Danimal

Starting my Blog soon. How honest to be?

Danimal    701

I'm fine. Not happy but fine. Am almost home now. 

NinjaDoc    4,120

Ride another day Dan,  good to hear ur okay. 

Danimal    701

what a fucking mess my life is suddenly

Car is foobarred. Needs major work, and I don't have the money. Nor would I want to spend the money just to have to sell it in 6 months or so,

So I was planning on commuting as much as possible on Merry until Winter set in and then would try to limp car through it.

Now Merry is fucked.

New left side radiator is $279!!  and to make matters worse, she developed a bad oil leak on right side of motor on Saturday. Bad in that it's more than a weep.

And...several weeks earlier, had started seeping oil from the base of the cam chain tensioner.

So yesterday I used one of two remaining vacation days, and spent the majority of the day trying to get the DR road worthy. Don't have a garage which doesn't help.

Got it running got it insured and rode the DR to work. Runs rough. Needs major rebuild work, but now I need it to get to work on,,,,

Didn't expect Merry to go down like this...she's running SOOOO well right now.

Edited by Danimal

Danimal    701

Seriously now having thoughts about leaving work NOW, cashing in, getting out from under these pressing issues and then....like a wisp of smoke...be on my way.

Hell, if I though I'd get back more than $1500 on trade, State 8 (ughhh...I know) have a brand new 2016 DR650 for $4900. Buy that. farkle and go.

2talltim    9,767

Just think things through man. Times like this is what can make or break you. Not saying doing one thing is better than the other just saying think though all possible scenarios. Usually with rational thought all the answers will be more clear.

Edited by 2talltim

Danimal    701

can feel myself slipping into depression again. And over what really...not sure

Hard to put a finger on how I'm feeling, but it's not good. Confused. Scared. Sad. Uncertain. 

All these weekends I could have been prepping the DR I spent riding.

smccrory    610
12 minutes ago, Danimal said:

can feel myself slipping into depression again. And over what really...not sure

Hard to put a finger on how I'm feeling, but it's not good. Confused. Scared. Sad. Uncertain. 

All these weekends I could have been prepping the DR I spent riding.

Not to make light of it, but it's normal to feel this way.  You've been making plans, investments and decisions that for the moment anyway aren't working out the way you want.  Several setbacks are converging upon you - not just one or two, but several and unfortunately it's going to take even more hustle to dig out, just when you thought you were getting to a plateau.  I'd guess (hope, even) you're emotionally invested in a pathway to adventure and shedding old skin, but that skin is holding on, jeopardizing the timing of some plans.  It sucks; so of course you're confused, sad, uncertain and at some point will probably get pissy about it too.  I know I do when shit like this happens.

Mourn the plan as it was, then clear your head, write things down and formulate a new one.  You've got this, that's all.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

Danimal    701
On 9/19/2017 at 3:54 PM, smccrory said:

Not to make light of it, but it's normal to feel this way.  You've been making plans, investments and decisions that for the moment anyway aren't working out the way you want.  Several setbacks are converging upon you - not just one or two, but several and unfortunately it's going to take even more hustle to dig out, just when you thought you were getting to a plateau.  I'd guess (hope, even) you're emotionally invested in a pathway to adventure and shedding old skin, but that skin is holding on, jeopardizing the timing of some plans.  It sucks; so of course you're confused, sad, uncertain and at some point will probably get pissy about it too.  I know I do when shit like this happens.

Mourn the plan as it was, then clear your head, write things down and formulate a new one.  You've got this, that's all.

Not sure what to say. So I'll just say thank you and leave it at that. 

• Beer 1

Danimal    701

A sad day, but perhaps a good thing.

Am working out final details on the sale of Merry. Buyer is in TX and we're working on finalizing everything.

He's excited to get a RX3 cheap with ALL the bells and whistles possible, and plans on quickly getting her back on the road.

And ...if State 8 will give me $1500 in trade on the DR, along with the cash from Merry...just might = new 2016 DR650 

• Upvote 1

Tonik    10,985

While sad, I think you have a solid plan here man.

Danimal    701

The trip to Timmys and Jacob's this weekend will help me decide whether to continue the rebuild on the used 2006, or go for broke on a new one.

The whole "warranty" thing on the new bike is appealing, but...once I start swapping out parts for the trip, some of the work may void the warranty, eliminating that advantage.

Beside, there are DRs out there with close to 100K with only minor work, so fingers crossed.

Tonik    10,985
31 minutes ago, Danimal said:

The trip to Timmys and Jacob's this weekend will help me decide whether to continue the rebuild on the used 2006, or go for broke on a new one.

The whole "warranty" thing on the new bike is appealing, but...once I start swapping out parts for the trip, some of the work may void the warranty, eliminating that advantage.

Beside, there are DRs out there with close to 100K with only minor work, so fingers crossed.

