CrazySkullCrusher    10,597

Buying an 84 vf700 magna semi-basket case. Everything is there minus a few turn signals and a side cover. Tank is 70/100, has dents and some rust. Motor spins, will run after maybe an hour or two of wizardry. Fork seals are blown, chrome is rusty, some connectors are melted. Seat needs new cover.

New tires, battery and fuel pump. 

$150 

I couldn't fuck this up if I tried.

20170726_161526.jpg

20170726_161518.jpg

• Upvote 1

Qman    224

Gotta love a V4!  

Hellmutt    8,855

Make it live again!

Qman    224
57 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Make it live again!

Call it "Frankenbike"!

Tpoppa    10,940

I've logged a few miles on a V45 back in the day.

redkow97    7,693

That garage looks familiar.  I may have bought a Nighthawk 700(?) from that guy a few years ago.

mojocho    890

I've got an enclosed 5x10 trailer with ramp door.  Could help out for a couple of hours if needed on saturday.  I'll just need to get it from the storage unit.  

Arranged for truck and trailer, thanks tho. Should have it back at the house by 3. Plan to have it running by 6 or 7. Then begins the process of making it safe to ride, swapping all fluids, checking brakes and tires, etc....

hiro    53

Does something that age need all hoses replaced? How bad is that wiring? More photos!

Got it home and began diagnostic process. Brand new fuel pump wasn't running. Chased down to fuel cut relay. Tested wires going in, got voltage. Jumped hot wire to outgoing and boom, pump runs. Let carb bowls fill, thumbed starter. Bike immediately barks to life. Check pipes, bike is only running on front bank.  Check impedance on rear bank coil, get nothing. So there you have it. 

Small coolant leak from where rubber hose goes on nipple, easy shit. Few drops of gas from carb overflow. Tach not working, need to chase down wires. Box connector for stator is half melted along with connector for headlight. Fuse box looks to contain fuses rated higher than called for, plan on replacing rectifier/voltage regulator and cooked wiring. Fork seals are blown out, lots of cosmetic fuckery afoot but for a buck fiddy I did good.

• Upvote 4

Qman    224
On 7/29/2017 at 5:10 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

20170729_170111.jpg

20170729_170102.jpg

Great work, would love to try something like that, but this lazy old curmudgeon just wants to ride!

I hardly ride anymore. Too much other shit to do. I am riding tomorrow tho, took the day off and everything. I just love a v4 and coildnt pass this one up. It'll make a nice flip next spring and ill profit a grand or so.

• Upvote 1

mojocho    890

20170729_170102.jpg

That bike runs on Jagermeister.  That's gotta smell great and have some oomph.

Tonik    10,856

Bottom right of that pic, it looks like the fourth socket from the right is out of order.

20170729_170102.jpg

20 hours ago, mojocho said:

That bike runs on Jagermeister.  That's gotta smell great and have some oomph.

There is actually a tutorial I did somewhere in the tech and tips section on how to build that little external tank. 

2talltim    9,677

Looks like it's ready for dank whoolies. :springer:

Whelan    5

VEEEEE FOOOOOUUUR POWAAAAH.
My first bike was a 1986 VF700C. Owned an '85 VF1100S as well. Loved em, wish there were more V4 bikes out there. Currently both the VMAX and RSV4/Tuono are well out of budget.
I would say absolutely check out the V4MB forums. It's a wealth of knowledge and typically has pretty good response times. Failing that, I've done a bit of work on these bikes myself. If you've got any questions, don't be afraid to shoot me a PM. Or just reply here, I hate when someone has a problem on a forum and it's resolved in PMs where I CAN'T SEE IT SO I CAN FIX THE SAME PROBLEM. But I digress: nice project! Good luck & have fun.

IQ735Bl.jpg

Whelan    5
On 7/29/2017 at 4:59 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Check pipes, bike is only running on front bank.  Check impedance on rear bank coil, get nothing. So there you have it. 

Small coolant leak from where rubber hose goes on nipple, easy shit. Few drops of gas from carb overflow. Tach not working,

IIRC, the tach pickup is in the rear bank coils. So if those are dead, that probably explains your tach being dead as well.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Whelan said:

IIRC, the tach pickup is in the rear bank coils. So if those are dead, that probably explains your tach being dead as well.

Only wires I see for rear bank coil are the ones that operate it. Maybe it picks it up off the pulser, I'll have to look at the wiring diagram. Most of the wiring is unplugged so my guess is that it works but is not hooked up.