2017 Fall Gap Trip 10/19-10/22(meet up evening of 10/18)

2talltim

11 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

The DRZ is a little lite on the electric power for much heated gear. Handlebar muffs are ugly as sin but work similar wonders for my hands. I have heated gloves but the wires are a pain. Might have to consider a vest but that would be at the limit for the stator.

Do you take long (relative and subjective term) trips on your SM?  

I hate to speak too soon, but things are lining up for this trip to work for me.  I have a bike trip the 5-9th, then roll into a training event in GA the 12-16.  The 11th being a travel day, so I only have to add the 10th to my vacation, then I don't even have to come home.  The 17th also being a travel day, I'll just add 18-20.   By adding 4 days of vacation, I'll basically be 2 1/2 weeks on the bike. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CBBaron said:

I did the Fall Gap Trip last year! :D

Like a boss. I will never forget looking back and seeing that leg stick out on the inside of a twistie.

Edited by Tonik

Preliminary routes. 

Wednesday night everyone meet at a predetermined hotel near Jackson, Oh looking at the Days Inn right now.

Day 1 route to Maggie Valley plenty of hotel options trout dinner at Carvers  https://goo.gl/maps/Nq7kdCAkoYC2

Day 2, 28, Dragon, Skyway, Wolfpen, Warwoman to Franklin dinner a Cafe Rel  https://goo.gl/maps/JzCosBm7Fxr

Day 3 BRP, Mt Mitchel, Diamondback, Snake, Backbone rock to Marion https://goo.gl/maps/xcWaeB6u9vs

Day 4 Back of Dragon, 16, New River bridge, part ways in Silverton(I77&33) https://goo.gl/maps/JfwDAJMQuE52

If anyone needs to get home earlier they can shoot up 77 at Beckley. 

Like I said these are preliminary they need tweaked and hotels are still to be determined. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unless you're dead set on running the BRP for that many miles on Day 3 (not my idea of fun, given that it'll be populated with leaf peepers and clotted with RVs) I'd suggest taking 281/Canada Rd out of Tuckaseegee all the way to Lake Toxaway, then 64 over to 215 up to the BRP.  Gets you off the crowded and boring sections of 107 and 74.  Little diner at the corner of 107/281 to catch a lunch.

38 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Preliminary routes. 

Wednesday night everyone meet at a predetermined hotel near Jackson, Oh looking at the Days Inn right now.

Day 1 route to Maggie Valley plenty of hotel options trout dinner at Carvers  https://goo.gl/maps/Nq7kdCAkoYC2

Day 2, 28, Dragon, Skyway, Wolfpen, Warwoman to Franklin dinner a Cafe Rel  https://goo.gl/maps/JzCosBm7Fxr

Day 3 BRP, Mt Mitchel, Diamondback, Snake, Backbone rock to Marion https://goo.gl/maps/xcWaeB6u9vs

Day 4 Back of Dragon, 16, New River bridge, part ways in Silverton(I77&33) https://goo.gl/maps/JfwDAJMQuE52

If anyone needs to get home earlier they can shoot up 77 at Beckley. 

Like I said these are preliminary they need tweaked and hotels are still to be determined. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. 

I have 3 questions for each nights accomodations, cause I know @Connie14 wants to know.

1. Where's the closest liquor store?

2. What time is breakfast?

3. What time does the pool close?

:lol:

Edited by JustinNck1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Unless you're dead set on running the BRP for that many miles on Day 3 (not my idea of fun, given that it'll be populated with leaf peepers and clotted with RVs) I'd suggest taking 281/Canada Rd out of Tuckaseegee all the way to Lake Toxaway, then 64 over to 215 up to the BRP.  Gets you off the crowded and boring sections of 107 and 74.  Little diner at the corner of 107/281 to catch a lunch.

I'll check it out. But leaf watching was kind of the idea of taking BRP myslef. But might cut some of it out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

About an hour longer.

https://goo.gl/maps/y4bNRo9LFX72

Had a similar route like that once but wanted to hit the highest point of brp sign, now that i looking at it we can do this route and do a down and back to that point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

About an hour longer.

https://goo.gl/maps/y4bNRo9LFX72

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Had a similar route like that once but wanted to hit the highest point of brp sign, now that i looking at it we can do this route and do a down and back to that point. 

Wasn't suggesting that you do the entire length of 215 to Waynesville, although the north side is pretty where it wanders along Lake Logan.  You can connect to the BRP at the top of 215 and just head east from there.  Be about the same time as the original route.  The other little side trip you can do is drop down 151 from the BRP just east of the 276 junction, run it to the bottom and then head right back up.  Tricky little section know as Devil's Drop (I think).  Guy rode it with our group a few years ago and boiled the rear brake on his Triumph Rocket 3 on the way down.

1 minute ago, Bubba said:

Wasn't suggesting that you do the entire length of 215 to Waynesville, although the north side is pretty where it wanders along Lake Logan.  You can connect to the BRP at the top of 215 and just head east from there.  Be about the same time as the original route.  The other little side trip you can do is drop down 151 from the BRP just east of the 276 junction, run it to the bottom and then head right back up.  Tricky little section know as Devil's Drop (I think).  Guy rode it with our group a few years ago and boiled the rear brake on his Triumph Rocket 3 on the way down.

I've taken all these routes before just trying to remember which ones are which. yea I'm for sure going to tweak this part of the trip when I make up my mind.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bubba said:

4 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I've taken all these routes before just trying to remember which ones are which. yea I'm for sure going to tweak this part of the trip when I make up my mind.  

