Danimal

Danimal's Daily Drivel / Thoughts concerning preparations for a year-long journey.

On 3/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, 2talltim said:

I never understood the premise of leaving for a long trip like that with a machine that is known to and pron to fail. And pay a premium for it to begin with. I'm sure they are very capable machines and they can and will do glorious things comfortably. But reliability is absolute #1 priority on any kind of trip like this. 

I think the GSs have proven pretty reliable, maybe more so than Danimals DR.

However I agree with you and what the DR seems like a much more intelligent choice. On a trip like this it is almost inevitable that something will break, a simpler bike will be more easily fixed, cheaply, quickly and with local resources. If you do need specific parts it helps if it is a common vehicle in the local countries. And riding a bike 150 to 200 lbs less than the behemoths it will save energy when picking it up and make off the beaten path locations more achievable.

Ride your ride Dan. If you need to change your plans, change them. I'm sure you will go with the flow and have a great adventure whatever happens. If everything goes according to plan, is it really an adventure? :D

Edited by CBBaron
  • Beer 1

Welp 

due to changes in Corp policy after a buyout Q4 last year, I was getting screwed literally out of 16 day’s PTO. 

Worked a deal to get 8 back after much complaining, so, starting today I am off every Monday and Friday, but now work until April 16th, rather than April 2nd as my plan all along. 

4 day weekends to get shit done. 3 day workweeks to wrap things up in the Office

Not thrilled  but whatever

A couple extra cerveza bucks. 

Si  senor

Edited by Danimal
  • Beer 1

Heard from Dr. Joe at Jebtech/Yenkro today. Looks like my fairing kit and farkles will be shipping from Australia on Monday. Cannot wait to get the front end of the bike finished up.
Did a few non-esential things today to my DR putzing around
played around with a pair of chopped up Honda Magna passenger pegs converting them to highway pegs
5BC07D39-1399-4FCD-83B6-C16904AC332F_zps
AC04028B-5942-4F48-A7F6-47C2699AEA88_zps

Laid down some brilliantly reflective rim tape. Cool that the Dude sells mixed sets for 17"/21" wheels. Tried to leave a nice gap to trhe edge so the tape doesn't get roached right away from tire irons
800CDEAB-4C93-46E8-B510-055B24C338D3_zps

Even in garage lighting that rear wheel lights up bright yellow
2E1623B6-228A-44C1-90AA-2829675AB41C_zps

Suzuki badge for the Safari to try to make less noticable the old "Cabo Wabo" decal the tank's prior owner had on there (note fade around oval)
F1FE7A6B-6897-4ED0-8A72-8521B7FDE840_zps

I then flipped both lower fork boot holders upside down (as they're no longer holding the lower fork boot....they are now mounted to the Warp 9 brace) and they allowed a nice firm place to bolt the fender down securely. It's now rock solid and over an inch clearance to the tire.
Fender is from a Honda Dominator
098C5D58-55BE-47F1-99A9-A54BFC821D1E_zps

Also mounted a couple dry-erase maps in my 80yr old Father's room, so he can follow my trip and chart where I am. Leaving in June. Getting close!
0FF6EFD0-3525-4745-8756-6B990ED0B046_zps

Ed's bike is almost finished. He's leaving this week for an awesome Rally out West, for a shakedown on his DR.

So last year the top case on China was lost and with it my camping cook kit. Was an awesome kit. Esbit hard anodized windscreen and pot/pan set designed for a Trangia alcohol stove. Using an adaptor I had mounted a small multi-fuel burner that replaced the alcohol burner, and allowed normal gas to be used. Now no need for secondary fuel to be carried. 

After the loss, I replaced it with an Optimus Hiker + stove. 

It also burns gas. Used it all last season. Works great but is heavy as fuck. 

So.....browsing the Net last night found another Esbit cook set on sale 60%off so pulled the trigger. Also ordered the adapter and burner. So now I can recreate the system I lost. Will be less than half the weight of the Hiker + stove. And the way the pots/pans nestle into the windscreen is great. Stays is place. 

anyone need a great little stove for their car or bike camping kit? Good shape Optimus Hiker + with spare parts. New over $100.   I’d take $50. 

Doing this as I’m starting to think more about total weight being hauled and adjusting some things

Edited by Danimal

Today. More work. Bars and control on my bike done including heated grips install and wiring routing. 

Ed’s  ready to start and final assembly. He’s on the road this week. 

582F7D94-F1C6-44B3-A192-DEAEE57F4074.jpeg

B4C83B35-13D0-480A-8682-1E215F04703A.jpeg

to my pals at OR...what a day today. Did work on the bike (day off work) and got the news tonight that my Son accepted BU's offer for Grad school. He'll be moving to Boston is August.

Hard to believe my little boy's gonna be a Doctor! Not so little anymore at 24 yrs old. Hard to explain my feelings. So happy

Can leave now on the trip of a lifetime, and feel free to explore, knowing his decision and future are set for now. 

