chasing down the fast bikes, and still amazed the big GSA is able to handle as well as she does.  Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Qman said:

Apologize for my lack of knowing WTF was going on.  It was a last minute decision to go, and I didn't know the route.  This was my 2nd OR group ride ever.  I have a hard time hearing, so I wasn't sure what the (multiple) discussions going on were concluding.  So i just headed out with the first group.  Sorry if this caused any issues.  Next time I'll try to understand what's up a little better!  Had a great time chasing down the fast bikes, and still amazed the big GSA is able to handle as well as she does.  Thanks.

You are fine man, your still a noob. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qman said:

No issues, come ride with us more.  Thanks for coming along.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah....I'll admit, I didn't know the route...and rarely do. I know 80% of the roads down there, so if I make a mistake I can usually get caught back up with the group. That's exactly what happened Saturday. Apologize you guys had to wait for me, but maybe it was for the best since Todd had something come up that he needed to handle.

To be honest, I don't necessarily think knowing the route is the solution. I think being honest and vocal about one's abilities and pace, and splitting yourself into a group was the solution Saturday. Nobody wants to boss people around (i.e. "you're in group a, you're in group b, you suck go home"). So if we have 12 riders and someone says let's get into groups, give them a hand.

Anyway, it ended up working itself out in the end, as we only had 6 bikes in the ride for the duration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Qman said:

Had a great time chasing down the fast bikes, and still amazed the big GSA is able to handle as well as she does.  Thanks.

Q, Those were the halffast bikes you were chasIng but well done. :D

Wat to 

19 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

Q, Those were the halffast bikes you were chasIng but well done. :D

Thanks....That's as fast as I wanna throw the big teutonic tank around!  Touched the footpeg down twice while leaned off...suspension set to high....I think I'll set my limits right there, thank you very much!

Not sure what's going on here but surely @Tonik can't be the only one with grievances about how certain group rides take place. Why does he get to be the only whiner?

I personally don't have a problem with a group of ten riders as long as the sweep rider knows the route and is the same level rider as the lead guy. I took a few years off from riding lead in a group (with the exception of small sections of road that I liked) and never once knew the route but then I didn't need to since the lead guy knew how to handle the group properly.

Just about any level rider can be expected to show up for a publicly posted group ride unless the posted pace specifically excludes their abilities. Even then a ride descriptor is subject to interpretation and by the first gas stop an outlier should be clearly identified. A fast pace for a long time seasoned rider is different for a one or two year rider. I've made many concessions for riders that didn't fit in with the group and if you are unwilling or unable to figure out how to handle such situations maybe you shouldn't be making group rides public or trying to lead them.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

I wish. 

My kid was in an accident and totaled her car. As luck would have it it happened at the perfect time as we were pulled over waiting for the group to catch up otherwise I wouldn't have got the call. Also another lucky twist, we were well over 2 hours away from the scene so no way I could get there in time to be of any help but Jacobs quick thinking noticed it was just minutes from his dads house and he quickly called his dad who offered to help and went straight to the scene. His dad talked to my kid, stayed with her till it was resolved, handled the towing arrangements and paid the $200 bill for me without hesitation. I challenge anyone to show me a more stand up guy than Christopher Hawkins. 

Thank you again Jacob for catching that location and making that call. 

Damn, that's a great guy.  

32 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

Not sure what's going on here but surely @Tonik can't be the only one with grievances about how certain group rides take place. Why does he get to be the only whiner?

I personally don't have a problem with a group of ten riders as long as the sweep rider knows the route and is the same level rider as the lead guy. I took a few years off from riding lead in a group (with the exception of small sections of road that I liked) and never once knew the route but then I didn't need to since the lead guy knew how to handle the group properly.