Just looked it up and yea 151 or devils drop is the Pisgah Hwy, I was just on that last month. It was pretty rough and narrow. It was okay up hill but down hill was a nightmare as rough as it was with all the loose gravel and having to ride your brakes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Just looked it up and yea 151 or devils drop is the Pisgah Hwy, I was just on that last month. It was pretty rough and narrow. It was okay up hill but down hill was a nightmare as rough as it was with all the loose gravel and having to ride your brakes. 

That sounds like fun to me. But then again my bike is less than half the weight of your :D

Preliminary hotels...

Wednesday, every one meet at the Super 8 in Gallipolis, OH Rates should be $70 single bed $75 for double bed that's with tax. 

Thursday, Quality Inn and Suites in Maggie Valley, NC newly renovated hotel (Justin says it's nice) Rates $98 single bed, $114 double bed with tax. 

Friday,  Franklin, NC we have two options one is the Rodeway Inn for $66 single $77 double OR Microtel $113 single $118 double with tax, obviously the rodeway isnt going to be as nice but it still has pretty decent reviews.

Saturday, Super 8 Abingdon, Va singles and doubles $75 with tax

Look these up and give me your input on these or throw out some others if you want me to look into them. Trying to keep things cheap yet still nice and that's hard that time of year down there. Probably decide tomorrow night. I have discount codes for Wyndham Hotels  1000008722 and Choice Hotels and its 00209510

Edited by 2talltim
  • Like 1

Got a little busy last night and today, last call to put in comments about hotels before I decide. Already had one person say the Super 8 in Abingdon wasn't the greatest but it was the cheapest that wasn't a total dump, but i'll look into it.  Will make a decision maybe tomorrow night and book mine and justin's rooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Got a little busy last night and today, last call to put in comments about hotels before I decide. Already had one person say the Super 8 in Abingdon wasn't the greatest but it was the cheapest that wasn't a total dump, but i'll look into it.  Will make a decision maybe tomorrow night and book mine and justin's rooms.

Tim:  I've led a group of between 5 and 10 folks from LocalRiders from Cinti to Abingdon on our first day's ride to the BRMC for the last three years.  Always stayed at the Super 8 there (Exit 17 off I-81) and had zero problems.  If you're looking for hot tubs, swimming pools, workout rooms, and a 4-course breakfast, fuggedaboudit.  But it's always been cheap, clean, no bed bugs, staff was efficient and personal at check-in/-out, and there's a free continental breakfast available.  Easy access to gas/fast food/highway, no parking lot issues with security, and a big box store (Food City) within walking distance to pick up beer/wine/snacks.  Unless things have changed dramatically since last September, I see no issue with booking there.

Edited by Bubba
  • Beer 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bubba said:

Tim:  I've led a group of between 5 and 10 folks from LocalRiders from Cinti to Abingdon on our first day's ride to the BRMC for the last three years.  Always stayed at the Super 8 there (Exit 17 off I-81) and had zero problems.  If you're looking for hot tubs, swimming pools, workout rooms, and a 4-course breakfast, fuggedaboudit.  But it's always been cheap, clean, no bed bugs, staff was efficient and personal at check-in/-out, and there's a free continental breakfast available.  Easy access to gas/food/highway, no parking lot issues with security, and a big box store (Food City) within walking distance to pick up beer/wine/snacks.  Unless things have changed dramatically since last September, I see no issue with booking there.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Thanks for the info.

NP.  I have heard some of the hard-core internet denizens complain about slow network.  I'm an old guy who doesn't have a smartphone or tablet.  I want a clean comfy bed to lie down in after a 12 hour riding day.  If you're traveling with folks that "need" that kind of connectivity, maybe look elsewhere....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bubba said:

NP.  I have heard some of the hard-core internet denizens complain about slow network.  I'm an old guy who doesn't have a smartphone or tablet.  I want a clean comfy bed to lie down in after a 12 hour riding day.  If you're traveling with folks that "need" that kind of connectivity, maybe look elsewhere....

Yup, clean and dry and maybe something for breakfast is good for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'll put in for this at work. Shouldn't be an issue. I'll reserve my rooms once I know for certain I can take the time. I will pass on a bunkmate. Especially Grandpa Fartybutt. 

You do realize this is a motorcycle trip, not a bicycle tour :D

Plan to do this trip. I'm looking for someone to share the rooms with. I'm cheap that way :)

4 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I snore and smoke a LOT of grass. If you're cool with that, and you don't try to do me in the butt while I sleep.. I can make an exception. 

I don't do well with smoke, of any variety.

Let me update, looking for someone to share cost on NON-SMOKING rooms. :D

Hotel have been decided and since none had anything to input i'll stick with what I had previously decided. And have also opted for the higher priced option in Franklin(i had my reasons). These can be changed but they are what I've decided right now. I you don't like these places you obviously can stay where ever you want. I'll post these on the first post too as well as the routes once they are finalized. 

10/18 Wednesday night meet up hotel. Super 8 Gallipoils, Oh. Rates $70 single bed $75 for double bed that's with tax with w/Corporate Code: 1000008722

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/super-8/gallipolis-ohio/super-8-gallipolis-pt-pleasant-area/overview#

10/19 Thursday night Quality Inn and Suites Maggie Valley, NC  Rates $98 single bed, $114 double bed with tax. w/Coperate ID Code: 00209510 (used it many times)

https://www.choicehotels.com/north-carolina/maggie-valley/quality-inn-hotels/nc591

10/20 Friday night Microtel Inn Franklin, NC. Rates $113 single $118 double with tax. w/Corporate Code: 1000008722

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/microtel/franklin-north-carolina/microtel-inn-franklin/overview#

10/21 Saturday night Super 8 Abingdon, Va.   Rate singles and doubles $75 with tax. w/Corporate Code: 1000008722

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/super-8/abingdon-virginia/super-8-abingdon-va/overview

• Like 1