Danimal

Starting my Blog soon. How honest to be?

Dan, you shouldn't have to worry about what other people think. This is your adventure and you should enjoy it. I couldn't image the anxiety and fear of planning a trip of this magnitude. I'm sure you will face challenges and find ways to get through them. I think your title is catchy and will suit the blog/thread well.

I don't know you personally, but I think that with what you said you should be as blunt or as honest as you want to be. Who cares what anyone thinks on the internet anyways. Will it stop you from going? I'm thinking not. I'm a migraine sufferer so I sort of know how you feel. My triggers seem to change like the wind and I can never pinpoint them. But if you've found some relief that works and believe that doing this will help you, by all means man...GO! I wish you the best of luck on this adventure!

came close already to asking for this entire thing to be deleted.

I appreciate the encouragement Justin, Dave

Just need a little backbone now.

Dan, 

I've known you for a few years now.  You've always been blunt and straight forward with me and from how I've seen you interact with others.  Don't let this adventure and your story be any different.  Put it all out there... that's kind of the whole purpose of this trip as well.  You are literally just putting yourself out there and doing it.   Don't let this story be anything but that.  Be blunt, be honest, and just put it out there.  It's YOUR story and anyone who doesn't want to read it can move on.  But from your true friends and bike family, we know who you are and what you are about.  We know you are blunt and honest and forthcoming.   

I absolutely dig the title.  Will you likely repost everything you post on ADV onto here as well or do I need to create an account to follow along?  

I think the story (whether done live or after the fact) would be pretty amazing and a good read.  Whatever happens, I wish you the best on your trip and that you find the relief you seek.

I think the title should involve shroom puns though.  "Cluster Fuck: the Headaches, the Pain, and the Pleasure of a real fun guy"

FUCK YEAH

Edited by jbot

Not going to say much here because we've talked about this many times and you know I suport you and have nothing but love for you brother. And when I call you brother, you have earned that title with me. I don't call many folks brother or sister but when I do I mean it and you essentially are a part of my family. You have a heart of solid gold and wear it on your sleeve and no-one can take that away from you. So speak loud and proud and do the damn thing you want and need to do.

• Upvote 1

Dan,

It's your trip, your blog, your brain, your thoughts and your dream to do this ride. Barring anything that may cause legal issues I'd say fuck everyone and talk about whatever the hell it is you want to talk about. People admire and appreciate honesty, and those that don't aren't the type of people you want to have any sort of association with anyway. 

Dan me and all the rest who met you would attest to the fact that there are "no filters" and "no masks" "no adulteration" in your nature and your words and your behavior.

You be yourself Dan, everything will work out and for the better. 

It will be so much better and excited to follow your real REAL tales compared to all the fake reality stuff that's filling up today's world. 

Be real and honest... it's the only way to remove the anxiety and be free.

Anyone know where to find shrooms?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You're going to be a wise old man as a result of this trip Dan.  Pretty ballsy thing to do.  I wish you the best man.

diarrhea 

giphy.gif

Edited by motocat12

Is it your intent to come back after a year, or does "liquidating" avail you to other options?

3 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Dan, when you liquidate everything and leave, please keep back one left grip, some one must still be searching for it next year :D  

I'd like to take it now since everything must go! Naw...I just got bold and pulled the grip off the old bars. Didn't want to wait for a replacement.  There was logic to my plan tho. You know it's true!

Anyway, this "trip" sounds awesome. Like real living with potential for improving life further. Eh, even if you die, at least you lived!

I have a melatonin issue and that affects my sleep pattern. Occasionally taking a tiny bit of melatonin supplement helps that. (Like 1/4 mg.) I tried 5-HTP once, which is a precursor to serotonin, which is a precursor to melatonin. Went to sleep, but woke up feeling like I needed to physically get out of my own skull! I don't take that anymore. heh Messing with serotonin can set you up for an f-ed up day, as in Prozac and homicide.

1655673_orig.png

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

Dan, 

I've known you for a few years now.  You've always been blunt and straight forward with me and from how I've seen you interact with others.  Don't let this adventure and your story be any different.  Put it all out there... that's kind of the whole purpose of this trip as well.  You are literally just putting yourself out there and doing it.   Don't let this story be anything but that.  Be blunt, be honest, and just put it out there.  It's YOUR story and anyone who doesn't want to read it can move on.  But from your true friends and bike family, we know who you are and what you are about.  We know you are blunt and honest and forthcoming.   

I absolutely dig the title.  Will you likely repost everything you post on ADV onto here as well or do I need to create an account to follow along?  

