Vulture's Knob race - 8/19/17

redkow97

Just like the last one - $15, show up and register day of.

I will be racing beginner under 40.  Last time I raced it was just over a 6 mile lap, and then the one I missed was two laps, but a 3.x mile lap.

(sport class does twice as many laps, and expert does three times as many laps)

My goal is to win the beginner class, and then have enough gas left to do a second lap for fun.  That's assuming i have time.  Last race, I was going to a 7:05 Tribe game and had to leave right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to see some of you out this Saturday.  I am pumped.  Beginner distance is usually around 6-7 miles, sport is 12-14, and expert is 18-20.

I put in 18 miles of singletrack yesterday, trying to practice pacing myself.  I rode to the trail, so I was pretty warmed up before I started my first lap, but my laps were 37 mins, 41 mins (with a stop at the bathroom), and 34 mins, which is a PR on that loop.  I set multiple PRs on that last lap, which is highly encouraging, because that means both my fitness and my ability to maintain control of the bike while tired have improved :D 

Goal for Saturday is to win the beginner class, and then complete a second lap to dip my toe in the water for sport class distances, and see if I need to register there next round. 

@Isaac's Papa @jhawk @CBBaron

Anyone else?  The women's class was thin at the second round. Lyns could probably do pretty well.  Probably better than many of the dudes.

And don't try to give me any of this, "I just ride for fun" garbage... "i'm not in racing shape."  You know who else isn't?  75% of the beginners.  That's why they're beginners. 

Edited by redkow97

I need coaches.  Let me know what they say.

Remind me what team she's on, and what discipline she's focusing on racing.  My buddy Matt could probably go out and win the expert class, but I have barely seen him on a mountain bike at all this summer.  He's been focusing on track riding, and then I am sure he'll throw himself straight into cyclocross as soon as September hits.  He's just decided not to care about racing MTB :(

4th place in sport. There were zero beginners registered when I went to the table, so I did sport class instead. 

Fourth of four in my age group. I did beat a couple of guys over 40, and the lone woman racing 2 laps. 

I actually went slower this race than last race (by a minute or so), but I was pacing for a second lap.

could have gone much faster my first lap, but damp roots and lack of warmup just had me feeling "blah" the first couple of miles. 

With pacing being less of an issue on lap 2, I cleaned all of the climbs I hiked on lap 1.  The only place I dabbed was on the narrow hubcap trees, when my tire spun on their roots.

great trail. Probably my favorite thus far. 

• Beer 3

I may have injured myself a bit...  I had some soreness in my left ankle PRIOR to racing.  This has happened to me before, usually from something stupid, like sitting "indian style" and bending my ankle a little weird.  Usually goes away in 24 hours, so I raced on it figuring it was nothing.

I think I aggravated it a little struggling to clip-out in a panic situation.  Feels like (what the internet is telling me is) a high ankle sprain.  May have stretched the tendon that runs on the inside of my left ankle, behind the little "ball" bone, and then up the interior of my calf muscle. 

I can walk well enough, but not without some pain.  Just been icing and hoping it feels better soon. Hard to rest it and still be an effective parent/employee... Trial this week will keep me off the trails until the weekend anyway.  fingers crossed it feels good by then.

Ankle is still sore, but feeling much better.  It looks like I've dodged disaster, and work (which has been crazy this week) has kept me from riding.  I'm probably lucky that the two events coincided.

Final race is 9/16/17!!!  I will be there, trying to lose by less in Sport class!