Danimal

Beautiful weekends wanderings

Rode a lot this past weekend. Took a few pics.

Rode sections of the TOT but to be honest, intentionally tried to get lost a few times, and found some great dirt that isn't part of any route I know. 

Stayed at bikeridermark's place in Kingston Sat night. Only issue is a small leak that developed in my air mattress. Will get that taken care of some night this week. Had a great ribeye and fresh green beans and corn from an Amish roadside seller. Guy had only veggies. I told him "man if you only had a steak I'd be set". Amish dude asks "what kind of steak do you like" Told him a nice marbled bone-in Ribeye. Jeddadiah leaves for a minute and returns with the nicest looking steak I've seen in a while. Even double bagged it with some ice for me. $5.00 for the steak

A few pics (didn't take too many)

Slept Friday night in the woods behind a gas well access road. When I woke up I saw a tremendous amount of ripe berries surrounding me and the bike. Was a good breakfast treat with the coffee

20A2BA02-BD77-4140-852A-A4DBC864B77F_zps

Bike in stealth spot

9A48531F-508A-4E49-BE9D-4BFAE93757D9_zps

F6DE6857-BB55-4626-B272-0B57301ED570_zps

one of many covered bridges I traversed

BAE035B4-100C-4895-8E9D-5C5CCCD66B99_zps

stopped here to brew coffee early Saturday after being on the road an hour or so

13A19A40-C115-4E91-A56F-EFBD6BF41BB7_zps

Another idylic S Ohio view

25636B77-6039-400F-AE7A-AC40E16CD8F6_zps

Ran into a roadblock I couldn't move on Brinkhaven Rd near the closed bridge

607D7939-4C62-452D-98D5-80A65415FE45_zps

see you on the trail!

2B99669D-8D49-4056-B519-5D4F1333FFFD_zps

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

not so much a ride report Nick. I didn't have a route to follow. It was wide open. Think I did 5 tanks total. 

I did try to focus on several key things:

• Follow roads that were alongside streams/rivers
  • Follow roads that were tree-lined
  • Follow roads that were topographically interesting (new Zumo 660 has topo features when zoomed out, so could plan for tops of ridge lines, etc)

Was hoping to see some meteors Sat night, but only saw a few streaks. Milky Way was SO strong it washed out some fainter stars! Saw quite a few sats fly by too,

Edited by Danimal

Man seeing these posts makes me start to rethink my choice in bikes. Love the fun of the XSR but would be awesome to be able to hit any road or trail I see fit.

after many many years of flying around on pavement "Sport touring" , I have finally been able to set aside the need for speed.

Riding a 250 helps in that regard.

I do find myself at times on a dirt road in 3rd gear, wound way up, standing on the pegs, getting the rear end loose in turns and practicing my drifting/sliding techniques. It's fun as hell, and could be dangerous, but still pales in comparison to what could happen with even the slightest unexpected variable when riding pavement at 10-20-30 over.

And even better?....NEVER run into Pirates on these roads. Never.

• Upvote 2

I used to love to ride the trails at Wayne on weekends with my honda 450x. Part of me wonders if I was to trade to a 400-650 sized dual sport if I would miss the XSR. I mean I avoid highways like the plague and having two bikes really is not in the cards right now. 

You might not call it a ride report,but I really enjoyed it!Roads,scenery and unusual photos and subject matter...that is a good ride report.In the the same vain as the good ride reports by Tyler on the FJR Forum,Ninjadoc here and the mother of all ride reports..."Quit our jobs,sold the house,going riding",by lightcycle on adventure riders.

1 hour ago, Xsr900Rider said:

I used to love to ride the trails at Wayne on weekends with my honda 450x. Part of me wonders if I was to trade to a 400-650 sized dual sport if I would miss the XSR. I mean I avoid highways like the plague and having two bikes really is not in the cards right now. 

Riding at Wayne has it's own perils, and I doubt I'll do much more of that to be honest (Side by Sides, quads, drunks lol)

Just spent some more $$ on the DR to get it going well (TM40 Pumper carb , jetting kit, airbox kit w/ KN filter) and will be starting to travel a bit on it soon.

Gonna leave suspension on it stock for the Fall (no leaks) but plan on throwing a couple thou at that aspect too (Cogent shock and fork kit)

Just got a line on ADV to some Dirt Bags racks for the DR that will hold my Wolfman luggage well. The top plate and box on Merry will transfer right over to the DR's rear rack.

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Glad you had a good weekend brother. 

Any weekend I find myself in my tent waking up under Mark's giant maple tree is a good one.

This time I set up on the west side of the tree. Managed to avoid the morning sun completely, and slept in a bit.

Well done Dan, The bike looks great.

FYI: Tpoppa & Romer are coming along fine in the dirt.

7 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

Well done Dan, The bike looks great.

FYI: Tpoppa & Romer are coming along fine in the dirt.

Bike's running great too B.

Gonna make the decision that much harder.

Sounds awesome!  I havent fired up the WR since the Colorado trip.  Gonna have to get it back in running order!   I still think there is something serious going wrong with the engine!:wtf: