Please advise me on what bike to buy.

jschaf

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Test ride one.  I'll bet it would handle mach retard extremely well.

No power wheelies in 3rd gear though. Or really at all. 

Power-wise, it's on par with a D675 with a tune. 

Love my Streety though. 

Edited by what

On 7/17/2017 at 8:49 AM, Tpoppa said:

You are describing the 1290, Tuono, or S1000R (not RR).  The riding experience on all 3 would be fantastic, but the ownenership/dealership experience on the KTM or Ape might not be so great.  I'd give the BMW the nod for that reason.

If it was me & was looking to  buy a brand new bike for "demon releasing 500 mile street rides,"  I'd be taking a long hard look at the FZ10 or Ducati Supersport S 

Unfortunately, according to consumer reports, BMWs are the least reliable of new motorcycles. Anecdotally, I've seen more BMWs (3) have catastrophic failures on rides than any other brand. As nice as they seem, I definitely don't trust them more than Aprilia...though that's not saying much.
https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/17/is-harley-davidson-the-worst-motorcycle-money-can.aspx

m_bmw.JPG.63c83120e19086490c9c4c1f2411fbf2.JPG

Seems like Jim is in the same department I am, in terms of what he wants. Naked baby!  At the top of my wish list right now is the Tuono 1100 RF, and a very close second is the FZ10. That motor in the FZ10 screams, and the touring edition with some  bags has got to be one amazing motorcycle. Plus, the FZ10 is only 12,999 brand new.

596f87aabd0de_m_fz10tour.jpg.b2d1ba01249e89b011251bc4d3abac10.jpg

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/07/21/2017-yamaha-fz10-14-fast-facts/

This video review of the FZ10 is incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEMPDeS3Ls

I also love the look the white and blue MV Agusta Brutale 800. Sexy as shit. Fit and finish is jaw dropping. But, perhaps a little too exotic.

mv_agusta_brutale.jpg.08aa958750ff04cc780ebbd7aadd3ed5.jpg

mv_agusta_brutale2.jpg.7ee256849b3a500543325724e40617f3.jpg

Edited by Blitz
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

Unfortunately, according to consumer reports, BMWs are the least reliable of new motorcycles. Anecdotally, I've seen more BMWs (3) have catastrophic failures on rides than any other brand. As nice as they seem, I definitely don't trust them more than Aprilia...though that's not saying much.
https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/17/is-harley-davidson-the-worst-motorcycle-money-can.aspx

Saying HD is more reliable than BMW is like saying a Yugo is more reliable than a Ferrari.  Could be true on paper.  The Ferrari is infinitely more complex, so statistically you're gonna have more failures, naturally.   But which would you rather drive?

Additionally, the average BMW rider rides  A LOT!  Not so with your average HD, and probably other brands to a lesser degree.

Edited by Qman

20 hours ago, Blitz said:

19 hours ago, Qman said:

Saying HD is more reliable than BMW is like saying a Yugo is more reliable than a Ferrari.  Could be true on paper.  The Ferrari is infinitely more complex, so statistically you're gonna have more failures, naturally.   But which would you rather drive?

Additionally, the average BMW rider rides  A LOT!  Not so with your average HD, and probably other brands to a lesser degree.

I seriously considered purchasing a new BMW S1000R.  I think it's a great bike, but the potential cost of ownership scared me away.

Not sure if BMWs or Aprilias are more reliable, but BMW has a vastly superior dealer network.  After owning 3 Buells (that had TERRIBLE dealer support from HD's dealer network), I really have no interest in owning anything like a KTM, MV, or Aprilia even though I really like some of their motorcycles.  IMO, Ducati & BMW are borderline, but I would own another Triumph someday. 

With any of those brands I think it's wise to ride as many miles as possible while the motorcycle is still under warranty and let the dealer sort out any teething issues on the factory's dime.  Having a second bike, preferably something Japanese, is also a smart move.

I'm more of a riding enthusiast than a motorcycle enthusiast.

