WANTED: Left grip for 2012 Ninja 650

hiro

I'm just wondering if anyone has a decent left Kawasaki grip that they would take a couple dollars for. I'm planning to switch handlebars and want to be able to swap them back if needed without messing with the grip. (I'm planning to get Bikemaster Superbike bars, or maybe Euro bars.) Looks like this:

c42deba028d830a92f1486f6f5c43091.jpg

Edited by hiro

Um, there are a bazillion after market grips out there than can be had on the cheap that are so much better than stock grips. There is rubber, foam, gel, ect ect.  And hundreds of brands, I prefer spider grips but everyone is different. I have a set of grey and black spider grips I'd give you but it would cost me about the same to ship them to you than it would for you just to get a new set online. :dunno: 

Right. The Spider Peak grips look nice. Aftermarket grips are really that much better?

I just figured it's easier to just add one matching grip than to replace both, and maybe have to swap one again later if I want to put the original bars back on. (I don't have an air compressor at home, which would probably make the job pretty clean and quick. I have canned air tho. heh)

here we go again

grips are not even worth putting thought into. does it have a good rating on whatever website you're going to order from? yes? ok order it up. almost guaranteed it's 7/8" size, essentially 1 size fits all except for harley/baggers. 

use alcohol to put the grips on, it evaporates in short order. 

10 minutes ago, what said:

here we go again

use alcohol to put the grips on, it evaporates in short order. 

Alcohol sounds good.

But, no, here we don't go again. I asked for one simple thing for a reason. It's other people who want to change what I'm doing. I was trying to keep it simple and cheap. (If I could get a single lightly used grip for $4-5, I would do that.) But if I buy new grips, I might get those Spider Peaks. I was spying Progrip 719's before that. I mean, I could keep going and get shorty levers, but I need to draw the line somewhere. The line /was/ just the bars. The extra grip was just for convenience.

4 minutes ago, hiro said:

If I could get a single lightly used grip for $4-5, 

TableFlip.thumb.jpg.22a7016dba0c488c7502c9cdba59615f.jpg

Why on earth would you want to try to install a used grip that you paid $5 for? You can buy a factory new one for $10. Or just simply walk into any of your local dealers and pick up a set of off the shelf aftermarket grips for less than $20 and be happy. 

• Haha 1

It sounds like you're trying to save money on something inexpensive.  If you were looking for something pricier, then it makes sense, but trying to save $5 when you'd really be spending $10 seems silly.  But that's just my opinion.

Grips aren't THAT difficult to install - I mean they're a giant pain in the ass - I changed the bars on my 2011 650R myself & I didn't really know what I was doing at all.  

You want one left grip because you think you'll change out the bars?  How often are you thinking you'll swap the bars?  I got the lower bars for my 650 because I felt like I was being blown all over when riding on the highway.  And what's funny is that now I ride a bike with no wind protection at all.  lol  

Stop overthinking your purchase and just get a new set of aftermarket grips...  then you could spend less time debating it here with these savages and more time riding your bike.  ;) :D :dunno:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

Why on earth would you want to try to install a used grip that you paid $5 for? You can buy a factory new one for $10. Or just simply walk into any of your local dealers and pick up a set of off the shelf aftermarket grips for less than $20 and be happy. 

I'd go for an aftermarket set before spending $10 on a single stock grip. I might just do that. I could get Spider Peaks for about $15.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Here are the freebies I'd let you have but it cost you just as much in gas to come get them as it would just to buy a new set at a local shop.

If you were SE instead of NE it might be worth the trip. Wait. Did you not like them? That's the exact style I was looking at. Eh, my grips are going to be 6 years old soon anyway. New ones wouldn't hurt. And they do feel a little skinny.

13 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

To safety wire, or to not safety wire? That is the real question.

I just discovered the concept of safety wire for grips. That's how it happens for me. Start with one small task and learn a bunch of related things that I many never need to know. heh

1 hour ago, tall_tracy said:

It sounds like you're trying to save money on something inexpensive.  If you were looking for something pricier, then it makes sense, but trying to save $5 when you'd really be spending $10 seems silly.  But that's just my opinion.

Grips aren't THAT difficult to install - I mean they're a giant pain in the ass - I changed the bars on my 2011 650R myself & I didn't really know what I was doing at all.  

You want one left grip because you think you'll change out the bars?  How often are you thinking you'll swap the bars?  I got the lower bars for my 650 because I felt like I was being blown all over when riding on the highway.  And what's funny is that now I ride a bike with no wind protection at all.  lol  

Stop overthinking your purchase and just get a new set of aftermarket grips...  then you could spend less time debating it here with these savages and more time riding your bike.  ;) :D :dunno:

You right, and always one or two steps ahead. The point about the "savages" is pretty accurate. haha I try to get something positive and useful out of it tho. heh

I guess I wasn't trying to save money so much as to save labor. Like, if a buyer wants the stock bars, or if I don't like the new bars, I could quickly swap the original bars back in without messing with grips.

The wind blast doesn't bother me so much. I took my windscreen off and the ride is quieter when I'm bolt upright. I don't like the feel of it though. Feels wrong in turns and I get pulled back if I accelerate hard, so lower bars should be nice.

Why type of bars did you get?

45 minutes ago, hiro said:

I heard something about hair spray coming loose at higher temperatures. Not sure. If it melts it could act as a lubricant, I guess.

I was putting hair spray on grips while you were still swimming around in your dads gonads. Never had one come loose.

2 hours ago, hiro said:

If you were SE instead of NE it might be worth the trip. Wait. Did you not like them? That's the exact style I was looking at. Eh, my grips are going to be 6 years old soon anyway. New ones wouldn't hurt. And they do feel a little skinny.

They are my favorites had the same style on 3 different bikes. I just went with the heated oxford grips. Kept these around in case the Oxford's ever crapped out.

4 hours ago, hiro said:

You right, and always one or two steps ahead. The point about the "savages" is pretty accurate. haha I try to get something positive and useful out of it tho. heh

I guess I wasn't trying to save money so much as to save labor. Like, if a buyer wants the stock bars, or if I don't like the new bars, I could quickly swap the original bars back in without messing with grips.

The wind blast doesn't bother me so much. I took my windscreen off and the ride is quieter when I'm bolt upright. I don't like the feel of it though. Feels wrong in turns and I get pulled back if I accelerate hard, so lower bars should be nice.

Why type of bars did you get?

I think they were the sport bars from ninja650shop.com.  They were lower than the stock bars but not as low as clip ons.  I liked them better than the stock ones.

35 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

I think they were the sport bars from ninja650shop.com.  They were lower than the stock bars but not as low as clip ons.  I liked them better than the stock ones.

Oh, those. They look a lot lower and more forward than superbike bars. My bars should be a more subtle change. Looks like you took it to the next level with the R6.