Danimal

Danimal's Daily Drivel / Thoughts concerning preparations for a year-long journey.

16 hours ago, what said:

Dakar is probably the coolest race in the world. 

Not during that time of year!ūüėĚ

so I'll throw out my latest conundrum for you folks to ponder and maybe provide feedback on, hopefully based on some actual field experience, or even just strong basic points

Subject being camping on this trip.

If I think of my trip in sections, and the opportunities to camp and save serious $$ to extend the trip, here are my thoughts by section:

NC Smokys West to the West coast?

• LOST of camping along the TAT. But...we'll be moving each day (important point that'll be clear in a moment

Mexico

• Little camping outside of Baja (may not do Baja because of cost of ferry from LaPaz) and cheap lodging with showers are plentiful throughout. Maybe an opportunity or three, but not what will be the focus as the day progresses. Will be looking for a Hostel or motel.

Guatemala (and, in turn, Central America through to Carti Panama)

• Maybe...but to me, not thinking of spending TOO much time in Central America...just get trough it to my dock date in Panama for the sailboat to Columbia

Columbia

• Yes...more in the South but cheap lodging and food are everywhere

Ecuador and South to the tip

• Better and better until when you think it can't possibly GET any better you get to the Patagonia region and realize why you went.

My sleeping gear was decided over a year ago. A Big Agnes synthetic 15deg bag with 4" insulated air mattress inside the bag. Comfy, warm and comfy even for a side sleeper like me

Two inflatable pillows pack to less size than a soda can and hold up well

Cooking gear has been tested and proven

But the tent....the FUCKING tent

Do I take a small 2 person tent that I've used MANY times or the Redverz Solo moto-tent?

Weight/pack size considerations:

• Kelty Gunnerson 2 tent with poles, just under 5¬† 1/2 lbs and packs small
  • Redvery Solo tent all packed is 12 lbs, and will FILL a large Wolfman duffel on my passenger seat (nice backrest!)

Design considerations / execution:

• 2 man Gunnerson tent can be free-standing and it's two poles can be up and in place in a few minutes
  • Redverz Tent NEEDS guylines to stake out to hold it up¬†(tunnel design) and seems to always take at least 5 minutes to get up

Room / livability considerations:

• Gunnerson is to sleep in. Can't even erect the small camp chair in there comfortably. If rained-in, you're sitting cross-legged (I'm 57 ok?)
  • Redverz Solo tent has a fucking garage attached...ok?¬† :) Ge t up out of the solo sleep area, and stand up fully. Set up your chair. Cook breakfast...out of the rain! Weather got you socked in for a day or more? Bring the damn bike in out of the rain, into the garage area and STILL have room to sit/cook outside the sleeping area

Teardown  /packup:

You know the drill....and it's only worse if shit's wet.

• 2 man tent?...two poles...done in 1 min. Rainfly off, shake it out, roll it up, stuff stuff.....then the inner tent...same stuff stuff...done.
  • Redverz Solo...Jesus almighty where do I start? I gotta admit I have only camped three weeks with it, but damn, I'm fairly proficient at shit and couldn't get it down pat. 15 minutes to pack...and if wet...a HEAVY WET full duffel bag.

I could easily sell the Redverz Solo tent should I decide to go small and light, but don't want to until I decide.

So...do I haul the big, heavy Redverz tent ALL THAT WAY just to enjoy the fruits of my labor later, or go light....and then, six months into the trip, cold, alone and miserable, broken down and wet on the plains of Argentina...be crammed into the little tent when I could be chilling in the Redverz, working on the bike out of the rain and feeling safe and secure.

Thoughts?

Edited by Danimal

You are going to be gone a long time. You could get hit with several days of rain that you don't want to ride in. If you are ok on weight, you take the big one.

• Upvote 2

I'd take the redverz just for the fact you can hide your bike in it if you needed to.

I'd take the redverz and have contingency plan such as, if the redverz isn't working out, sell it while on the road and have a way to purchase or have someone send the smaller tent to you before you leave the states. You'll have a couple months on the road in the states to be able to hash out any issues with your gear before headed to the area where you can't get things as easily. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

If camping is out till much later in the trip, why not have the tent and camping gear shipped down later, when you need it?  At the same time you could ship some cooler weather gear as you head south.  Yeah, you'd like to be self sufficient, but something to consider.   I could see you camped out on a beach or mountaintop somewhere for days, so I'd take the big one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Qman said:

I could see you camped out on a beach or mountaintop somewhere for days, so I'd take the big one.

:camping::jd:

• Beer 1

In the mail today was the tracking information for my entire front fairing assembly, shipped from Brisbane Australia. Is currently in Hong Kong, and expected delivery in this Friday!

Signature required, but I'm off Friday anyways and not doin anything in particular....

Can finally wrap up the bike build!!!

• Upvote 2

This was an interesting series of videos to watch.   Apologies if it has been posted before.  Too tired to look through 29 pages.  I've been following this thread on and off.

