2017 Fall Gap Trip 10/19-10/22(meet up evening of 10/18)

2talltim

Vacation approved...which gives me about a 51% chance of actually getting the time off.  I'll be in Savannah for training until Tuesday the 17th, so I'll probably just head toward Maggie Valley and meet you all there Thursday. 

• Like 1
  • Beer 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking what I see so far, but Sunday is going to be a tough day on the sumo.

I have over 200 miles of slab from Ripley to get home :cry:

But I don't want to skip the curves to get there because the last thing I want is more slab.

I better make sure to pack the Advil and find plenty of caffeine. :D

I just got back from a car trip down there...it's already unseasonably cold down there as it's been here so I expect the leaves will begin changing sooner than normal. Bring your cold weather gear. On the higher elevation parts of the BRP and Cherohala, temps were in the upper 40's near midday.:shiver:

11 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I just got back from a car trip down there...it's already unseasonably cold down there as it's been here so I expect the leaves will begin changing sooner than normal. Bring your cold weather gear. On the higher elevation parts of the BRP and Cherohala, temps were in the upper 40's near midday.:shiver:

A report I read said peak leaf foliage was supposed to be October 1st in the Smoky Mountains, which is early.

Been working 60 hour weeks the last 2 weeks and I'm out of town all this week end. So I'm hoping to get the routes finalized and converted sometime next week. IP took the reigns on day one just need to tweak it for the ITN conversion.

Sorry you can't make it Dave maybe next time.

• Like 1

2TT: Even though I was only a maybe for this trip, I'm gonna officially remove myself from the list.  Just got back from our LocalRiders fall trip to Waynesville/BRMC and rode over 1600 miles of much the same route.  Didn't get to the good stuff in GA--have to save that for next year--but got to run the Cherhola, BRP, 215, 276, 28, 80, 16, blahblahblah.  Should be a great time to be down there if you can minimize your time stuck behind the leaf peepers in their RVs plunking along at 10 under the posted speed.  Have fun and stay safe!

Okay participant list is updated and I know I've been saying for weeks I'll get the maps finalized but I just keep putting it off. I'm on vacation next week to hang out with my wife after her surgery, so I'll have time to get that done finally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Okay participant list is updated and I know I've been saying for weeks I'll get the maps finalized but I just keep putting it off. I'm on vacation next week to hang out with my wife after her surgery, so I'll have time to get that done finally.

Noone else wants to do this? This was a fun trip with lots of great roads and good company last year. I expect more of the same this year.

I'm getting a little worried I'm going to be holding up this trip. The other riders on the trip are big mileage riders with high speed, long range machines. I'm on basically a dirt bike. :D

2 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Noone else wants to do this? This was a fun trip with lots of great roads and good company last year. I expect more of the same this year.

I'm getting a little worried I'm going to be holding up this trip. The other riders on the trip are big mileage riders with high speed, long range machines. I'm on basically a dirt bike. :D

You held your own on the last Fall Gap trip, no worries there. Someday you'll see the light and drink Sport Touring kool-aid :lol:

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

You held your own on the last Fall Gap trip, no worries there. Someday you'll see the light and drink Sport Touring kool-aid :lol:

But last year we had a StreetTriple with his luggage in a back pack and a couple 2 up on a Ninja 650. There were others who were looking for a rest break or gas every couple hours. You guys all have done IronButts for fun :D

One of these years I get a more appropriate bike, though probably something in the adventure category like a Vstrom or African Twin. I think that will have to be a +1 though, I'm enjoying throwing around the light bike too much. The Kart track was nearly as much fun as the Dragon with much less danger. :D

13 minutes ago, PhilD'oh! said:

Don't worry about holding me up, I'm feeling older and slower every year. 

It's not the good roads I'm worried about, it's the highway and gas stops. Your rig goes days between stops, I can't usually ride 2 hours without gas :D

Ofcourse I think your "spare" tank could fill my tank up twice. :lol:

1 minute ago, CBBaron said:

It's not the good roads I'm worried about, it's the highway and gas stops. Your rig goes days between stops, I can't usually ride 2 hours without gas :D

Ofcourse I think your "spare" tank could fill my tank up twice. :lol:

On rides like this, that's what it's for, spare gas in case somebody miscalculated.  I even carry a specially made transfer hose that hooks into a quick connect behind the side panel to pump gas from that tank to another container.  No worries.  A few years ago when I did the Sorebuttapolooza ride, I thought it'd be aggravating to stop every 100 miles, as the route was planned.  The truth is, it was refreshing and a relaxing change.  I'm completely good with any kind of trip, so long as I'm on two (or three ) wheels and out of NW Ohio. 

• Beer 2