Not sure yet Derek. You should have an ADV account anyways. It's a great place for two wheel enthusiasts of any genre

15 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Not going to say much here because we've talked about this many times and you know I suport you and have nothing but love for you brother. And when I call you brother, you have earned that title with me. I don't call many folks brother or sister but when I do I mean it and you essentially are a part of my family. You have a heart of solid gold and wear it on your sleeve and no-one can take that away from you. So speak loud and proud and do the damn thing you want and need to do.

Actually made me well up Timmy. Feeling is reciprocal my friend

15 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I ain't reading shit. 

wasn't aware you could read. Good to know

14 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Anyone know where to find shrooms?

Amazon River basin

11 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Is it your intent to come back after a year, or does "liquidating" avail you to other options?

Am planning on setting aside 20K or so for when I get back. Grab a used Civic and get a job in a Bicycle Shop for health insurance. Once 62, may take off again for perhaps Guatemala and settle down. My SS check will be more than enough to live well. Another goal of this trip is to see if I can find a place that I might like to spend my latter years

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing's for sure...your innate ability to bring your thoughts to words in a flowing and capturing manner.  Your command of, and precision in execution with written English is evident .  If for no other reason, you should use your gift for the benefit of the rest of us dreamers.  Consider trying to publish your adventure story at some point.

I too dream of riding to the "Fin del Mundo" some day.  Enjoy your trip!  

13 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Another goal of this trip is to see if I can find a place that I might like to spend my latter years

That's what I was wondering.

As far as how honest to be...only you can answer that question.  Some details will be for public consumption, some will be private.  

I'm sure a lot of ADV riders will be interested in certain aspects of the trip, but don't make a blog more of a responsibility that it has to be.  If you have a lot to say, take your time...maybe write a book about your journey (figurative and literal).

23 minutes ago, Qman said:

One thing's for sure...your innate ability to bring your thoughts to words in a flowing and capturing manner.  Your command of, and precision in execution with written English is evident .  If for no other reason, you should use your gift for the benefit of the rest of us dreamers.  Consider trying to publish your adventure story at some point.

I too dream of riding to the "Fin del Mundo" some day.  Enjoy your trip!  

You're welcome to join me Quinn. Even if just for part of the trip

• Thanks 1

You can always type everything out and hide parts with spoiler tags for people who only want good stuff.

From your original post I take it that this is not just a motorcycle trip but an attempt to deal with a medical problem you have dealt with most of your life.If that is the reason for this trip you should be as honest and forthcoming as you can.Ride reports are a dime a dozen,but what you are doing could be important to others who are suffering from Cluster Headaches.You never know who's reading the ride reports on a forum as wide reaching as adventure riders....you could very well be helping/saving someone else's life while hopefully bettering your own.

At the very least you will be leading a life uncommon.Best wishes finding what you are looking for.

• Upvote 1

Lots of parts arriving now for the DR650. 

As I don't have a garage, I'm looking for a place near Cuyahoga Falls where I can do some work. Anyone have any space available?

So far the work will be:

• Strip bike down, remove tank, seat, side panels
  • Clean up wiring.
  • Remove stock BST40 carb, intake and airbox boots
  • Remove clutch side cover, pull clutch
  • Remove NSU screws, replace with safety wired allen head bolts
  • Reinstall clutch  and side cover
  • Remove opposite side cover, remove stator
  • Install higher output stator, reinstall cover
  • Cut off grips, throw away the heated grip mess on the bike
  • Pull bars off, remove (bent) stock risers
  • Replace risers and add 2" rotating risers. Install new lever perches and adjustable shorty levers. New Oury grips
  • Remove stock exhaust system.
  • Install new stainless header pipe, midpipe and 2 Bros can
  • Install new TM40 pumper carb (pre-jetted to my setup) and install K&N air filter and Procycle foam overboot.
  • Modify stock airbox lid per Procycle instructions and template.
  • Run new longer throttle cables, secure
  • Install Safari 30L tank, new petcock gaskets, new fuel lines.
  • Repair/replace stock DR tail light, and add LED insert
  • Replace turn signals (incandescent) with new rubber mounted LED signals (remember to add resistors)
  • Install plate on rear fender for license bracket (bike currently has no way of mounting plate)
  • Install new Acerbis front fender (current OEM fender messed up)
  • check valves
  • Change oil/filer
  • Install new Mitas E-07 tires (bike has road tires on it now)

And then ride it.....all this Fall. This Winter it will get suspension overhauled

• Beer 2

Dan, what kind of licensing is required to ride in other countries?  Do need anything besides a passport?

Passport is all that's needed. Visas for a few places. Current registration and valid license from country of issue. You purchase Insurance for each individual country at the border,

Lots more info on ANY aspect of overlanding on 2 wheels (including border crossing details, etc) can be found at Horizons Unlimited's website

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Thinking of coming?

Edited by Danimal