Edited by Wojo72

thanks. Have seen that. He seemed totally unprepared at times, and had lots of panic attacks. Good editing

Thanks

Big tent for the last part of the trip Maybe you could study to see if you could buy another one out there somewhere Just Give Me the big tent

It seems like the consensus is to take the Redvers tent but I'm going to disagree. For the U.S. leg of your trip, I'd take the smaller tent. The time spent setting up and tearing down every day gets old. The extra weight and bulk gets old. And for what? You need a garage on the trail? You're going to ride your bike through all kinds of weather and crap anyway. So what if it sits out all night? The only time I would consider using the Redvers tent is if I was going to a destination where I was going to be in the same spot for a week trail riding or something and didn't have to make and break camp every day. Just my personal approach, which usually puts a premium on traveling light.

Once I finished the U.S. portion of your trip, I'd sell the small tent or ship it back home. I have traveled in Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Camping is so much less common there and hotel rooms can be had so cheap that I would not camp. Off the beaten path, I have rented a room for $3 a night. I am not an alarmist and I don't worry about traveling abroad, but by camping you are doing something unusual and may just draw the wrong kind of attention to yourself from the wrong kind of people.

I have not traveled in South America so I won't comment there (though Colombia -- not Columbia -- is not going to be a lot different from Central America). In the south, in the more remote areas, having a tent may be a real asset, even necessary. I don't know.

The best thing you can do is continue practicing your Spanish. Vas a tener una experiencia mil veces mejor y mucho mas profundo si puedes comunicar con la gente en vez de viajar solo y mudo por el paisaje.

Buen viaje.

gracias Lance

latest plan: I may have a secure address in Ecuador to ship to. So, with perfect timing from the exit of Columbia, I ship the small tent home, and the Redverz is there waiting for me.

Should have other stuff ready to trim off and send home by then as well.

Will be meeting friends and their family at Christmas in Southern Ecuador.

• Beer 1

maxresdefault_zpsqvzw9yxs.jpg

607CD48F-8B88-41FB-ABC7-8A50CCAC7540_zps

D1307242-9B34-42F8-A4AE-9F458E65541F_zps

097BBCEE-E5D0-4103-9434-8412E77C28E6_zps

E9E35DC1-4626-47E1-9147-900D826ECF8F_zps

08B2B03A-E695-40DF-B1ED-F92EA379089C_zps

'Nuff said  (wait...I didn't say shit!!)
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Looks awesome man, now finish the damn thing already!  

• Beer 1

That cowling is sexy. As. Fuck.

• Like 1

peeled off the graphics it had, and am playing with some yellow vinyl wrap that matches stuff better, and mounted the windscreen...and a few decals

DBCE83D8-117E-488B-BB40-AB80EF67DCA9_zps

Thanks Pauly for the help today. Hard to spend this kind of cash and then take cutoff wheels to it

352F6257-BBDD-46FC-A085-FDA103363C6D_zps

403BBD4A-E1FF-4D32-ABD3-34ED5B0786BB_zps

183406F2-E27A-4644-9DF1-BAAC3F6FC730_zps

438E8B9B-A5AC-446B-B685-5667574B4926_zps

46B1E6C5-C3E4-4740-AAFB-7D91D49C3DD8_zps

B537166B-A868-4FC4-AF9D-4215530318F4_zps

883BADF2-3913-4DAA-8E5D-8C8CA0D5868D_zps

2FD02D86-6180-4FA8-AE07-E35D320C2F5E_zps

785EF85D-9B01-4DEC-8A6A-5ED7710F07A0_zps

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

Looks great Dan.  

so. sitting in my truck at 1 am moab time (3am eastern) my tent was blown away in a dust storm. everything is covered in red dust. blah.

I managed to get most of the tent piicked up and everything else stuffed into the truck.

I'm fine, just feeling not very happy atm.

• Sad 1

Buddy of mine sent me a pic of this sweet DR he saw at the pony last week.  

I told him I know that bike!

IMG_7044.JPG

40 minutes ago, max power said:

Buddy of mine sent me a pic of this sweet DR he saw at the pony last week.  

I told him I know that bike!

IMG_7044.JPG

That's me!

:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, nebbish said:
so. sitting in my truck at 1 am moab time (3am eastern) my tent was blown away in a dust storm. everything is covered in red dust. blah.

I managed to get most of the tent piicked up and everything else stuffed into the truck.

I'm fine, just feeling not very happy atm.

Damn Ed...all your gear OK?

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Damn Ed...all your gear OK?

Not completely. couple stakes missing, I think a cable also, and at least one small hole in the mesh of the tent. Might also be a bent support, but I don't think so.

4 minutes ago, nebbish said:

Not completely. couple stakes missing, I think a cable also, and at least one small hole in the mesh of the tent. Might also be a bent support, but I don't think so.

Well that didn't take long!  Mother friggin nature!