Thanks Spencer for being such a good Son and not folding during all those difficult years during the family problems. Soo soo proud

Edited by Danimal
  • Upvote 4

thought also maybe one or two of you might get  kick out of this...spent all day Sunday metal detecting with a friend on very old property in Norwalk OH, site of 5 homes on 1850 map, now plowed cornfields (yes, we have permission)

Coolest find Sunday was a very rare 1830 political button. Not much details left, but cool nonetheless, and ID'd online for me as to what is is and the rarity

4E3F99BF-F05B-436E-B510-A4B749DFEBDE_zps

• Like 1

I found a few more pictures online of a DR in Australia sporting the newer Yenkro fairing with the windscreen option. Loving the way it looks. Thought I’d share (of course my shit will be yellow, but my 8 gal Safari Tank will look the same shitty natural color 

9BCC55EB-F1F1-4C3F-B3A5-A382C5AC4AEA.jpeg

E6193BEE-079F-449E-9065-4764EFC96793.jpeg

7A600773-B0D1-4B6A-9732-EA0458F398BC.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Lonestar posted this. Thought I’d share. 

7DB20F79-2F64-4534-BCFA-284D3C25DA15.jpeg

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Lonestar posted this. Thought I’d share. 

7DB20F79-2F64-4534-BCFA-284D3C25DA15.jpeg

Little outdated WRT Venezuela!

nah....it's still cheap as chips there...

But on Wednesday, President Nicolás Maduro announced that they'll soon be paying a lot more. Before the announcement, a liter of high-quality gas in Venezuela cost about 10 centavos or one U.S. penny. Now it costs 6 bolivars or about 60 U.S. cents -- a 6000% price increase.

17 hours ago, Qman said:

Little outdated WRT Venezuela!

I'm still trying to figure out the "straight and flat" ???

15 hours ago, Danimal said:

nah....it's still cheap as chips there...

But on Wednesday, President Nicolás Maduro announced that they'll soon be paying a lot more. Before the announcement, a liter of high-quality gas in Venezuela cost about 10 centavos or one U.S. penny. Now it costs 6 bolivars or about 60 U.S. cents -- a 6000% price increase.

GOOD LUCK with getting any...!

https://panampost.com/orlando-avendano/2017/12/26/venezuela-once-the-worlds-largest-oil-producer-now-rationing-gas-amid-shortage/

It’s a non-issue already. Was denied visa for that country already. Will be skipping that part of the continent. Too bad as I wanted to experience Venezuela’s baseball culture

2 minutes ago, Danimal said:

It’s a non-issue already. Was denied visa for that country already. Will be skipping that part of the continent. Too bad as I wanted to experience Venezuela’s baseball culture

Yeah...you absolutely dont want to go there from everything I've heard.  And you'll likely run into plenty of refugees from Venezuela sucking up rooms at the hostels, campgrounds, etc. in other nearby countries.

“Everything you’ve heard” is usually overblown 

• Beer 1

“Everything you’ve heard” is usually overblown 

It could be, but it also could be true. I'm an armchair international safety expert because I watch VICE once or twice a year and they said Venezuela is a disaster zone right now and they (Venezuela) blame America. 

Although I'm pretty sure it's only a certain small portion of the current ruling party trying to pass blame to the USA because they had the stupid idea to base 100% of their country's economy on oil exports and import all other goods. The people seem to know better. Though knowing better won't stop a starving person from taking all you have to feed themself or their family. I wouldn't be surprised if a civil war erupts there in the next few years, assuming the current regime does not step down or isn't outright assassinated. IMF is predicting 13,000% inflation of their currency this year, which is far far worse than what they have now. 

Still sucks having to avoid a whole country though, I'm sure there's some cool stuff there.

Maybe things will be better there by the time you decide to head north again? :> I know I would spend a lot of my time in Argentina, personally. Maybe you can catch a MotoGP race while you're there, for kicks.  ;) 

Edited by what
  • Beer 1

Plan on seeing some live Dakar racing

• Upvote 2

Plan on seeing some live Dakar racing

Dakar is probably the coolest race in the world. 

1 hour ago, what said:

Dakar is probably the coolest race in the world. 

And a fantastic bar bathroom cologne! 

• Haha 1

Got a some stuff done today at Nebbish's

Was able to take a M10x1.5 tap and rethread the post mount of my Skidplate/Engine guards, and that allowed me to screw on some weird old OEM passenger pegs from Japan that I found online. A bit of work and viola...looks like it'll work very nicely for highway pegs and looks fine IMO

folded

FB4EEFEC-A844-49F9-9ED8-D61C9DA47862_zps

extended

BA137524-F37D-4E21-8CC5-B9DE9E494A86_zps

Ed wrapped up the final stuff and got his bike out for a quick spin...and all seemed well

His dash/switch area

50ED11B2-64E1-4979-A943-1D1A7A123EB8_zps

Getting his windscreen mounted

B504AE87-3612-497C-9D14-494CD3193DE8_zps

and...on the road

966DAF4C-AA8C-4E5F-BC66-40FAD686714E_zps

Edited by Danimal
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

Those highway bars are legit.