Navigation options

Xsr900Rider

So I was sitting here mapping some ride routes and got me wondering what you guys use for your route creation and navigation. I tried google map routes but I never got the hang of it and seemed to always mess with my pre-defined routes. I found this app called Scenic and it is better but does sometime do some squirely shit like take you down a left turn only to do a u-turn and come back to the intersection and make a left when you could just go straight to begin with. But overall it seems to work well and lets you pick no highways and curviest route. (And usually those odd directions take me down curvy roads so not a big deal) The app is free but uses credits to download offline maps and to use premium features. Once credits are out it is $10 a year or $50 for life. Neighbor keeps telling me I need to buy a Garmin but I've never used one of the motorcycle ones so not sure if it is worth the cost over a phone app. Here is one of the routes in case anyone wants to see what it looks like.

IMG_1047.PNG

Ride with GPS

I was using it to find and create gravel bicycle routes and realized it is a pretty easy tool for creating motorcycle routes also. Has options to view terrain and satellite and exports to GPX for your garmin GPS. 

Google on the phone sucks for that, you can't do it.  You have to put together a system of software from other people to make it work. The only way I know how to do it requires a Windows PC and an Android phone.  I know my method won't work on an Iphone and I don't know of any methods for that.  There might be, just dunno.

Plan the route on Google Maps.  Put in lots of waypoints to force the route to be on the roads you want.  The more the better because we are going to translate that twice.

Download ITN Converter from the link below and put that on your PC. Copy the full URL from the Google map you made above and paste it into ITN.  Then there is an export button that will convert that to a file for your phones Navigation program.  It supports most programs. It is free.

http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&itemid=3&lang=en

Get a good Nav program for your phone. I use Sygic. It is cool, you can download maps for the whole US...state by state so you just get the states you need. Then you copy the file from ITN to your phone and open it with Sygic.  Sometimes it takes a try or two to get all the routes/waypoint right. Sygic is like 25 bucks for all of North America.  There is a free version you can try for a week or two.

https://www.sygic.com/gps-navigation

• Upvote 1

@Tonik that sygic looks pretty nice I may give that a try. I like that it gives you info on speed cameras and stuff too. I try to run Waze in the background but it relies on people annotating where speed traps are and if your in the country I doubt anyone is using that app.

3 minutes ago, Xsr900Rider said:

@Tonik that sygic looks pretty nice I may give that a try. I like that it gives you info on speed cameras and stuff too. I try to run Waze in the background but it relies on people annotating where speed traps are and if your in the country I doubt anyone is using that app.

Just turn off the sharp curve warnings, it will drive you insane.

Edited by Tonik

Apparently I have a reading comprehension problem.

ride with gps has a nice web interface for planning routes before you leave. Easier than google maps IMHO. 

I prefer a garmin for navigation. Currently I run an etrex 30 with Garmin city navigator maps. Once you upload your GPX tracks you can be assured they follow your intended route even if your GPS does not have the streets. 

OSM map is a free nav app with state by state files. The first few are free. It do OK with following routes but like Sygic does require lots of waypoints. Tonic always recommends Sygic for Android users and he uses it alot so should know its pluses and minuses.  

Oh if sygic is for android I have iPhone. I am also leaning a little towards gps since my phone battery sucks and either way I'm going to have to add a power option for whatever I am using as carrying quick recharge batteries is a pain(did that this last weekend). I'm guessing gps is water resistant unlike my phone (had it in a ziplock in the ram mount this last weekend)which would be nice since I tend to plan a ride and go no matter what since it is hard to get out with a family. 

4 minutes ago, Xsr900Rider said:

Oh if sygic is for android I have iPhone.

They have it for iPhOnE but the conversion system does not work....there is no way to import the file into the IpHoNE

If you go down the Garmin/TomTom route, I recommend Tyre for route making. it is like a more advanced ITN converter. I use a Garmin 590, it's overpriced and has a steep learning curve IMO. I also have Sygic on my phone, using the same method as @Tonik. It is simple and works great. If you have an old android laying around, you can make it work. All the maps are downloaded to the phone so it is an offline system.

58 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Garmin Zumo 550

Seems like it's easy to find routes on different motorcycle websites that use Google maps.   Google map routes can then be converted to a GPX file for free here:  http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Then it's simple to upload to the Garmin.

I need to look into this, because Garmin Basecamp requires an IT degree to use.

Yeah I had basecamp with my garmin alpha gps collars for my bird dogs and it was a pain sometimes and I wasn't even programming routes just setting property boundaries so I knew if the dogs got too far out.

I am surprised the prices are still so high considering smartphones can be used for navigation with just a few bells and whistles missing

26 minutes ago, Qman said:

I need to look into this, because Garmin Basecamp requires an IT degree to use.

Garmin software is absolute garbage.  Sometimes I use basecamp to view existing routes, but I'd never waste time creating a route with it.  The method I mentioned above is better and much simpler. 

• Upvote 2

I still use an old version of MicroSoft Streets and Trips from like 2011

Plan the route, export the .gpx file to my computer and copy it to my Garmin 590.

Not perfect but works for me

• Upvote 1

I have been using CoPilot GPS app for a few years now. It uses the GPS function of the phone and doesn't use data or need cell service. If I remember correctly, I paid about $5 for it. 

I used it last summer on a month long trip through the Rockies without issue. It allows me to connect through my Bluetooth headset and provides turn by turn as well as music or phone in one device.