This year's project bike

Gixxus Christ!

Buying an 84 vf700 magna semi-basket case. Everything is there minus a few turn signals and a side cover. Tank is 70/100, has dents and some rust. Motor spins, will run after maybe an hour or two of wizardry. Fork seals are blown, chrome is rusty, some connectors are melted. Seat needs new cover.

New tires, battery and fuel pump. 

$150 

I couldn't fuck this up if I tried.

20170726_161526.jpg

20170726_161518.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got it home and began diagnostic process. Brand new fuel pump wasn't running. Chased down to fuel cut relay. Tested wires going in, got voltage. Jumped hot wire to outgoing and boom, pump runs. Let carb bowls fill, thumbed starter. Bike immediately barks to life. Check pipes, bike is only running on front bank.  Check impedance on rear bank coil, get nothing. So there you have it. 

Small coolant leak from where rubber hose goes on nipple, easy shit. Few drops of gas from carb overflow. Tach not working, need to chase down wires. Box connector for stator is half melted along with connector for headlight. Fuse box looks to contain fuses rated higher than called for, plan on replacing rectifier/voltage regulator and cooked wiring. Fork seals are blown out, lots of cosmetic fuckery afoot but for a buck fiddy I did good.

• Upvote 4

VEEEEE FOOOOOUUUR POWAAAAH.
My first bike was a 1986 VF700C. Owned an '85 VF1100S as well. Loved em, wish there were more V4 bikes out there. Currently both the VMAX and RSV4/Tuono are well out of budget.
I would say absolutely check out the V4MB forums. It's a wealth of knowledge and typically has pretty good response times. Failing that, I've done a bit of work on these bikes myself. If you've got any questions, don't be afraid to shoot me a PM. Or just reply here, I hate when someone has a problem on a forum and it's resolved in PMs where I CAN'T SEE IT SO I CAN FIX THE SAME PROBLEM. But I digress: nice project! Good luck & have fun.

IQ735Bl.jpg

On 7/29/2017 at 4:59 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Check pipes, bike is only running on front bank.  Check impedance on rear bank coil, get nothing. So there you have it. 

Small coolant leak from where rubber hose goes on nipple, easy shit. Few drops of gas from carb overflow. Tach not working,

IIRC, the tach pickup is in the rear bank coils. So if those are dead, that probably explains your tach being dead as well.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Whelan said:

IIRC, the tach pickup is in the rear bank coils. So if those are dead, that probably explains your tach being dead as well.

Only wires I see for rear bank coil are the ones that operate it. Maybe it picks it up off the pulser, I'll have to look at the wiring diagram. Most of the wiring is unplugged so my guess is that it works but is not hooked up.