Danimal

Danimal's Daily Drivel / Thoughts concerning preparations for a year-long journey.

This makes me want to go to Mexico. Following your posts on Facebook and here, looks like you're having a blast. 

Any run ins with the Mexican cops? Friend of mine who visits Mexico a lot says he has to carry around some $20 bills to pay off the cops every now and then or else they'll harass white people. You experience anything like that? 

On 8/3/2017 at 3:04 PM, Danimal said:

How honest?

On 8/3/2017 at 6:53 PM, motocat12 said:

diarrhea 

I think Dan hit my line of honesty level.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

to my Ohio Riders friends, many of whom don't follow other web forums:

A famous Moto-overlander and journalist Paul Stewart (RTWPaul) recently interviewed me about my 5 month trip I recently returned from. It's just been published today on Adventure Rider's front page online magazine. Take a look!

https://advrider.com/inmate-interview-series-7-dan-byers-ohio_danimal/

Good read, Dan!

My Son Spencer is here for the holidays from Boston, and he has ideas on how I could maintain sustainable travel. One option would be to have monthly subscriber content, as many others have done in the past on RTW trips.

So, the link below will take you to a Google Poll that he created, to try to mine ideas and gather your feedback on the ideas.

Please follow the link and please, if you followed my adventure thus far on my blog here, on ADV or FB, your opinions mean a lot to me...and...the your responses to the poll are totally anonymous

Thanks, and Happy Holidays OR friends.

Are there any OR members who were thinking of attending Overland Expo West this May?

Ed and I will be riding from here to attend in AZ May 17-19, and then we’ll be heading South into Mexico from there. 

I know a few of you like ADV style rallies. This is one of the biggest. 

So if you’ve considered it, we would be happy to have others join the trip out. 

Friends are having a send off for me. It’d be cool to see some of you there. 

Rollhouse  Entertainment 

33185 Bainbridge Road
Solon, Ohio 44139

April 5, 4:30 PM

drinks, food, whatever. 

Leaving Ohio again on May 7th

Edited by Danimal

I will be in Florida next weekend, Dan. I am sorry to miss this. 

• Sad 1

Will be out of town dan, wish I could have made it.

May 7 are you riding out for the long journey? Which direction will you be taking? 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Danimal said:

Yes, leaving for a year-long trip to the tip of South America and return.

This is Cycle South la seguna parte. The first attempt lasted 22,000 miles, 5 months, 38 states and most of Mexico.

Ended with me in a hospital in Salina Cruz Oaxaca. After three weeks in the hospital I was scared and headed back to the US for further recovery.

I'm in Mexico right now to have follow up medical work done by the same Dr. that treated me last August after I was released from the hospital.

The follow up work is done, and he gave me the go-ahead to get back on my way,

Leaving Ohio May 7th. with Ed. Ride West to AZ

Attending the OAX (Overland Expo West) in AZ May 17-19, and then my next "must be at" date is June 28th in Carti Panama to catch a sailboat that'll take me and the bike to Cartegena Columbia. From there, ride Columbia, Ecuador, Uraguay, Paraguay, Chile, Peru, Argentine (camping in Patagonia!) and the finally to Tierra del Fuego in Ushuaia.

If funds hold up, will then attempt to ride back.

If low on funds at the tip, will ride North to Buenos Aires, nd sell the bike at a famous market there where Moto-overlanders sell thie rbikes, and then fly back to Ohio.

This time I'll make it the whole way.

This time I'm not dilly dallying around Mexico for three months, but making a beeline for Panama. Once in Columbia, I do plan on slowing way way down.

And get this Nivin....am doing it on ONE bike lol!

¡Buen Viaje Amigo!  Buena suerte.   

• Beer 1

Glad I checked back in. Almost missed you again! Glad to hear your making another attempt. You'd think since we live within a 5 mile radius of one another we would run into each other at one point! 

My bike Sunny has been entered into the "Cool Ride 2019" contest at the Overland Expo West ADV Rally taking place May 17-19th in Flagstaff AZ (I'll be attending)

If I win, I get a free pass! 

Take a moment and go vote for Sunny!

https://www.overlandexpo.com/cool-ride#view=gallery&for=eLV0JkwRBy8

• Upvote 1

Done. That may have been the easiest vote to cast on the internet ever. No request for my email address or any other crap. 

I voted lots of times, he has the 50 votes he needs to make it to the next round.

@Danimal Speaking of Panama, have you listened to the recent podcast from Adventure Rider Radio?  Interesting episode about Spencer James Conway trying to get thru customs.  Just an FYI.

Commentary that's applicable is 3:50 thru about 30 min.  Last hour is discussion about tires.  Almost as good as the OR "Epic Oil Thread"...

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/canoe-west-media/adventure-rider-radio-2/e/60000774?refid=asa&fbclid=IwAR36dy6Q20FR9hwanIWWdms_-047uXbMaydhZLI2i-L7zyFCUOy95XOWCxE&autoplay=true

On 4/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, Bubba said:

@Danimal Speaking of Panama, have you listened to the recent podcast from Adventure Rider Radio?  Interesting episode about Spencer James Conway trying to get thru customs.  Just an FYI.

Commentary that's applicable is 3:50 thru about 30 min.  Last hour is discussion about tires.  Almost as good as the OR "Epic Oil Thread"...

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/canoe-west-media/adventure-rider-radio-2/e/60000774?refid=asa&fbclid=IwAR36dy6Q20FR9hwanIWWdms_-047uXbMaydhZLI2i-L7zyFCUOy95XOWCxE&autoplay=true

Thanks Bubba! Really appreciate it!

not familiar with this podcast. Listening now. 

So it’s a very informative podcast from a RTW overlanding perspective, but didn’t cause me more concern than I already have (which is plenty)

Mainly because I’ll be sailing across the Darien Gap in both directions, and part of the fee for passage includes all Aduena (Customs) paperwork including insurance and is done by the Captain, so when they winch my bike onto the dock, whether in Carti Panama heading North or Cartegena Columbia on the Southbound leg, I can get on and ride away. 

That guy and his wife in the Podcast  were set up as part of an inside job in the airport Aduena. The Aduena woman at the window withheld a specific document (which he admits he failed to check on) and was in cahoots with fake Aduena people who tried to extort the $3000 because he didn’t have said document  

Harrowing nonetheless. 

I was stopped and shaken down for bribes by Mexican Policia twice. Both times negotiated to a much lower bribe and moved on. 

Was also stopped and the bike strip searched by Federales, who said they thought I was a Yankee mule loaded with drugs coming from Cancun to the US (I was kinda in the area, visiting Aztec ruins at Palenque)

Edited by Danimal