Are the newer ones less prone to blowing a gear...I recall you saying the older ones had a rare issue with that?

Danimal    701

the dreaded "thrid gear" issue on the DR is still out there, waiting for random motors to grenade.

There ARE aftermarket gear sets to eliminate the possibility. though expensive and requires a motor rebuild.

The PO on my DR was a freaking Hooligan, so am hoping that he "tested" the strength of the gearbox sufficiently. Seems smooth as silk.

Am adding a magnetic oil plug soon too. Early signs of 3rd gear degradation are evident through visible metallic fragments that will be trapped on the magnet. That will give a little warning time

So ......no...Suzuki has not corrected the problem. Hell, the new one is still carbed!

• Upvote 1

smccrory    610

I loved my 2006 DR, and what you say about the 3rd gear issue is correct.  A magnetic oil plug is a Very Good Thing.

Definitely safety-wire up those NSU screws - if they back out, they can chew up the oil pump gears and starve the engine.

I'm a fan of the countersprocket shaft seal retainer that Suzuki now ships on their bikes.  It's a cheap part and good insurance against a vomiting countershaft, were the seal to try to slip out.

The DR comes horribly lean from the factory.  I didn't rejet mine, but I got rid of a 1/4 throttle lean spot by lifting the needle with a washer and slightly enriching the idle mixture screw (after extracting its cap).  My friend Jeff got even better results by applying the Dynojet kit and cutting open the top of the airbox.  There are good online articles on how to do both mods, but if your bike has already been modified, it's possibly worth going back to stock jetting and moving from that baseline.  Also for sure check the valve clearances - they will make other things like jetting appear wrong if they're out of spec.  It's amazing how much better a thumper runs with correct valve clearances.

My DR was a bit cold blooded and the starter has a lot of work to do.  I found that a new battery regularly topped of with a tender helped morning starts quite a bit.  There's nothing like a strong spin to get that jug pumping choked air/fuel mixtures.

I had a bad steering bearing when I got it - it manifested in headshake at 60+ mph - totally fixed with new headstock bearings I changed out one rainy day.  That is, until I added big handguards and a commuter windscreen, then the shake came back.  Lesson here is to protect your hands but don't pick monster guards if you don't have to, and skip the screen if able.

I loved Wolfman panniers and a 20L dry sack on the top for camping loadouts, but there are so many great choices now for Dual Sports.

Since you plan to do a lot of off-road while loaded up, think about stiffening the stock suspension as much you can tolerate.  I think I had my rear preload pretty stiff, and the front forks lowered (bike raised) as much as they'd go to make up for its famously soft springs.  There are stiffer springs out there too, and revalve kits (FFRC gets great reviews) but that might be overkill.

Danimal    701

No such thing as overkill when preparing for a year-long trip

Already have the NSU kit. Will install soon at same time as high output stator and MOSFET R&R. 

Timmy and I installed new drive seal and retainer last night

we also:

mouned new tires and balance

installed new chain and sprockets

Installed DR250 twilight assembly and licence plate bracket and light

new turn signals

new folding shift lever

lowered footpeg brackets and oversize footpegs

removed choke cable and installed on-carb choke knob

new spark plugs 

cleaned up and detailed a bit. Painted rally screen black after fucking up the acrylic finish with solvent cleaner. Looks great IMO

Tidied up wiring. Cleaned hoses. Tightened fasteners. 

Now like a different bike. 

Taking a break now in Mohican area

image.jpg

Edited by Danimal
  • Thanks 1

Qman    261

Is there a huge noticeable power increase over Merry??

Danimal    701

I'm home after night at hospital in Canton. They say I went through a windshield head first. Don't remember even seeeing a car. 

Havent seen the bike yet. They told me it is totalled. 

Pain meds wearing off now. Hurt all over

• Sad 2

Isaac's Papa    37,898

Just spoke with Dan. He's alright. He's home and in some amount of pain. Please refrain from calling or texting until he says otherwise. 

He will check this thread when he's up to moving around. 

Thank you. 

• Upvote 3

NinjaDoc    4,120
23 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I'm home after night at hospital in Canton. They say I went through a windshield head first. Don't remember even seeeing a car. 

Havent seen the bike yet. They told me it is totalled. 

Pain meds wearing off now. Hurt all over

Wtf :( get well soon Dan, I think I told pauly few weeks back "I feel like some unholy planets are aligned against OR in 2017" this has been a bad year for many active members with lot of crasho-socio-economic-medical issues :( 

Qman    261

Wow...Hope all goes well.  Heal up Dan!  Prayers and thoughts for ya!

DerekClouser    647

Wow, sorry to hear about this Dan.  I hope you are okay.  Heal up!  Don't worry about the bike, that can be replaced.  Just focus on getting healed up!