16 Year Old from NE Ohio!

Nicos

Hello! I'm 16 years old from North-East Ohio, pretty close to Cleveland. I've been riding dirt bikes/quads since I was 5-6, and I just recently got my first sport bike (2001 ZX6R) back in May. I've been riding it daily ever since and love it. 

Hopefully my age doesn't make anyone think anything of me - I know what I'm doing and believe I'm pretty mature...

Thanks for reading my introduction, ride on :bicycle:

Welcome little brother. Ride a lot put many miles, once you have around 2-3K miles of seo twisty under your belt join up some group rides. If you don't have at least that much twisty exp, and If you jump into one of the group rides posted in this forum as medium to med fast to fast to machretard pacing you will crash.  Almost all if not the majority of active members here are kinda mature grumpy old school folks. Short version is, bloody aging, highway hating, mile munching, twisty ripping, atgatting, constant hazing, sport touring, speed breaking, boring bunch of nature boys .... Wooooooooooooooooo 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

welcome.  and be careful.

I thought I was pretty mature at 22 and still did some dumb shit on a 50hp bike...  You're a bit younger with almost double the horsepower.  Shit, I was doing pretty dumb shit on a 6hp bike at 33 years old!

Wear full gear and take video.  And don't forget to have fun.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Welcome little brother. Ride a lot put many miles, once you have around 2-3K miles of seo twisty under your belt join up some group rides. If you don't have at least that much twisty exp, and If you jump into one of the group rides posted in this forum as medium to med fast to fast to machretard pacing you will crash.  Almost all if not the majority of active members here are kinda mature grumpy old school folks. Short version is, bloody aging, highway hating, mile munching, twisty ripping, atgatting, constant hazing, sport touring, speed breaking, boring bunch of nature boys .... Wooooooooooooooooo 

Thanks for the tips. I've already put on around 3,000 miles on my bike believe it or not...I can't get off the damn thing. I enjoy it way too much. It just sucks, I ride alone so I get a bit nervous going on long trips to places I've never been before. I've never even driven a car so I really don't know where I'm going and stuff too far out of my city. 

Appreciate the welcome - I'll be sure to get a ton more experience under my belt before attempting any group rides! 

4 hours ago, redkow97 said:

welcome.  and be careful.

I thought I was pretty mature at 22 and still did some dumb shit on a 50hp bike...  You're a bit younger with almost double the horsepower.  Shit, I was doing pretty dumb shit on a 6hp bike at 33 years old!

Wear full gear and take video.  And don't forget to have fun.

Good advice. Yeah, I'm already getting a bit too comfortable...I raced a Porsche 911 the other day...LOL. I do wear full gear, my Mom made sure I spent $1,000~ on gear and makes me wear it all if I want to ride! Thanks for the welcome! 

1 hour ago, jschaf said:

Welcome to the forum.  Sometimes it's a little like the Roman Forum with the lions & Christians but it's a good time. Hope you can get out for some rides with us.

I hope so too! Mainly came here to meet some people to get out with, might be a challenge considering my age but we'll see. 

Appreciate your welcome along with everyone else's a ton, thanks everyone! Hope to see some of you out riding soon. If you ever see a lil kid on some old ass somewhat beat ZX6R say what's up, LOL. Chances are it's me. 

Welcome to the forums.  My only tip is to stay humble on the bike.  Trust me, probably contrary to your own belief, you don't know everything about riding motorcycles, so always be willing to learn and improve while riding.  Don't get cocky because the moment you think you are in full control is the moment you find yourself on your ass wondering what the hell just happened. 

Stay safe and wear gear.  Maybe we can get together some time and ride. 

• Beer 1

Ride down to circleville raceway park (CRP) for one of the OMRL events.  Join their FB page and make arrangements to bum some shade and water (offer a few bucks - it will be probably be refused, but the offer will be appreciated).  Hell, if you can get there early enough and talk to Biggie, I believe they pay $50 to corner-work, and they'll provide waters.

If you've already got full gear, you could rent a bike from Kent or Russ and really learn a TON about riding in a short time, in an environment where crashing has pretty low consequences.  Learning how capable a 6hp bike can be might save you thousands when you no longer feel the need to upgrade from your ZX6.

10 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

Welcome to the forums.  My only tip is to stay humble on the bike.  Trust me, probably contrary to your own belief, you don't know everything about riding motorcycles, so always be willing to learn and improve while riding.  Don't get cocky because the moment you think you are in full control is the moment you find yourself on your ass wondering what the hell just happened. 

Stay safe and wear gear.  Maybe we can get together some time and ride. 

From the Humblest.

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2017 at 7:39 PM, Nicos said:

Good advice. Yeah, I'm already getting a bit too comfortable...I raced a Porsche 911 the other day...LOL. I do wear full gear, my Mom made sure I spent $1,000~ on gear and makes me wear it all if I want to ride! Thanks for the welcome! 

Welcome! Glad to hear about the gear. If you haven't already, take the MSF course.  My kids will both have mopeds as soon as they turn 14 and street bikes at 16 so no judgement here. Although I doubt I will let them ride without me for a long while. :) Stay safe. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mary#17 said:

Welcome! Glad to hear about the gear. If you haven't already, take the MSF course.  My kids will both have mopeds as soon as they turn 14 and street bikes at 16 so no judgement here. Although I doubt I will let them ride without me for a long while. :) Stay safe. 

My daughter just got her moped temps this past Saturday. She has rode dirt most of her life, but I was still very nervous when she pulled away for her first solo ride. We put on about 40 miles between Saturday and this morning... I was like a nervous nelly as she rode away for band practice this morning.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, whaler said:

My daughter just got her moped temps this past Saturday. She has rode dirt most of her life, but I was still very nervous when she pulled away for her first solo ride. We put on about 40 miles between Saturday and this morning... I was like a nervous nelly as she rode away for band practice this morning.

I still remember riding my moped when I was 14 and can't believe my parents let me do it!  I will definitely be riding with them for quite a while before they have freedom to go by themselves like I did.  I feel your pain!

• Upvote 1