Just about any level rider can be expected to show up for a publicly posted group ride unless the posted pace specifically excludes their abilities. Even then a ride descriptor is subject to interpretation and by the first gas stop an outlier should be clearly identified. A fast pace for a long time seasoned rider is different for a one or two year rider. I've made many concessions for riders that didn't fit in with the group and if you are unwilling or unable to figure out how to handle such situations maybe you shouldn't be making group rides public or trying to lead them.

14 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'm over group rides for a biscuit. Too much dick measuring and not enough humility or talent to stay on the road. I don't have anything constructive to add, but I'm not going to be stuck sweeping some fresh fish that has no business on a hot pace ride. If you invite them, you're responsible for them. EOT. 

I prefer to be the ride leader, but will only do so in certain situations.  There's a group of people that I've ridden with for years, all of us a capable of being the lead, sweep, or middle of the pack.   There's no egos, and we all know what to expect...we're all riding our pace, which is pretty similar for each rider. 

I rather ride with unfamiliar riders when there's just 2 or maybe 3 of us, not in a bigger group...and I watch closely.  I've met some outstanding riders that way, and some others I would NOT invite to a group ride, until their skills & maturity are more developed.  I've also ridden with some skilled riders that  AREN'T a particularly good fit to have on a group ride.   

When I'm leading, I tend to watch my mirrors a lot.  I'm actively trying to keep the group from getting split too far apart, and making sure no one is putting them self or another rider in jeopardy.  I won't ride with people who's ego exceeds their talent, or think a group ride a pissing contest. 

My level of comfort with other riders has nothing to do with pace.  It has everything to do with skill, smoothness, and being level headed.  I've dipped out of lots of rides when it just didn't feel right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I prefer to be the ride leader, but will only do so in certain situations.  There's a group of people that I've ridden with for years, all of us a capable of being the lead, sweep, or middle of the pack.   There's no egos, and we all know what to expect...we're all riding our pace, which is pretty similar for each rider. 

I rather ride with unfamiliar riders when there's just 2 or maybe 3 of us, not in a bigger group...and I watch closely.  I've met some outstanding riders that way, and some others I would NOT invite to a group ride, until their skills & maturity are more developed.  I've also ridden with some skilled riders that  AREN'T a particularly good fit to have on a group ride.   

When I'm leading, I tend to watch my mirrors a lot.  I'm actively trying to keep the group from getting split too far apart, and making sure no one is putting them self or another rider in jeopardy.  I won't ride with people who's ego exceeds their talent, or think a group ride a pissing contest. 

My level of comfort with other riders has nothing to do with pace.  It has everything to do with skill, smoothness, and being level headed.  I've dipped out of lots of rides when it just didn't feel right.

Went to said group ride.  Rode at "the pace" with a friend (B-Mac) that has similar skill set & similar riding interest to me.  Had a great ride.  Got to socialize with some of the young bucks at stops. Apparently they went a little faster than us in the straights & a little slower than us in the corners. There are some up & coming genuinely good riders in that group. Nobody crashed or even had a close call that I'm aware of.  Everybody that went on the ride claims to have had a good time except for maybe the OP here. 

Do you ever get that VFR out anymore Tony.  Do you ever get that CBR out anymore Todd.  We used to have some pretty good rides as I recall.

6 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Anybody want to buy a pair of Ducatis? 

Dibs on Izzy.  But you're probably talking about that ugly Multi or Monster...  Seriously, I was talking to Andy the other day about how in love I am with that bike.  Katie green lighted a 900ss if one pops up.  Just sayin.

43 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I need to get tires mounted on the VFR.  I already have them.

Excellent. They aren't trail tires are they? Did some "near single track" on the Ninja, LOL.

Edited by jschaf

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Isabella and the Multi have to go as a pair. You give me $8k.. I give you two titles and a shitload of keys. What you do with either after the fact is your business. 

Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Isabella and the Multi have to go as a pair. You give me $8k.. I give you two titles and a shitload of keys. What you do with either after the fact is your business. 

This would be like me selling both of my ZRX. 

Would most likely result in years of kicking yourself in the ass.