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 3

Now you folks have got me second guessing & concerned about reliability& everything else. Always been Japanese I4 guy up to now,  My wife's had a little M696 Ducati & that was a hoot to ride so I'm thinking a big twin with over 2x the HP with sensible ergos  & modern electronics would be a double hoot.  I'm aware that back tires would be a pay to play consumable. Then Tony throws in the Triumph factor.  I had no idea about the Street Trip 765 RS until you mentioned it Tony.  Definitely worth checking out, although only (lol) 121 Hp at the crank is a light bike (366 lb dry, probably 405 ready to ride with a full tank) & looks super fun.  + I'm 6'2" & haven't even sat on said Triumph yet. My take on reliability is to stay away from the Apes & the BMs (although that S1000R is hot & can be had for a good price).  Know nothing about the MV Agustas but am wary. Ducati's & KTMs are equal in the reliability Dept, & Triumphs are slotted in there between the Japanese & Ducati + KTM.  Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you can't help yourself anyway.) This isn't going to be a decision by committee anyhow but it's interesting hearing all opinions. Keep em coming.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, jschaf said:

Now you folks have got me second guessing & concerned about reliability& everything else. Always been Japanese I4 guy up to now,  My wife's had a little M696 Ducati & that was a hoot to ride so I'm thinking a big twin with over 2x the HP with sensible ergos  & modern electronics would be a double hoot.  I'm aware that back tires would be a pay to play consumable. Then Tony throws in the Triumph factor.  I had no idea about the Street Trip 765 RS until you mentioned it Tony.  Definitely worth checking out, although only (lol) 121 Hp at the crank is a light bike (366 lb dry, probably 405 ready to ride with a full tank) & looks super fun.  + I'm 6'2" & haven't even sat on said Triumph yet. My take on reliability is to stay away from the Apes & the BMs (although that S1000R is hot & can be had for a good price).  Know nothing about the MV Agustas but am wary. Ducati's & KTMs are equal in the reliability Dept, & Triumphs are slotted in there between the Japanese & Ducati + KTM.  Correct me if I'm wrong (I know you can't help yourself anyway.) This isn't going to be a decision by committee anyhow but it's interesting hearing all opinions. Keep em coming.  Thanks.

Have you looked into the FZ10?

12 hours ago, Blitz said:

Have you looked into the FZ10?

I've sat on one.  On the plus side, it would probably be reliable & would fit ok, & not drag pegs at a spirited pace.  On the minus side,  it's supposed to weigh in the mid 400s, only be about 130 Hp at the wheel & It's an I4 (crossplane, but psychological negative for me).  I'm in a quandary man. 

12 hours ago, Tonik said:

I think you have Ducati rated a little high on reliability, especially if you get on with a bunch of electronics. It wont be terrible but it may happen.

Ducati doesn't have anything that really interests me right now anyhow.  That  circa 2010 Street Fighter was nice. That new Supersport, to me, is like, Ducati does Ninja 1000.  Panagale's are nice, but I'm gonna be 59 next month.  Maybe I should just take up yoga & get another young guy's bike. Quandry man. Damn, I'm gettin' as bad as others on here with indecision. I think it's contagious.

Edited by jschaf

1 minute ago, jschaf said:

Gotta get some new tires for the Ninja.  Works been a bear lately & I gotta get out for some rides with you guys.

I have a set of 120/190 angel gt a specs still in the plastic.  If you need some quick.

Well, if you think the FZ10 is low on power I won't bring up the Speed Triple I guess. The Speedy just got updated for 2016+... specs are ok and components are all really nice on the R model but power is down compared to the I4 super nakeds. Looks like it only makes 14 more horsepower at the crank than the new Street Triple RS. 

The ergos on the new Street Triple are pretty close to my 2010. The RS has a slightly lower seat height than mine though I think. You're welcome to ride my Streety anytime you'd like if you're curious. 

From Wiki:

"For 2016 Triumph made 104 changes to the Speed Triple. Ride-by-wire has been added for the first time with 5 ride modes with traction control and ABS that can be turned on or off. The new engine is narrower as well as the smaller more efficient radiator are just some of the new updates. The new Speed Triple has a wet weight of 212 kg (467 lb) and a claimed dry weight of 192 kg (423 lb). Power for the new Speed Triple is a claimed 140 hp (100 kW) @ 9,500 rpm and 82.6 lb·ft (112.0 N·m) @ 7,850 rpm."

with the new street triple did they just kill the speed triple? or do they have bigger plans for that engine? Only time will tell i guess. 

the other day was at the dealership, saw the new striple in person sat on it and made vrooom vroom sounds. 

to be honest in person look wise not much eye popping difference, in fact many of the after market support same with current model. 

the components stand out both in spec wise as well as blink factor , brembos and ohlins etc 

ride position felt more comfortable than my current street triple, dont know how to explain, more natural, good ergonomic bend on hips, knees and elbows. And enough space and "stoopness" to tuck. 

Of course the beast inside the bike is completely different than the current one. Some day will test ride it and see. 

47 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Yea, you definitely get the trophy.

Yeah, boy! The sad thing is, I can be indecisive over the smallest things, yet if it's complex enough I'll just give up and either make a choice or defer to someone else. Like on the fine details of knee surgery. heh At least I'm not affected while on the road.